iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood identification

Started by bedway, June 12, 2007, 08:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

My brother showed up over the weekend, he lives in ohio, but likes to come to the country for the weekends. He brought a piece of wood he wanted to carve into an owls head. He says he grabbed the wood from the edge of the grand canyon when he was out there last month. It sure smells like cedar but it is very hard, and has beautiful grain.,,what do ya think,,,bedway

SwampDonkey

Wish I were there to take a sharp image of a fresh cur end grain.  ;D Do you have a scanner? Try the techniques discussed in the 'ID wood by the end grain' thread. See what you can accomplish.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Well if he got it from within the National Park, he's a federal fugitive.
If he got it off the indian reservation, it's almost as bad.
Might wanna lose that part of the post. ;)

This link is for a list of trees from that area:
Link

Dodgy Loner

SD is right, I'm afraid those pictures are too blurry to tell anything.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's a species of juniper, though.  Our eastern redcedar is a juniper, and other species of juniper will smell similar.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

LeeB

My money is on mountain juniper.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!