iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to make this hexagon BBQ table.

Started by SwampDonkey, June 10, 2007, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here are the plans

http://www.buildeazy.com/hexagonal_picnic_table.html

Will post progress pics. Hopefully have something in the next couple weeks.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Well I went all out, gung-ho today. I took some stuff out of the RAV4 and turned down the seats and made me a 'truck' on an SUV.  :D

I got 3 sheets of plywood, halved. 14- 2x6"- 8', 12 - 2 x 4" - 8', 1 - 2x4"-9', 1- 2x4"-8' pressure treated, 17 - 5"x3/4" - 8' tung grove spruce, 5 -3/4"x6" - 8' spruce boards. 12' - 9" wide steel sheathing, 3'x12" black roofing, 17 - lag bolts and washers (4-1/2" and 3"), 3-lbs galv 3" nails, tube of Black caulking, 2 brushes, 1 litre black matte paint, 24"x12" fibre glass door screening.

All I need now is the 16' - 4 x 4" pressure treated post for the bat house, one of the other projects. Using Stew's plans he linked to in the bat house thread. Looks easy. All I need is a couple bags of cement. I'm erecting it next to the back beaver pond.

Anyway, I got all the stuff for the picnic table, the barn door and the bat house. Got here all loaded into the SUV and came home. Everything was under $300 with the taxes.

I got all the pieces of the table cut out today. Tomorrow afternoon I will assemble the table and paint it on the weekend. Didn't post the cut out pieces because they look much the same as in the plans. I was stumped a short while until I went and found the protractor to cut the ends on some of the braces. I made a jig, so to speak, to mark the pieces. I had to cut one angle on the band saw because it was 60 °, where the table saw can only cut to 45 °.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

Would it be easier to paint first, then assemble?

It sounds like you have as many projects going on as I do. :D  I just got the windows in the house replaced, so now I need to trim them out.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: metalspinner on June 11, 2007, 04:18:10 PM
Would it be easier to paint first, then assemble?

Probably. I never did anything the easy way in my life. Why set a precedent now.  :D :D ::)

I may paint it first. But, I think if I turn it upside down first and paint it's underside , then set it upright to paint the rest I'll be fine. ;)

cheers

SwampDonkey

Progress: The top and bottom framework of the table are strapped with steal.

Top (foreground) and seats assembled.

I don't know guys. I haven't been able to crawl around on my knees for at least 15 years. So that means I have to stand on my head or sit down to nail this.  So don't expect to pay me by the hour. I gotta sit or stand for awhile so my blood can come back down to my feet. ;D :D :D  Kinda dizzy after awhile of this. smiley_mad_crazy

SwampDonkey

Well I started drilling holes for my lag bolts and discovered they are 1" too long.  ::) So, in my discuss, I went and mowed the lawn.

My knees are good and sore now.   hurt_smiley

Kevin_H.

We make a table real close to that, six sided and all, but we use 5/4 decking for the top and 2 x 4's for the seats, we have it all set up on jigs and can cut and assemble 3 a day. they sell about as fast as we can make them.

We assemble the frame and then put on the rings, keeps ya off the ground, you can also use corragated fasteners to pre-assemble the rings then lay them on the frame and screw them on.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

WDH

You got a lot done today, SD ;).  That will be a fine table.  Too bad those yankees to the south of you didn't provide some redwood for the project :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

I think I would call it an outdoor table. That way you could use it any time. Not just fpr BBQ. :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Well, I have her together.  8)

Used spacers during assembly for the proper height between top and seats.

Upside right and ready for some stain. Even sitting in a nice shady spot.  :)

It's easy to make if you want a picnic table. Seems like a lot more room than an ordinary table. Sure seats more. Bring on the steaks and chicken.  ;)

WDH

Great looking table and great looking spot for.  I can imagine eating some of those ribs that are so well described in the "Ribs Thread".  You could take on the task of being the "Forum Rib Recipe Testor"  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, they sure would be good alright. Too bad the cooks are so far away. Well as you say, I'll have to muster up something.  ;D 8)

DWM II

Thats a sure nice table Mr. Donk. I'm needin to build a table for the hunting camp and thats a prime example for one. Also that web site sure is a gem, they got all kinda plans I need.  8)
Stewardship Counts!

WDH

Donnie,

From the pic for your Avatar, looks like you have plenty of lumber to build it with 8).

DWM II

All that went into my barn, but I do have some erc I been sittin on just for the occasion. ;)
Stewardship Counts!

SwampDonkey

Won't take ya long to build one. Probably take a day to build one for the first time. Takes a lot of time cutting the diagonals and making sure they slant the right direction. Some slant parallel (legs) and some slant opposite (seat and top). Nice to have help when your strapping and flipping over the top and seat frames.

Mooseherder

Nice Table and shady spot Donk! :)
Looks like a great place to sit for a long time. ;)

Sprucegum

That's real nice  8)

I bookmarked it 'cause my wife's been asking for one - but I'm not showing it to her til after I got my mill running  ;D

WDH

I really like that table, Donk.  I am going to build one too.

Dodgy Loner

That's a nice table, SD.  Just looking at it makes me hungry for some outdoor cookin' and some good sweet tea.  Maybe when WDH finishes his, he will invite me down for some BBQ ;D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

If we can get Don K to come over and prepare those baby back ribs he talked about in the Baby Back Pork Rib Recipe Thread.

SwampDonkey

Well here it is with a green transparent stain. Just about to add the last/second coat.

DWM II

That thing looks better everytime you post. Who makes the green stain you used? that makes it for me. 8)
Stewardship Counts!

SwampDonkey

DWM II

Stewardship Counts!

Norm

Looks great SD, maybe put one by the road with a price tag on it. Bet they'd sell like hotcakes.

Haytrader

My compliments as well on a job well done.
Seems like anything made with ones own hands is appreciated more.

I think we kinda ignored Kevin_H when he stated they make three tables a day and they sell as fast. I would like to know more about this as I think the "value added" part of sawmilling is an integral part. When I hear of a sawmiller haveing trouble makeing it, I wonder if they have tried the "value added" side of it.
I know we have made a few things and not only do we enjoy the fruits of our labor, we actually have saved a fair amount on furnishings, not to mention Christmas gifts we made instead of buying.

Again, congrats Mr. Donk. Your carpentry skills are only surpassed by one thing, your photography skills.
;)
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

Kevin kind of got left behind unfortunately, but I know it could be done, to make 3 a day that is. Just need an extra table saw maybe and 3 fellas. Or one guy cutting and 2 building, starting with the pinwheel framework. Also, a good place/platform to work off. Like the setup he mentioned. Once you build a couple, it's nothing at all. The staining will take a full day to wait 4 hours between coats. The back of my legs still ache, like I've been touching toes for 3 hours.  :D :D

Norm, I think they would sell in some locations, just not here. But, you wouldn't make any money.  :D :D I saw a regular picnic table, unfinished, at the hardware store for $79, just two long seats. I have $165 in materials into mine when finished. A fellow would have to have at least $350 a table for this design. It don't matter if 3 guys build 3 or you build one a day, it costs the same with labor hours factored in and a slight profit. What I'd be hearing all day is I can get mine for $79, not even the same table.  ::) The thing is not all that easy to load onto a pickup, almost need a trailer. In fact I highly recommend one. And I don't deliver.  :D

I'd rather be cutting brush where my daily efforts will be rewarded, and no whining to deal with.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!