iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making money?

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 11, 2007, 04:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

I'm trying to figure out what this guy's been thinking.  It seems he has a bandmill and he needs to make some trailer flooring for an order.  So, he calls us up and orders 4 13"x14½"x10'.  He figures he can resaw the boards for the order. 

For us to make them, we need to have about a minimum of a 20" log.  Price is $1.25/bf.  We need a fairly decent log, and figure some grade must be sacrificed to make the pieces.  We do get a much better overrun than cutting into boards.

He could have ordered the trailer floor for $1/bf and not had to saw it.  We would have used smaller logs, and there would not be as much grade left on the flooring.

So, how's he making any money with his mill?   ???
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

Sounds like he's a student of some of that new-fangled modern math they've been teaching.   :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Brad_S.

His customer is probably more clueless than he is and is going to pay $2 a boardfoot for the lumber. The sawyer is probably smiling because all he had to do was slice up a cant and make $.75 a boardfoot for it.  ::)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Bibbyman

Quote from: Brad_S. on June 11, 2007, 06:45:30 PM
His customer is probably more clueless than he is and is going to pay $2 a boardfoot for the lumber. The sawyer is probably smiling because all he had to do was slice up a cant and make $.75 a boardfoot for it.  ::)

But.. he could have done nothing but be the middle man and made a $1/bf. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

I got 2x6" spruce today planed, kilned and graded for 0.70 a bf.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brad_S.

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 11, 2007, 06:59:46 PM

Good point, but where's the fun in that? :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

brdmkr

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 11, 2007, 06:59:46 PM

He may have told the customer the HE was going to saw it.  It's kinda like the fellow that asked the butcher to toss him so fish, so he could tell his wife he caught them :D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

beenthere

Good points.

I'm thinkin the guy just wants to use his saw to make his own planks.  Hasn't even thought about the $$'s.   ::) :)  (and Bibbyman has my similar thought)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Keep an eye on that guy, Ron.  It sounds to me like there will be a very slightly used bandsaw mill on the market, soon. ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!