iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For those who may miss Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Started by Mooseherder, June 07, 2007, 11:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

This Musician named Corey Stevens has to be his son. :) Also has moments where he sounds like Clapton/Stevie Ray at the same time. ;)
Album is called Blue Drops of Rain.
My favorites are:
It's Over
I'll Play The Blues
The Brothers

8) 8) 8)

Dan_Shade

I remember where I was when I heard that he had been killed in a helicopter accident.  I sometimes wonder if God likes to call the great guitarists home early.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Burlkraft

I do miss him, I was at Alpine Valley the night he crashed..................

It was a great show, too bad it was his last..... :'( :'( :'(
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

Stevie Ray Vaugn was one of my favorites. I still like playing his music at work, it picks up the mood a bit.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

DWM II

Everytime I think of him I hear the opening notes of his version of Little Wing.  :'( I miss him.
Stewardship Counts!

Daren

There are a bunch of SRV videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDBIbJKjAZQ . I play air guitar to them all the time  ::).  Patty said it was a pick up, for me when he comes on the radio (if I am not listening to one of his cds) it is more of a put down...I put down the tools and dance around bending imaginary strings like a fool.

Here is an odd video I found of Stevie and Jimmie (his older brother who taught him to play...he learned well, Jimmie is not shabby---Stevie took it to another level) playing a double neck together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQdBhyv7xqQ

WARNING
I have been accused of being a "thread killer" before on this forum when it comes to music and my choices there of...So if you are close minded please read no further.
Here is one more video of an ambidextrous guitar virtuoso, playing a double guitar. Michael Angelo Batio (there is some cool Allman Brothers/Hendrix/Deep Purple/Randy Rhoads...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rutyA12z3Ok . If you don't like it...I warned you.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

LeeB

If you like Stevie's style, you might also like Johnny Lang. I went to see Stevie several times and it was always a fantastic show.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DWM II

Thanks for the links Darren, I really like the one with Jimmy. MAB aint my style but I sure can appreciate his talent. He had it sounding like a keyboard to me.
Stewardship Counts!

Daren

Quote from: DWM II on June 08, 2007, 10:34:56 PM
MAB aint my style but I sure can appreciate his talent. He had it sounding like a keyboard to me.

Not necessarily mine either, not very much soul. The keyboard thing is right on, the majority of the stuff he (and those like him) play is called neoclassical...meaning they just ripped off classical piano concertos and play them on guitar. That is easy enough, but MAB is freakishly talented.     

Patty

8) 8) 8)   Holy Cow!  Can you say: TURN IT UP!    8) 8) 8)   Man that boy can play! I wake up all bleary eyed, first cup of coffee in my hand, and click on the MAB thread. Whoo Hooo! I am awake now!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

TexasTimbers

Stevie was a awesome. We have our own local Stevie incarnate. This kid is turning everyhead in the music buisiness. The older black jazz masters are especially passin him around the circuit. The band I drum for will be opening for him in our local Fall Rockfest, although he is jazz only the kid can play anything. I never would have thunk I would be opening for a 16 year old kiddo. ::)

A true prodigy, you will all most likely be hearing the name   Tyler Bryant from Honey Grove, Texas.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

Tom and I watch a lot of Guitar videos on YouTube and send links back and forth. Anyone that does that has seen this young man. Its one of the most popular videos on YouTube and for good reason.  Pretty amazing performance for sitting on the side of your bed. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Daren

Jeff, that kid is good. I checked out some more of his videos...neoclassical like I was talking about, he must like Vivaldi  ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxplDa3M5Io&mode=related&search=

This guy is surely his inspiration, Yngwie Malmsteen. Here is a Malmsteen acoustic piece for the fast fingers crowd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDblDia5TE&mode=related&search=.

TexasTimbers

The trouble with alot of these kids with flying fingers is that it is a double-edged sword. It's hard not to use it too much at the risk of being musical. There are tens of thousands of players you will never hear about because - to use an old music industry phrase about guitarists who have speed to spare . . . "they are breaking records but not making records."

There are many examples of guys with wicked speed, innovation, and the ability to make it sound musical. Some of my favs are SRV, Dave Matthews (an acoustic master)Eddie VanHalen, Chet Atkins, John Petrucci, Carlos Santana, Robin Trower, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and 900 others.

Some guys who aren't considered the worlds greatest technizal wizards but whose innovation and musicianship got them far ahead of some of the speed freaks we've never heard of are Mark Knopfler, Ritchie Blackmore (wrote some of the smartest rock riffs ever), Kim Thayel (can't stand his playing though.). In fact there are a few of these guys I mention that I don't listen to their music much but ya know genius when ya hear it.

Haven't listened to any of the youtube stuff y'all posted yet hope to tonight.

Daren

Oh, I agree Kevin I am not a huge flying fingers fan, just posting examples. In small doses it is something I like, just like all the other styles. For me I would rather hear Page play with the bowstring or Robin Trower's pedal work like you mentioned. Or Duane Allman's slide the list could go on, Frank Zappa's odd style...I just brought up the double guitar playing by MAB, a know "shredder" because he is a little different than your run of the mill I think his head is screwed on different. Having said that, I have never bought any of his CD's, so I guess that makes your point about breaking records and not selling any ? But you will have to listen to the links before you can say just because you are playing fast you are not being musical, just playing fast for the sake of speed. Speed does not make you a better musician...but the 2 are not mutually exclusive necessarily, you can be good and fast. (or bad and fast, or bad and slow... ::))

TexasTimbers

Oh yah, I am not saying you can't be musical and fast at the same time. Bill Bruford (drummer) and Buddy Rich (THE drummer) and as I said, Eddie VanHalen (world's all time best rock guitarist IMO) all prove that.

thurlow

Jy'all ever hear of a gentleman named Duane Eddy?
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Brucer

And of course, there's Stevie Ray's Canadian protege, Colin Munn. Except when they were touring together, Stevie Ray figured over a PA it would sound like Colin Mud , so he asked Colin what his middle name was, and gave him a new stage name.

Check out early Colin James sometime.

thurlow, I was in awe of Duane Eddy when I first heard him.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!