iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rot resistance of swamp tupelo

Started by Jesse Frank, June 14, 2007, 08:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse Frank

Hey guys,

I was thinking of splitting out some recently downed (bulldozed) water tupelo trees for shakes on a small outbuilding..... was wondering if this stuff has a good rot resistance. I have seen people use pine and red oak for it, so I thought I might give this a try. I was looking for cedar, but haven't found much of that yet! :)
There are absolutely no absolutes in life, and that's a fact.

WDH

I don't think that it is a notably rot resistant species.  Probably on the lower end of the scale I suspect.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Water tupelo is near the bottom of the totem pole for both of the qualities you want in shakes: rot resistance and ease of splitting.  It has interlocking grain that will thwart even the most enthusiastic froe-wielder.  In your neck of the woods, red oak will be far and away the most desirable species for splittling shakes.  Find a nice one between 2 and 3 feet in diameter, and it'll really riven up your day ;D ;D ;D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jesse Frank

Tom

If it is truly Water Tupelo, there are carvers who will knock down your door to get some.  It is a soft wood, especially the base, that they treasure.  If you can get some and save the buttressed trunk, or saw into manageable blocks, you may have a windfall of dollars on your hands.  Check your area for a carving club or woodworking club with carvers.  If you have no luck and still want to pursuit it, check out Wood Magazines discussion groups.

Jesse Frank

Thanks Tom!

I got a bunch of it and have the ends painted and curing now. :)

Thank You Sponsors!