iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 088 or equivelant

Started by maple flats, June 14, 2007, 05:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I am helping the Peterson folks at their booth at the NYS Woodsman's Field Days this year (Aug 17,18,19) and I have been asked to see if they can rent a Stihl 088 or equal to use for their skill mill and Alaskan conversion. I have not been able to find the 088 listed anywhere to know what the horsepower is to determin a comp in other brands. Can anyone tell me the HP or at least the max bar size rating? This way I can also try to find a Husky or Dolmar or other big pro class saw. The one they have used in the past had a 36" bar but I sense that a 36 left lots of extra power, they again want a 36" bar. After getting some info I have to try to rent the saw for the show.
Thanks for any help.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

SawTroll

The MS880 is rated at 8.7hp, I believe, and is about 121cc.

The Husky 3120 is the closest current model, 118cc, and a 8.4hp rating - but I believe those sold now are seriously handicapped by a rev limiting coil. Originally, they were rated at 9.2hp, as I remember it.

For other options, you will have to look into discontinued models, like the Dolmar 166.......
Information collector.

Ianab

What Sawtroll said... they want a BIG saw  ;)

At a pinch they could probably use anything over 90cc and it would work OK. That means the more common 066/MS 660,  Husky 395XP or a Dolmar 9010. But with chainsaw milling, bigger is better  :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jokers

Where do you suppose that you can rent an 880? Given that they are ~ $1500 saws, how much is Peterson willing to pay for a rental? I don`t think that Home Depot has them!  :D

Just curious how this can work out, Thanks!

sawguy21

I have never seen a large saw in the rental yards and don't want to think what the average customer would do to it.  ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jokers

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 18, 2007, 10:33:43 AM
I have never seen a large saw in the rental yards and don't want to think what the average customer would do to it.  ::)
......or what a large saw may do to the average customer! :o

Thank You Sponsors!