iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling lumber overseas

Started by tlooney, June 11, 2007, 11:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlooney

Has anyone had any experience with this? I was contacted through email from a buyer in Egypt who got my contact info from the Oregon Forest Directory. (Don't ask me how he found it all the way in Egypt).  Well I just deleted the email thinking it not worth the effort and then the guy up and calls me at home wanting more info.

So I just wanted to know if it is worth the effort to ship overseas or not and if anyone on here has done so in the past.

Thanks tlooney
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Ron Wenrich

I've never sold lumber overseas, but did have a short seminar on it many years ago.  You will need brokers, especially when it comes to money.  Overseas buyers are notorious for not paying for material.  I would want payment up front.  So, don't try this without a net.   ;)

My question to a deal like this is what type of wood can you provide that can't be provided to him from Europe or Russia?  What kind of volumes are you talking about?

It can be worth it, if you are dealing with a reputable company.  We sell logs to Germany and Italy.  Their buyers come here and pay us in US funds.  Then, we deliver to the docks and they take care of it.

We have sold some logs to China.  I know of one guy that has also sold to China, and said he didn't get burnt too bad.  Just for one load - his last load.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

We have exported to Scandinavia and China and an offshore island.  I have dealt with a broker for Scandinavia and although pay could be a little slow at times, I got all my money.  For offshore islands, I have personally met the buyer and have a friend who visits there regularly and have always been paid in full.  For China, I have sent through their local buyer and been paid up front.

We have had to stuff the containers with the lumber.  For cedar we used to not have to get a phyto certificate.  Now there are a few hoops to jump through to get the right paperwork done.

I have used my broker for years and trust him to look out for me.  His reputation is good as far as I know.

Find out what it takes and price accordingly.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

tlooney

An update on this, I found out this guy wants 400mbf of lumber per month :o, I emailed him to let him know that I am a one man operation and the most I can give him is 1mbf per month. No reply to that message so I think it is over.
Lucasmill 827

TexasTimbers

Those Egyptians think every American sawmiller owns their own forest and that wood grows on trees.

Hey you don't have to be able to cut it all, you can post in the Wanted section "Wanted: 399mbf  lumber. Confidential drop shipping requested."

You may have just missed your opportunity to become a bigtime international lumber broker. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

tlooney

DanG I never thought of that kevjay, just my luck day late and a dollar short.
Lucasmill 827

mometal77

My parents had this guy call them about knotty maple on there property.  He went into the county court and got the info on everyone down there valley with property and started calling them up.  He cuts down the trees without clean up was the clause but he said a good tree to build musical instruments goes from 6-12k. 
Not over seas selling but i wonder how much that fella in egypt was it?  The mark up on wood would have been?  I heard the same with bamboo from another guy i talk with online had the same happen to him. 
Maybe i can sell asteroid insurance to people on the net next?
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!