iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel line replacement on a Stihl MS 310

Started by RMS, June 13, 2007, 12:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMS

I just discovered that the fuel line on my MS 310 is leaking just above the grommet where it exits the fuel tank. After looking it over for a while last night, it appears that this may not be an easy fix since access to the line is very tight.
Would anyone here be willing to provide some instructions on how to gain access and replace this line?

Also, is the line one complete run from the pickup filter to the carb or does it separate at the tank?

Thanks,

RMS.

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to remove the in tank filter then pull the line out, it will probably break. Cut the end of the new line at a sharp angle then feed it through the hole into the tank, spraying it with WD40 or something similar makes this easier. Pull the end out of the filler cap opening, square the end, install the filter, then pull the line at the carb just far enough that the filter lays in the bottom of the fuel regardless of the saws position. Cut to length at the carb and you are in business.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

RMS

Thanks sawguy21,
At first glance it looked like I'd have to do a major tear-down to get at it. Just phoned the local dealer and they have the fuel line in stock -- should be back sawing again tonight.

RMS.

RMS

Just some notes for anyone else who needs to do this for the MS 310 or similar saws:

The fuel line is a custom piece and not simply a typical straight fuel line. The line is ribbed and has an integral grommet to provide the seal on the gas tank.

The carb needs to be pulled out slightly in order to install the fuel line. This is because the saw has a molded fitting on the case that holds the fuel line in place when it is installed. Because of the molded fitting there is *absolutely* no room to manipulate the fuel line and fit it on the carb inlet tube.

After removing the air filter you will see two studs on which the air filter mounts. There are two nuts on these studs -- remove these and then you will be able to pull the carburetor out enough to fit the fuel line on and slide it up into the plastic molded fitting. There still isn't very much room to move but with a little patience and a gentle hand you will have success.

Hope this helps,

RMS.

johncinquo

Available through the Baileys catalog for $3.95 or therebouts.   Buy a few and keep on hand! 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Modat22

The line in my ms390 is going bad and I just had it replaced last spring.

Gotta be the gas.
remember man that thy are dust.

RMS

Quote from: Modat22 on June 19, 2007, 04:51:50 PM
The line in my ms390 is going bad and I just had it replaced last spring.

Gotta be the gas.

Perhaps. However, I've got a 15 yr old McCulloch that uses the same gas (different mix ratio) and I've only had to change the spark plug. I'm thinking that the problem is with the fuel line material, but who knows for sure.

RMS.

Thank You Sponsors!