iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my newest project

Started by fuzzybear, June 11, 2007, 12:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

Well it's that time of year!!!   CABIN BUILDING TIME!!!
   This is the start of a 30'x40' cabin. It is being made from spruce logs. These logs are all fire killed. They have been standing in the burn fields for the last 3 years so they are very dry.

The front post is 26"x20" with the side walls at a 15deg

When the shell is finished it will be taken apart and hauled to the river where we will chain it all together and make a barge out of it.  Then it will be floated 150 miles to Eagle, Alaska, where we will reassemble it.

I'll add more photos as it progresses.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

WDH

Looks like one DanG challenging project :o.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Qweaver

What a neat plan! I'll follow this tread with great interest.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Mr Mom

If you float the dead trees in water wount they soak up water and warp and twist??

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

SwampDonkey

This is better than TV.   8) They have no spruce up in Alaska? Or your only allowed to look at them standing? ;)  ;D

That's a big camp fuzzy. I don't think the spruce will warp with the wet trip. Now if it were larch, that could be different. Grandfather built several camps during his years as a guide outfitter. Many are still standing, but the original camp is long gone, it was built in the 20's on the Monquart Stream.

How's the flies up there now? That's important.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fuzzybear

All the logs will be sealed in linseed oil before they are put in the water. It will only be a one day trip down river. We've done this before and never had a problem. Of course the logs will be pulled and stacked for another year until it is assembled. 
   If it were southern spruce I would be worried about twisting. Northern spruce has a very short growing season so the rings are very tight.  The main post is roughly 145 years old, it's hard to count the rings sometimes they are so tight.
   We work from 6pm till about 5am. The mosquitos are the worst rite now. They are the size of a B-52. Black flies are starting to come out. 
   But our biggest fears are with fires. We have a 250g tank and a 2" pump, the creek is about 300' away. We had the ridge to the northeast catch fire last week from lightning strikes. Luckly ConAir had the water bomber on it within an hour and it only burned about 4 acres.   
   This cabin has a very special story behind it.  The gentlman we are building it for is dying. He is building it for his wife. She is an amazing woman.  She runs every type of equipment, flies a bush plane, welds, and is a prospector.  She's done this all over the world for the last 40 years.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Coon

Sounds like she is just like most of us here on the forum---- Jacks of all trades.  Master of none. :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!