iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Built a new barn door for the shop.

Started by SwampDonkey, June 13, 2007, 03:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here's the old door that needs to be replaced.

Laying out the project. The boards are tung and grooved spruce. I used screws to assemble it.

Here I have the perimeter boards to reinforce the structure, as well as a diagonal brace.

Here I have the rollers affixed to the top of the door.

The door is all hung

Finishing touches are the handle and the steel flashing to keep the rodents from chewing the door.

I'm going to dig under the door and poor a cement form, the old cement is all eroded away. I don't think it was too thick to begin with. That will keep the buggers from digging under it. Need some Tremclad on her now.  ;D

I'm prepared for war. bat_smailey  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_van

Nice job on the door - The first ones I made, I made the mistake of pulling all the boards tight with pipe clamps, nice & dry that wood was. Well, come the damp days of fall, those 9' wide doors swelled so that they put a big bow in each one. Live & learn.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

Well one coat of paint last night and one this morning. Then I dug out a 10 inch deep trough by 6 inches wide and pored by ready mix concrete. Took 5 ft3 of cement and I worked some inside where the cement has crumbled some. I don't know how well that will hold up over time. I couldn't quite get 2 inches on that section.

A closer look and the pile of dirt I removed.

The cement is hard enough to walk on. Closed the door and braced it from wind or critters.

I still have some painting to do on the trim and some nailing fixing to do before the job is complete.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Max sawdust

Looking good ;D
I need to do that my self one of these days.  I like that simple yet functional 8)
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

WDH

The door just about matches the BBQ table ;D.  Nice job, SD ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Nice looking door SD. 8)  I do have one question though. smiley_headscratch   How did you paint the door a day before it was built.? ???

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

brdmkr

Good looking door!  It should serve you well. 

Mike_van, I remember the first doors I made.... The were panel doors for cabinets.  I glued panels to the rails and stiles :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I don't do that anymore ;)  It was a quick lesson too.  They warped within a few hours.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Left Coast Chris

Swamp..... good looking door and floor repair for the dog house barn.  Hopefully everything is o.k. with the wife and you are not planning on spending alot of time in there?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Left Coast Chris

::) ::)Well............ you should watch out then....fixing the place up like that could attract some of the fairer sex and change that situation  :-*    :) :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

Yep, best not to slather honey around before the bears go into hibernation  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Sorry, I meant Bares....... ;) :) ;D.  Honey and hibernation can really get you in trouble ::).

SwampDonkey

Well, it's been almost 2 years now. Today I replaced a couple doors on my barn, on the north end, and a sliding door on my grainery on the south side. Similar to the barn door I constructed in 2007.

On the old barn doors, I read where the carpenter left his name and when the doors were made. It was July 1952.

I could only get white pine tung and groove. I am going to replace the wood on the catch of the grainery door. And I have a piece of treated wood to replace the backing of the door track on the barn from 2007.

SwampDonkey

Replaced the door catches yesterday on the barn and grainery doors.

beenthere

Good to get that project done.

I'm curious, but why the 'tin' on the lower edge?  Seems it would trap moisture and lead to faster decay of the lower ends of the boards. 

Prolly a reason that counteracts that problem.   Critters?  snow/ice ?  ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yes, good to be done, except for the paint. Been too cool for that. The aluminum flashing is to keep the ground hogs and squirrels from chewing the door. The flashing does not cover the bottom edge of the door, so the rain can't get trapped there.

Don K

Good looking doors. I need to build one for my tiller shed at the garden.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!