iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dogs and chickens

Started by LeeB, June 15, 2007, 09:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Any ideas on stopping a dog from killing chickens?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

I don't know of a dog that was ever broke from it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Once he starts, I don't know of a way.  You can use some preventive psychology when he is a pup, though.  When he is ready to wean, shut him up in the chicken house for a week or two.  The hens will make a gentleman out of him.  He will protect your chickens for the rest of his life. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pineywoods

we broke one. Caught her in the act, grabbed the dog by the collar with one hand, dead chicken by the feet in the other hand. Used the dead chicken to chastise the dog with vigor.
another way that usually works is to obtain one of them loosiana fighting gamecocks. any dog that ties into one of them usually winds up the looser.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Fla._Deadheader

Here's how a guy broke a coon dog from chasing deer. Took 1 dog, 1 deer hide, 1 barrel with top, and went up a hill. Put all ingredients in the barrel, put the top on, and rolled down the hill, beatin the snot out of the barrel with a club. After that, the  dog would climb trees to get away from the deer hide 

Just substitute deer hide with dead chikkin.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dan_Shade

shocker collars can work too.

there was a dog whisperer show on national geographic channel about a dog killing chickens.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

Harold, I don't know if that would work, but it sure sounds like fun! :D :D :D

Come to think of it, I did break one dog from it.  He wasn't a real killer, though.  He was just showing a bit too much interest in chasing them.  I tied him up to a barn post with a short chain for a couple of months.  The chickens strutted all around him, but every time he went for one he got jerked back by the chain.  By the time he had served his sentence, he would lay sleeping with a chicken standing on his back.  It seems cruel to keep him tied up that way, but it's better than shooting him.

Only other way I know is to build a better fence.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thurlow

Reminds me of "Ole Ruby";  her mother was a feral dog who had pups under a fellow church
members  house.  We got her when she was 6 or 8 weeks old and had her during my growing-up years.  The lady of the house where she was born was named Ruby;  don't know what she thought about us naming the dog after her.  When we brought her home, the undisputed KING of the yard, barn lot and environs was a huge Dominecker rooster.  My 2 younger sisters were afraid to go to the toilet by themselves; the rooster would chase and flog them.  He made the puppy's life miserable for a few months; chasing and pecking and making her cry.  When Ruby got grown, she made the rooster pay many, many times; never killed him, although she could have at any time.  She'd get him by the neck and shake him just as she would a rat, then turn him loose.  He'd be so "drunk" he could hardly stand up and would stagger off with Ruby just watching.  He was a changed rooster.................
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Don K

Mama tied a dead chicken up close under our German shep. throat on his collar on time. After about three days of not being able to get comfortable he was more than ready to get away from a chicken.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

clif

I had a friend that had a Great Dane that started bring a dead chicken home frequently.  She living alone did not know what to do so she took matters into her own hands and tied the dog  on a short rope and beat the tar out of the dog with the dead chicken.  She did not  know if the dog stopped killing chickens, but it never brought another one home!  :D
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

WDH

If it is an important dog, the shock collar might be worth the investment.  The barrel approach does seem to be psychologically instructive, though ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

okie

The fighting cock thing works wonders. I had an excellent squirrel dog that got a taste for chickens and had it not been for her talents in the woods she would have not lived long enough for the taste to get out of her mouth, I give her to a friend that I hunted with and he kept fighting cocks and said he would fix her but I didnt believe him. He brought her to my house the next weekend and that dog would tuck tail and run from a banty hen yelping like she was being beat. I'm not sure how he cooked it but the ingredients were one dog and one game cock slightly stirred.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

mometal77

I remember growing up how my dad used dynamite to get rid of a few coyotes.  That were eating the turkeys and chickens with a 10 foot high fence.  I still will remember the set up with the five gallon bucket.  He never found the bucket just heard a big bang one night.  Never found the coyote either.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

ARKANSAWYER

On our place most were cured by a .22 but a few were converted by a good flogging with the dead bird then have it wired to it's collar for a few days.  Just can not stand for a dog that kills birds or sucks eggs.  Sucking egg dog is offten weened by taking an egg and shooting hot sauce in with a needle.  They loose the taste for eggs most quick.
ARKANSAWYER

DWM II

I like my shock collers on the dogs. There hasnt been a bad habit I couldnt break yet, but we aint got no chickens here, yet. ;) I'll get me some soon, when I do I'll dig this back up and give a report.
Stewardship Counts!

caz

asy

What about a couple of Alpaca?

They'll apparently bond with the chickens, and protect them against dogs and foxes etc.

I find it fascinating, and have had some discussion with Alpaca people about it. I'll certainly be looking at getting a couple when we finally get to the farm and have chooks.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Dan_Shade

a burro will protect things from dogs too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Robert R

If your chickens and roam and so do you dogs, there is a fine balance to be sought.  I don't want my dog afraid of chickens.  I want her to understand they are mine and mine alone so she will protect them.  I've tried two of the above-mentioned methods with little success from me.  I've tied around their necks and flogged the snot out of them but both cases resulting in a dog fearing or ignoring chickens when it could have been defending them.  My shock collar was dead before I had chickens so I never got a chance to test that one.  What has worked best for me has been obedience training for sit and stay.  When really good at it, do it while the chickens are roaming nearby and eventually right in the middle of them.  When he truly understands "No" and when he understands the birds are yours and to be protected, you will be miles ahead in chicken longevity.

That being said, I have tried this system on three different dogs.  One was real good about unless he came upon a chicken outside of the chicken yard.  Another I finally just relocated to a chicken free environment.  The dog I have right now has never tried but has had a lot of obedience done in the midst of them.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

beenthere

That "sit and stay" training sounds good.
Now, I'm wonderin if Norm can get Patty to train the 'chicken-eatin' horse that way... Sit and stay might be a whole new concept for the horse... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Asy's Alpaca comment reminded me of this story in BC

Link

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

james

teach a horse to sit and and stay = flat chicken smiley
james 

LeeB

I recon I'll try the shock collars. I've got a pretty penny invested in these two dogs already. Both my othe dogs have never even given the chickens a second glance. The chickens are free range and I really don't want to keep the dogs penned. Hope it works.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

asy

Let us know, won't you, Lee!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!