iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harold gave me the bug! (Andy builds a mill)

Started by ADfields, March 27, 2003, 01:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADfields

Well I been thinking on this some time and today I made up my mind!!   I am gonna sell my little MSG sawmill and build a bigger badder mill from scratch. :o   I called a guy that has wanted my MSG and struck up a deal and I will move it to his place and set it back up for him in the morning.   Then I will go to Anchorage to get steel as the steel yard in the valley hear is Air Liquid Inc and French owned. ::)   The french wont get my dime! >:(  

I was gonna build a WM type like Harold but I don't want to futts around with the bearings with the cantilever head and have settled on a 2 post on a very ridged frame.   I must say that I am quite nervous in not having my mill till I get the new one made, it's like selling the wife or something. :-/   I wont have a bit of trouble building a band mill, I just don't like selling tools that I am good Friends with. :'(

I will keep y'all up on how it go's, wish me luck! 8) 8)
Andy

Jeff

Make sure you post your progress on one thread so we can follow it!! I know you know how to post pictures. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Don'T blame me !!!!  I didn't know any better !! ::) :D :D :D  Good luck. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Deadheader I figure you will be probably be building some kind of new project soon so you get a second chance. :)

If we can get Andy to do this right, he can fill us in on the whole thing, almost like a diary. He could even keep a running cost on parts and materials or the deals he gets on parts.

Oh A-N-D-Y... Are ya listening?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

I been thinkin about building an edger. The Corley I had with the Circle mill was so simple, I can't believe I can't produce one that would be as good. It was a 24" edger, I think. ::) Had a simple slide handle for different width's and an adjustable fence that worked with the fixed blade, up to 6" boards, I think?? ::)  It's h*ll to get old ?? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

I hear you Jeff.   I will give a full accounting of what I have in it stage by stage when it's done and a ruff count on the way.   Yup I can post pix even and will when I have something to show.   Today I got some of the steel for the tracks and bunks, just under $300 for that at new Alaska price.   Also picked up the band wheels, hubs and some other stuff for $230.   I am going with new trailer tires that are 25" tall and had them spin balanced.   Cant make up my mind on power system still.   First I'm thinking apposed 4 banger belt drive like Harold then I kick around hydraulic drive with the motor down on the frame and even good old electric pops in my head from time to time for how simple and cheep it is. ??? ::)   The only draw back I see to electric is I would need a DanG big genset if I wanted to go portable or if I ever move out in the woods and run my place on wind/solar like I would like some day.   I wonder how well a 10 horse 220V would pull just the band. ???   I could build a genset to pull that I think.   It's hard to find tork ratings for this small stuff and horse power just don't tell what the real power it has is. ???   I know WM sells the 25 hp but I don't know about smaller motors.

Harold, I look forward to your edger! 8)
I been thinking on a 4 side planer for some time now but want to get my hands on one that I can watch running before I set out to kill myself with flying sharp steel! :o
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

Man, You ARE adventurous !! :o Either that, or, you're crazier than I am !! :o

Re: yer mill drive, I had thought of a hydraulic wheel hub drive. A little pricey, but, as simple as it gets. A hydraulic flow control valve would be great for head travel. I just didn't have the dough for that kind of set-up. :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

It will take time but it will be hydraulic and air everything but I still cant make up my mind os the drive type or the kind of motor.   Cant find a hydraulic wheelmotor fast enough right off so may belt up a plane motor, 500rpm is the fastest wheelmotor I find and looks like I would need around 900rpm or so.   It will all come together. ;)   Got to get back to my cutting and welding now, just stoped in for a bit. ::)
Andy

ADfields

Well this is what I got done before I went to Anchorage and played with a new LT70 that the WM Portland boys shipped up for the home show.   Great mill and I sure wish I had the 43 grand they want for it. :o   It was my first time to play with the 4 plane clamp and that thing is SWEET!! 8)   Done even know why you would need the chain turner once you got good with that clamp.
Andy

The start of the track.   It's 20' long because my shop bay is just 22' and I don't think I need more.   Has 5 bunks on 48" centers, later it will get 2 floating bunks to cut shorts.

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like it oughta hold a whack of logs when it's done!! :D
  Could ya lighten up a little, the pitchers, I mean??  ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Andy, when ya get it finished, it's supposed to work sumpin like this ;D :) :)

First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

Hay harold yours is looking great. ;)

I am having a HecK of a time finding someone that knows about hydraulic motors to drive the band.   I want a motor that can give me about 20horse @ 5800rpm all day long and not cook the fluid.   Sounds simple right, well it don't to me now. ::)   Who is the hydraulic folks on hear?   HELP!!   I am 90% that this is the way I want to go at this point.

I have the heavy subframe all welded and found a trailer axle for $20 and springs for &10 but the old axle needs rebuilt, I do have all the new parts for it as it's the same as 2 of my other trailers.  

I have also been working on a homemade Alaskan type chainsaw mill when I get stumped on the big mill.   Thats looking like it will be a slick deal when it's done. ;)
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

Well, Don'T feel pregnant !!!! Today I FRIED the DanG electronic feed motor controller.
   Thought I was ready to take this baby on the road.
    I took a chance and called Woodmizer, to see if I could buy one of their circuit boards. Nope! That's OK. Hadda try.
    SOOO, I calls the people at Leeson that makes the motor. They have a motor controller that will do just what I want. How do I hook it up to a reversing switch, I asked. Have NO idea. Call the reversing switch folks.
   SOOOO, I calls them folks. They don't know if I can use a controller hooked to their switch. It will work WITHOUT the controller. I says, I can't cut good boards with the sawhead traveling 30 MPH. Guy says, I dunno !!!!

