iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MARKETING YOUR SAWMILL

Started by Moulder, March 26, 2003, 05:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moulder

OK GUYS, TO SAY THAT I'M NEW TO THIS IS A UNDERSTATEMENT,.I BOUGHT MY MILL TO SLAB LUMBER AS I TURN BOWLS. I FOUND THAT I LIKED SAWING LUMBER, SO LIKE A FOOL I PUT A AD IN THE PAPER SOMETHING LIKE THIS "WILL CUT YOUR LOGS IN TO LUMBER FOR FREE CALL*******" .DONT EVER EVER EVER DO THIS, I HAD ABOUT 20 CALLS IN 2 DAYS UNFORTUNATELY MOST PEOPLE WANTED ME TO CUT DOWN THE TREES. I DID COME UP WITH ABOUT 4 JOBS WHICH ACTUALLY 2 TURNED INTO PAYING JOBS. THE QUESTION I NEED ANSWERED IS HOW TO EFFECTIVELY MARKET MYSELF. THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP
RANDY

Jeff

WILL CUT YOUR LOGS IN TO LUMBER FOR FREE CALL********

I think your doing great. You certainly know how to get their attention. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Moulder

A MANS GOT DO WHAT A MANS GOT TO DO
RANDY

Minnesota_boy

I wondered why my nun=mber of calls for sawing had dropped off! :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

Moulder, :
In all seriousness  :D :D for free? :D snicker :D    
All you gotta do is let the word out that you have a sawmill and they will just about knock your door down.

Sawmilling with these little mills, I assume you have a bandmill, is a great business.  You could do it on weekends with partial payment being blanks of pretty local wood.

You need to come up with a charging scheme.  Most of us use one of these.  Logs are generally specified as being on the ground, cut to lenth and ramped.  That way you arrive ready to saw.

A setup fee + Board foot Charge + Blade damage charge + labor (provided by the customer.)  

An hourly charge + Blade damage charge + Labor

Perusing the forum, you will find that many of us have listed our charges here.

You can go to my Web Site www.tomssaw.com and see what I did to get started.

Bibbyman has a site with a lot of his info on it.https://forestryforum.com/members/bibbyman/

You can find members who have web sites by going to Members (top of page) and looking thu the alphabetical listing of members.

The knowledge base here has info on how to get started too.  Look for the button at the top of the page.

Oh,   When they call for the Free sawing job, tell them that was a special you had on last month. 8) :D :D

Bud Man

Moulder, Hope the number you listed in the ad wasn't to a .35 cents/mn. cell phone.  :o  Keep on with the efforts and much success to ya.  The Forum has a lot of suggestions and answers that will help !  Wander around, continue to ask quesions, and enjoy.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum MOULDER.  

I think if you got back and start reading all the post that Joey Lowe made a little over a year ago,  you'll see all the advice he got.  

Here is a link to his first post of many. New to the Board and to Milling, Eager to Learn!

Apparently it worked because now his story is posted on the Wood-Mizer website home page.
Joey Lowe's story on Wood-Mizer web-site

I've found it's harder to get out of work than to get work. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Mark M

Bad thing about sawing for free is you have to do so much work to make up for it in volume  ;)

ADfields

???
Were you trying to say you would haul off Thar down trees for free?   Or did you truly want to saw Thar lumber up for them for free? ??? ???  

8)Witch ever way it was welcome to the Forestry Forum!! 8)

A guy could make a living off an add like that with a buck a call 900 number in it I bet. :D :D :D   When I find an add like that I just got to call to see what the heck it's about and have found some GREAT deals over the years like that! 8) 8)   But mostly I find a guy saying "That AIN'T what I wanted to say!"
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!