iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Piggy roast

Started by maple flats, June 13, 2007, 06:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

My wife and I are going to try to make it to the Piggy roast this year. From central NY my map program takes me thru Canada and then back down, is that the best route from here? We are not sure we can get coverage for our live in clients yet but we are going to try. 8) 8) 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

moosehunter

maple flats,
My wife and I went two years ago and went thru Canada. We live near Ithaca NY. If you look at  a large map off the entire Northeast you will see that it is a fairly straight shot from here to Mich. thru Canada. Cross North of Buffalo, go through London On. and on into Michigan.
I figured we saved two hours going that way.
Try to hit the border crossings very early in the morning or late at night.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

farmerdoug

I think you would be faster coming across at Port Huron but probably more scenic going through the UP.  If you come through Port Huron take I69 to M53 to M46 to I75.  You will miss Flint and all of the traffic headaches on I75 there.  Of course the construction is everywhere in Michigan so you will get to see the orange cones too. :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

submarinesailor

maple flats,

The attached Word document is the route at MS Streets and Trips comes up with.

Bruce

Furby

Yup, cross over at Port Huron and then follow FarmerDoug's route as it will probly be fastest.
Coming straight across Canada will be the best, but you can go down and around through Ohio if you want to stay in the US.

WDH

I have a question.  Flying in from Atlanta, I plan to go to Lansing and drive up.  There is a direct flight from Atlanta to Lansing.  I assume that is an OK plan ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

That's ok, anything other then Detroit! ;)
Grand Rapids is about 2 hours from Jeff's if you'd rather go to a slightly smaller town then Lansing.
Also, I belive Tom flys in out by Saginaw or something, I'm sure he'll fill us in before long.

Tom

Saginaw is about an hour from Harrison, maybe less.  I think they have car rentals there too.

I would prefer Saginaw if it were me.  I've not found it very busy though there are few amenities.

Reddog

Lansing is fine. 1 1/2 to 2hour drive max to Jeff's. Just watch the speed zone from St Johns to Ithica on 27.

As for the thru Canada thing? I stay in the US. One hickup at customs and you will not save any time. The last couple of years it is not unheared of for two hour waits on fri-mon. Plus fuel is cheaper in the US.

DR_Buck

Looks like 3 post (or more  eh eh) on the 2007 Pig Roast.     Other Post           Other Other Post  :D :D

Don't Forget you need a passport to go through Canada now.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WDH

Tom, from Jacksonville, you will surely have to use a connecting flight.  From Atlanta, I can avoid a connecting flight and save time (I think???).  The flight times are not as flexible, though.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

I either fly to detroit and then to saginaw, or to chicago and then to Sagina.

Neither are bad.  I prefer the Detroit to Saginaw.  The saving factor is the driving distance in a rental, unless you just like to drive.  Lansing isn't really that far either.

I dont have to go through Atlanta.

beenthere

Quote from: DR_Buck on June 13, 2007, 11:05:47 PM

Don't Forget you need a passport to go through Canada now.   

I recall hearing that the Passport requirement has changed now (couple weeks ago).  Need a receipt showing that you've applied for a passport if flying back into the US, but just identification (Birth certificate, old passport, or passport application receipt) if you are driving back into the US.   Any others understand it this way?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

Dat's da newest info I got too.  ;)   I'm headed north of da border in a couple of weeks. We'll haffta see if dey let me back in.   :-\
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

submarinesailor

Here is the lastest info Customs and Border Protection has on their Q/A Web Site.

What documents/paperwork does a U.S. citizen (adult/child) need for International travel?

Question:
  What documents, identification, paperwork does a U.S. citizen need to travel internationally?

Answer:
  If you are traveling in the Western Hemisphere, (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America):

ALL persons*, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.
As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons*, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.
*Lawful permanent residents (LPRs), refugees, and asylees will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or other valid evidence of permanent residence status or refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States. LPR's may still need to present a passport for entry into a foreign destination.  For this reason airlines may deny boarding to LPR's traveling without a passport.

If traveling from outside the Western Hemisphere, all U.S. citizens MUST present a passport, including children.

Travel by Land - If a U.S. citizen does not have a passport or a certified copy of a birth certificate, the following may be accepted as proof of citizenship: - A U.S. state or federal government-issued birth record (note: hospital-issued birth certificates are not acceptable) or baptismal record. If a U.S. citizen child was recently born, and no copy of the birth certificate is available, bring whatever paperwork the hospital has given you as a record of the birth. If you do not have a certified copy of your birth certificate, one can be requested from the Vital Records office in the State where you were born.

Laminated Birth Certificates are not useful for purposes of establishing citizenship because it is impossible to determine they are certified. A Certificate of Citizenship, or Certificate of Naturalization are also excepted [note: notarized photocopies or notarized fax copies of such certificates are acceptable, but affidavits of citizenship and voter registrations are not).

Neither of the above will be acceptable unless accompanied by a government issued photo ID.

For information about what documents are required for a U.S. resident to enter a foreign country, we advise you to contact the embassy or consulate general of the country you intend to travel to in order to find out what documents they require you to have for entry. It is important to understand that some Western Hemisphere countries require you to have a passport for entry into their country, even though the U.S. does not require you to have one to re-enter the U.S.

maple flats

On the news in the last week or 2 I also heard the passport requirement had been temporarily suspended because of the long waiting periods that have been encountered lately. I see the customs website has no note of this, they last updated in Feb, 07. Anyone have solid documentation of this?
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Furby

Read one post up, the section on "traveling by land". ;)

DanG

Have an alternate route on US soil, Dave.  From what I heard, the passport requirement has been lifted, kinda sorta.  You have to establish that you have applied for a passport, and the confirmation paperwork takes almost as long as the passport.  The way things are right now, I wouldn't set foot outside the country for a date with Paris Hilton!  I have seen how badly things can get screwed up, with the morons and idiots they put in charge of things. :o :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Since the 9/11 incident, the Goobers closed down MOST Passport Offices. Ed applied to have his renewed, and they sent word, not to expect it before Sept.  :o >:( >:( >:(

Good thing these Terrorists have the USA right where they want them  ::) ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Don K

Cogitating on me and my wife driving up for the roast. How far away is Clare and those of you that have had accomadations there, got any suggestions good or bad on the best place to stay

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Furby

Clare is about 15 minutes South, give or take a little. :)

WDH

According to Yahoo Maps, it is just shy of 1000 miles.  About 15 hours driving time straight through.  I plan to go and stay in Clare, too. 

DanG

We stayed at the Acorn Motel in Harrison last year.  It's a nice little old fashioned "Mom & Pop" place, except Pop ain't there no more.  Mom is a real nice lady, though, and we enjoyed staying there.  I'm gonna ask for anything but room 6 this year, though.  Room 6 has this little bitty pot in the bathroom.  That's the littlest, bittyest pot I ever seen.  It was like something that belonged in a nursery school.  That was a little bitty pot.  DonT stay in room 6 unless you're short.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don K

Yup! I done mapquested it and I've decided that it ain't but another hour longerthan the drive to Virginny tomorrow. If I can sequester the funds Me and Jenny ;) (DanG) will see ya'll there.   Don K

Dan, how much was the Acorn Motel.  Danny have you made res. in Clare yet?
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DanG

I don't really know, Don.  I won the accomodations in a little contest we had here.  It was originally for one room at a B&B, but that place went out of business, so we converted it to two rooms at the Acorn.  It is really convenient to Jeff's house.  As he put it last year, "It's only 5 minutes by riding mower." :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!