There are 4 different issues for hydraulic applications, available at Surplus Center. 800-488-3407. One is mostly on rotary hydraulic uses and how to apply them. $29.95

Now, you tell me where to find a motor technician????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

The woodmizer design uses a switch for forward and backward.   The forward goes through the logic and rheostat.  The backward bypasses all that and goes straight to the motor. Reverse is at full speed.

DanG, what do you call those switches.  My brain just went into neutral. :-/

Fla._Deadheader

Reversing DRUM switch.  I had a board that Minn-boy sent me. I hooked it up and found out where the bad spot was. That's why HE quit using it????

Won't take much and I'll put a DanG hydraulic motor and controller on the mill. I KNOW that'll werk !!
   First, it is ridiculed;

C_Miller

Harold,
     the machine looks good but you're standin' kinda close aincha?   ever work out anything with the remote control you were interested in?

C
CJM

Fla._Deadheader

C. Most woodmizer users are either riding behind the saw or chasing it. I chose to stand at the dumb end and watch it saw.   The remote never came to be. I settled on the "stationary" operator position you see in the pic.
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

Harold it just so happens I got this real smart brother in law who is a CNC man.   He builds stuff for NASA and the Navy thats so far over my head it makes me feel real dumb. ::)   His best Friend is a motor man and runs Electric Rewind Inc in Phoenix so if one don't know the other would.   I will give them a call in the AM for you and see what they say.  

You know when I put the 12 volt blower on my blacksmith forge I went to Home Depot or the like and picked up a $10 110 volt in the wall dimer switch with the round knob and it works fine to this day.   It's not the same all the time and needs to be adjusted as it worms up and cools down but it works, got to watch that it don't stall with a bit of juice going to it or it will cook the brushes and armature.   The motor is a car heater fan with brushes in it.   The dimmer switch is just a rheostat I think.
Andy

Minnesota_boy

Hey Harold,
Just where was the bad spot on that controller board?  It used to work for weeks without a flinch, then one day it would be intermittent all day, then go back to working fine.  I just couldn't afford those intermittent days when I had a helper who would jsut stand around waiting for the controller to work again.  It's so much better with one that works when I want to and when I don't.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Fla._Deadheader

Hi M-boy. I will take a pic of the board. It burned a spot in one of the tracks??  I have a line on a controller. Just for comparison, do you remember what you paid for the new board?? I'm trying to see if the prices are justified, or, if I change to hydramatic?? ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Minnesota_boy

Since Woodmizer doesn't broadcast their parts prices, neither will I.  Check your IM for the message.

ADfields

Harold I am told it's not a complex thing to speed control a DC motor.   If you have a perm/mag you get the perm mag controller or if it's a SCR type motor you just use a rheostat on it.   They tell me with a DC motor you will cook it if it's slowed down more than about 60% for long so you may have a much to fast motor for what you are doing.   He explained that if you have a 100rpm gear motor and you want it to live it should not be asked to run at 40rpm or under but you would be better off with a 50rpm motor and over speed it from time to time if you need that big of a swing in rpm.   So he is saying gear the thing so when it's running under the most load for the most time it's close to the rpm it likes then over speed it a bit to return the sawhead with less load and for less time.   He tells me if you want full control from 0rpm to 100rpm that is very hard to do with DC.   Hope that helps ya out.
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks, Andy. I have it reduced by 1 1/2 " pulley to 10" pulley. That's about 7 1/2:1?? The motor turns 1800, so, that makes it about 240 on the sprocket. That would be great on the return and if I reduced the motor speed just 40%, that would be 144 or nearly a crawl. I believe most of my problem is wiring up the controller to the reversing drum switch. The way the manufacturer shows it, I can't seem to make the same connections??  I am pretty good with REAL electricity, NOT electronics. I just seem to be missing something??

Ron, I meant for you to get to me via PM. I was in a hurry posting the request.
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

So at the 144rpm what is the feed rate?   what is the sprocket O.D. on the finle shaft?

1.5" to 10" pulleys with a 1800 rpm motor =270rpm output.
60% of 270 =162rpm not 144
Thats 170 feet per minet or around 2 mile an hour on a 4" O.D.sprocket  witch sounds fast to me for your slowest feed rate.   Remember you cook it running under 40% of its spec rpm.

127 feet/min on a 3" and 85 feet/min on a 2" and 64 on a 1-1/2"

I just got the feeling you are turning it to slow under load and cooking it.
Andy

Minnesota_boy

If you use a rheostat to slow a motor, it will overheat the rheostat or the motor as the voltage will be divided between the 2, but then the motor wants to draw more amperage at the lower voltage.  I think you would be able to slow the motor to a crawl without overheating if you used a pulse width modulation circuit to control it.  These work by applying full power, but for only a fraction of the time, that fraction being controlled by the pulse width modulator.  I'd try to design one but it has been too many years since I studied that type of thing.

Thank You Sponsors!