iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bodacious Burl

Started by TexasTimbers, June 13, 2007, 12:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

It looks solid from outward appearances. No ingrowth to speak of, no holes or rotten areas, at least visibly. How would one attempt to control the drying rate (air drying) so it will not crack all to pieces? End seal it of course for starters. I am planning on slabbing it horizontally for tables tops - if I do it at all. It's sokme kind of oak but haven't put my finger on it yet.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dodgy Loner

Nice - it appears to be a white oak of some sort, maybe a post oak judging by the narrow furrows in the bark.  If you slab it horizontally, it'll crack for sure no matter how slowly it dries.  You'll have to treat it with something that prevents shrinkage to prevent that.  Polyethylene glycol (PEG) is probably the most common solution.  It'll cost a bundle, but if you find some enthusiastic buyers, it ought to be worth it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Daren

Quote from: kevjay on June 13, 2007, 12:51:21 PM
It's sokme kind of oak but haven't put my finger on it yet.

Prolly cause it's on the other side of the fence from you
  :D 
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

TexasTimbers

Ironwood

Generally oak burls are/ have been not so nice in MHO. Keep us posted, I would not get my hopes up. 

My expensive mistake, Good luck, Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

This is a pic of one 1/4 of a red oak burl that I acquired a couple years back.  The wood is beautiful and holds together great.  So far drying has not been a problem.  It doesn't look like a traditional burl with small swirling eyes, but rather a larger more subtle figure is present.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

Nice bowl ms. Did you turn that on my wife's lathe? ;D

Reid, please elaorate on what you did to/with the burl and how it turned out. Did you cut slabs and turning blocks etc.? Was *any* of it usable in the end?

I may not even mess with it.

Dodgy Loner

Kevjay is right, Reid.  We need more details - inquiring minds want to know ;).

I've only found one oak burl, it was water oak and had lots of bark inclusions and voids, like metalspinner's burl.  That wasn't a problem, though, because I also turned bowls out of it.  Turned out beautiful.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ironwood

Well, most quality burls are tight pin knot and good tight grain. Mediocre burls are "onion peel " layered affairs with no real pin knots just dense curled grain (not so pretty curled grain) or pin knot with rot interspersed, then there is the oak burls I have found, they have large scale pin knots, LARGE I say. They like to dish out and ring separeate when drying. Some have held together (used lot of epoxy to fill voids) but generally I would NOT pursue an oak burl again. I would use them for other things but not for most of what I do. I would not use them for anything where the beauty of the grain is desired (tabletops).

Just my HO, Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Larry

What Reid said.  In any case knock off a little bark to see what the wood looks like with an axe or drawknife before ya even pull the cord on the chainsaw.

If it looks like a high quality burl you don't want the eyes to pop...few extra precautions while drying and keep the fingers crossed.

Metalspinner, that is a beautiful bowl and a testament to your turning skills.  Wish I could even get close to turning something that pretty...when I get close chunks of wood fly off the lathe.  The wood looks like an onion skin burl.  Did you have any trouble with separation along the annual growth rings? 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

metalspinner

QuoteDid you have any trouble with separation along the annual growth rings? 

I have had no trouble with any of this burl drying. 8)  Everything was cut 3"-4" thick and as wide as could fit through the Woodmizer.  We did cut it parallel to the growth of the tree.  This burl was about three feet tall and close to six feet around on the stump.  I had to cut it into quarters to load into the truck.  I did seal all interior surfaces with Anchore Seal.  Probably not neccesary, though.

Here are some of the pieces...

Kevjay,
I would cut it if I were you.  You just never know what will be in there.  This oak burl I like because it is different than the other stuff on the market.  It is bold without being to busy.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!