iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have got to work night shift this weekend.

Started by Tillaway, March 26, 2003, 06:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tillaway

Our first Spotted Owl survey for the year.  Oh boy. ::)  Well, the biologist assures us that there aren't any around.

That means my Saturday night will be spent stumbling around in the dark making strange noises...well on second thought it, maybe thats not that unusual for me.  So my wife says. ;D ;)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Tom

So.....You're going Spotted Owl spotting, eh?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

hydeoutman

Spotted Owl, They taste like chicken I think :D :D

Jeff

hydeoutman, you don't eat those sand turkeys up there do you? You know the ones. Thier legs stick out the oven door. ;)

Tillaway

No... they taste more like eagle.   ;D  Yep, you connect the dots then paint by numbers. ;)

gyppo_forester

I have a friend named Al who works down in Southern Oregon. We called him "Spotted Al" (as in "I spotted Al down at the Brite Spot today having the blue plate special"). He always claimed to be closer to Al Bundy though. :D

Frank_Pender

Two bits of advice, put on earmuffs to keep your ears  warm and two, leave no sign of feathers after connecting the dots. :D
There is another purpose for the muffs.  I suppose you know what that is, don't you?
Frank Pender

Tillaway

I'm half deaf anyway, no need for muffs. ;D

Texas Ranger

Knowing a very little about raptors, I suspect that the spotted owl is capable of spotting you.  A rain coat may be appropriate.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

biziedizie

Speaking of owls we have this owl that's been hanging around the last few days and he's making alot of noise! Aren't owls spose to sleep during the day? This thing is driving me nuts and as the courts told me I can't have a gun anymore I can't blast this thing out of the tree! He's up about 20' and I thought about climbing but he might crap on me as I go up! Any ideas?

Steve

Tom

biziedizie

Now there's a good idea Tom! I think I will go out and buy my kid one in the morning. I was gonna use the crossbow but I hate shooting up as the cross hairs go off a bit and with my luck I would miss hooter and the bolt would end up jabbing through someones skull that's walking down the street.

Steve

Tom

If you don't want your boy to hurt anything, get him a bag of dried beans to shoot. Northerns or Pintos will wade through the foliage and Blackeyes are smaller and less apt to break a window. :D

The wildlife will clean up after him too.

You might get a real war going here before the owl desides to leave. :D :D

biziedizie

I guess the beans will be better then ball bearings :) Still looking around internet land to see if I can kill hooter, there's probably a law that says that I can't. It's probably protected by some law saying there's only ten million of them left so we better not knock them off! I think what I should do is play lawn darts with my kid out in the field and put a lawn dart in the sling shot then atleast I could say it was an accident.
  Wish my neighbor was home as he will shoot at anything even if it's dead!

Steve

Weekend_Sawyer

I was thinking bottle rockets might do the trick. I have used them on the black bird swarms we get around here. They will empty the feeders and leave the cardanals looking insulted!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

biziedizie

Weekend_Sawyer where can I get bottle rockets? I not only want to get it out of the tree but I'm thinking along the lines of eating him too. My mind is still thinking about a savage 300 lever action with the power scope on it! Might not be much of him left but there might be a drumstick or a wing that will hit the ground! :D

Steve

Tillaway

You might want to make sure its not old spot first.  Owls.. all of them any way are not legal to shoot in the US.  I suspect Canada has the same restrictions.  If it is not particularly afraid of you, kind of small, and has brown eyes then its old spot himself.  They will live in near people in fact one used to hang out at a Safeway store.

biziedizie

I think I need to find me a pic of these owls with spots. Don't need to be spending 10 to 15 for killing a bird!  A few years ago my buddy had bad luck on a hunting trip and there was a Canada goose in his back yard so he shot it and put it on the bar b q! To this day he figuires it's ok to blast away at anything that's on his land.

Steve

Jeff

All owls are protected here as they should be. If you harrass or kill one its big trouble.

bull

Go count spotty and make sure you find a shitload of his friends the more the better....... then we can tell all the enviro freaks that they are doing well or not and why..... and then get the boys and girls (loggers) back in the woods out west.

As for killing owls, bend over and kick yourself in the A-- !! >:(

Weather you know it or not he's there for food so there must be some kind of critter in your yard or maybe your house that he is ready to erradicate......
 enjoy the sounds of wild life......  just think you could have more noisy human - yuppie neighbors
Daytime hooting may not be an owl at all..... around here the morning doves sound like owls all day long......

Jeff

bull, I wish Ida posted that. :) Thats what I was thinking this morning but was in a rush.

biziedizie

Wondering if I should even reply to this.......thinking not as you don't know me!
  Yes I do enjoy the sounds of nature and it's the best place to be as I live in it.
  The owl can stay as I know they should and for the most of what I was saying was just joking around. :D
 Get it!

Steve

dail_h

Tall pole with a steel trap on top ----works every time very ilegal
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!