iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many logs has Tom already sawn up?

Started by ADAMINMO, June 13, 2007, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADAMINMO

How bout it Tom????? Can you give us an update on how many logs you have run on your new mill so far?Things you like about the new mill versus the old mill? Things you dislike about the new mill versus the old mill? Any improvements you would suggest? Any good stories about it yet. Inquiring minds want to know. smiley_huh2 smiley_huh2 smiley_huh2 smiley_huh2

Tom

I could lie about it and show you a picture of a cleared field and the stacked lumber at the sawmill across town, but, fact is, I haven't even taken the Bow or wrapping paper off of it yet.  :)

olyman

it would be nice if the owner--or the builder of the mill--would state what the old was like--and whats on the new---suspense is shortchanging some of us----

farmerdoug

At the rate it took Tom to get the mill back, I figure Tom will update us around Labor Day. ::) ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Tom

Well, Oly, for starters, this one isn't worn out and hasn't been damaged.  It's got much heavier toe rollers and it looks as if an effort has been made to increase lubrication on metal to metal parts.  The hydraulic tank is repositioned and dampened from vibration, the battery has been moved to be accessible by the operator from the ground.  Hydraulic hoses are in chases that will not be affected by filling with sawdust and the Igus Chain has been repositioned to support itself better.  The setworks have gone through a positive metamorphosis and the controls have been removed from the head and placed in a removable stand to eliminate vibration.  

The movable guide arm is driven with a hydraulic ram rather than an electric motor, the guides are of a different design, being made from tool steel dowels rather than plates. This is a design that is supposed to help with adjustments and make them easier.  The head of the mill is raised and lowered on Acme threads rather than a hydraulic ram. That makes it a little slower, but allows it to be lifted on each side and not twist the head.  It also is more accurate and leads to a simplified setworks mechanism.  The leg sheaths have been shortened to allow better clearance and the jack fulcrum is now a complete circle which allows the legs to be jacked in both directions.  The fuel tank is a manufactured aluminum 20gal tank built and mounted between the frames on the hitch end of the mill.  It will provide more tongue weight.  

The auxiliary clamps have been removed which saves a couple of hydraulic rams. That's OK, I seldom used them anyway and found that an inside leak also affected the major clamp.  The auxiliary clamps have been replaced by one manual clamp that is removable.  I suppose you could use as many of the manual clamps as you want.

The axles have been moved from the middle of the mill to about 2/3rds back.  This will help to eliminate bounce in the back of the frame that could cause the frame to crack and also eliminates the "swing" that was apparent when the axles were in the middle of the mill.  While this makes it a little more difficult to corner, the old style was unnerving in traffic and tight gates.

Other than dragging my gas mileage down, I experienced no problems with it between South Carolina and Florida.

The tires are larger and heavier construction and the mill tops the scale at about 9300 pounds whereas the old one was about 7500 lbs.  One of contributing factors is that the head of the mill is now being manufactured by Baker using a laser and a big break. It has allowed for hydraulic motors to be moved to the inside of the frame rather than hanging on the outside. The old Head frame was welded square tubing and everything had to be hung on the outside. Kevlar belts that raise the head are inclosed.

The Wheels that ride on the rails are not all controlled by the side of the rail like the old mill.  The wheels that follow the rail are on the left, or driven, side and the other side has no flanges but just rides on top of the rail.  Less wear should be a result.

The track cleaners are now brass rather than the old high density plastic.

The Big dial used for measuring boards, a design I've thoroughly enjoyed, now has a vinyl strip for the numbers and shouldn't be affected by high winds generated by highway speeds.

Blade tensioning is hydraulic rather than a spring.  I found that I liked the spring tensioner except for the fact that I was beginning to have difficulty in turning the handle.  Older muscles aren't as resilient as a young fellows.  I know I like the hydraulic tensioner because I've driven a mill before the Baker that had it..

The mill has electric brakes rather than the surge brakes that were on the old mill.

The coupler is of a different design.  This one is forged like the ones used on horse trailers.  The old one was made from bent sheet metal with a handle on top for tightening the coupler to the tongue.

There is still not a coffee cup holder, but, I'm going to try to find a place o hang one.

It's Blue

Other than that, it's just like the old one.  :)

ADAMINMO

I cant believe that a man with a new toy of that caliber hasn't cut a log yet.I think I would have already tried to wear it out. Ain't there any one out there to help you with it? Noone to train on it to run it for ya? Do I need to come down and let you train me?Then I can steal it again....HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Nah just kiddin ya a little bit Tom.I was just lookin to see if ya had an update about it.Let us know how things are going and how the mill is performing.

Bibbyman

I just figured all the trees have burned down and there are no more left for him to saw.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

It's not that I don't want to use it.  I've had more folks tagging at my time than I can handle lately.  Not to mention this 100+ sunshine.  There was a time I had to get out in it.

Tom_in_Mo.

Tom, heres what you can do, invite people over a group at a time and tell you will cook the "TC SPECIAL"  (steak/roast cooked over a open pit fire) but first we have a few chores (off bearing) to get done. This way you get to work the mill, they get to see the mill run. It does sound like a little too warm for such a thing right now.

OneWithWood

Tom, I can't let everyone else tell you how to run your life so I have to chime in.

Here's what you do. . .

You decide when the best time for you is and then you put out a little blurb on the web - this forum would be a good place, don't ya think?

Blurb-
Will be holding sawing, tailing, stacking, analyzing the world's problems class on (date) at (location).  Participation is limited so RSVP ASAP.  Can o' peas provided but you might wish to bring your own main course for lunch.

You get some quality help and you can supervise all the action while at the same time disseminating some of that storehouse of knowledge you have custody of.  With the remote setworks you could start the sawing from a comfortable position and then relinquish the controls so folks could get some hands on experience.  You could, I suppose if you had a mind to, set down in your umbrella equiped lounger and supervise in comfort.

Who knows these classes could grow into a regular thing.  People might come from miles around to learn at the hands of a master.  I think it has ben done before, mebbee, some guy name Leonardo?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ADAMINMO

Well Tom .... have you cut a stick or 2 with the mill yet or did the fires down there get all the trees? You could pull it up to the pig roast and fire it up ....... bet you would get alot of help there. Hopefully I will get to go to the pig roast.Tom_in_Mo says it is a great time.If I dont get to go then I will see you in Moultrie. 8)

Jeff

Adam, you gotta get out more.  :D There's a whole thread on Tom and DanG and Tom's new Baker sawing logs. I'm goona make YOU find it.  ;)

OH!  And I also want to point this thread out to you and Tom_in_Mo. I'll be needing you guys ta get busy on this...  ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=18953.0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ADAMINMO

Well I will see if maybe I can get with him and have a couple of those squares filled for ya!!! Now I just gotta figure out how to find that thread. ??? ???

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ADAMINMO

I found it pretty quick for someone who dont get out much!! :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!