iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walking stick

Started by Patty, June 07, 2007, 02:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

I am considering making a cane for my dad for Father's Day. I want to turn it on my lathe. Do any of you have experience crafting these? Is one handle type preferable over another? I like the boxelder that Kevjay sent to me, but if this wood is not appropriate, please make suggestions of better wood stock. I have several available to me.

Any and all input is appreciated.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

beenthere

To take advantage of the strength of straight grain, I'd start with splitting the wood turning blank first, trusting that it can be carefully split and is free of localized steep grain, such as around or near knots.
A cane for looks vs a cane that may be depended on for some strength at some point in time are some considerations. The boxelder may be the better for the looks.
Sounds like a great turning project.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Patty

The cane would be used for strength. Walking is very painful for him. I had hoped a cane might help.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

woodbeard

Sorry to hear of your dad's condition.  :'(
Boxelder is real pretty, but rather weak. I would not trust it for this application.
Beenthere is right on with the suggestion for keeping the grain runout to a minimum.
That will help alot.

Patty

Thanks Woodbeard.

So white oak it is. Now, about the handle. If I cut the curve, I will lose strength, bending would be better, right? (Gosh, no trouble there! ) I am not only a rookie, I am a lazy rookie!  :D :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Dan_Shade

will splitting a stave to turn the cane from, steam it, and bend it into a form work?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dodgy Loner

Let me make sure I understand: the cane will be about 3', straight, and turned on a lathe, and the handle will be about 5" long, curved, and carved, right?  (My dimensions may be a little off, but you get the idea)  If so, then don't worry about cutting out the curved handle.  Bending it would be a tough task with a piece so small, and it will still be plenty strong - especially if you're also planning to make it out of white oak.  Good luck!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

White ash would be good to, can't get any straighter grain than that. I'm thinking hickory or maple would be just as good for a cane. White oak would certainly work, I wouldn't use red though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

I have lots of spalted maple...hmmm...that would make an awesome looking cane. Is the maple still strong enough with the spalt?

What if I did the handle separately and joined it to the cane with a brass joint. I found one in woodturners catalog

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-7095
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Dodgy Loner

That brass coupler would be purty.  Maple would be a good choice, but I would steer clear of spalted maple.  It's not nearly as strong as the regular stuff.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

metalspinner

Patty,
Another option to bending the handle is to use a wedged mortise and tenon joint.  Turn the stick to shape with a tenon on the top end of it.  Drill a hole through the handle stock the diameter of the tenon.  Saw a kerf into the end of the tenon, then assemble the joint with a wedge in the kerf.  A contrasting wedge would look really nice.  A naturally shaped stick and handle would be really cool , too.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Patty

Thanks for the input guys. I modified my previous post just to spare you all the painful details of dad's health issues.
I need this to be relatively lightweight, since he has become weak, yet strong enough to hold him if needed.

I like the way you think, Mr Spinner!  I think that would look really nice. If it turns out as well as I hope, then pics will follow.  :D 
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Patty

Got the cane mostly done this afternoonas far as getting it turned down to dimensions. (slow day at the office! :D)  I just need to fine tune it a bit and then turn the tenon small enough to fit into the handle. The handle is pretty much ready to be drilled for the tenon...just a little more fine tuning needed there too.  ;)

I think dad will like it. Hopefully he will use it for taking walks. I am moving them into town at the end of this month (closer to the hospital) where he will have sidewalks to walk on. They are out in the country now and walking is harder when you are on rough ground.

Thanks for the input guys. I sure do appreciate it.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

WDH

Be sure and post us a pic :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

turningfool

if you have any sasafrass around ,you cut one off of the appropriate size and shape and skin the bark off from it and let it dry then polyurethane coat it,the gnarly growth of it makes for very natural beautiful canes,if you need one with a handle of sorts its just a matter of the"hunt" for the right tree..which is half the fun of it anyway 8) i have done a few and will try to post some pics....note: to get the true beauty of the wood down under the bark cut it in the winter time after the sap drops

Don_Papenburg

Patty ,  Don't make the tennon too small .  If it is just a little smaller than the handle that will give enough strength  to keep it from breaking.  the brass connection would be a good place to store a small vial of the "recipe"  .   (Baldwin Sisters)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

wesdor

I see that you have the walking stick underway (or perhaps completed now).  What got my attention was the need to have it strong enough.  White Oak is strong and will look nice.  However, should you want something stronger - at least harder - I have several Osage Orange sticks that might work well for you.

You probably would not be able to turn the Osage itself, but could easily fashion a handle that would attach. 

As we have cleaned Osage out of the timber, I've been cutting any branches that looked like good canes and putting them in a pile.  I didn't coat the ends with sealer, but have quite a few that might make some good canes.  If you are interested in any of them, let me know.  Giving a cane blank to a forestry forum member would be an honor for me.  All I would ask is that you post a photo of the finished product. 

I do realize you have one nearly finished, but should you want to make another, let me know.

metalspinner

QuoteI do realize you have one nearly finished, but should you want to make another, let me know

Canes can be fashion accessories.  He should have one for each day of the week. ;D

Come on, Patty.  Get busy on the other six. :D

Patty

:)  You guys are the greatest!     Wesdor I would love to have a  cane blank from your collection. If you send two, I will make you your own cane!

The one I have almost done is from hard maple. I sanded it down yesterday until it was smooth as a baby's butt.  ;D  The handle is from cherry and we got the hole drilled through for the tenon. Now today I hope to put a finish on them before assembling them. With the stick part maple and the handle cherry, I figured the wedge should be maple as well. I am not real happy with the shape of the handle yet, I may do a little more sculpting with the sander if I have time.

One problem I encountered that I can't figure out how to deal with is when I have the 36" stick on the lathe and am turning near the center, the stick gets to vibrating to the point where I am gouging the wood with my gouge  ::) when trying to shape it. Have any of you experienced this, and if so, how did you remedy the problem?

Don, I made the tenon 1/2" to fit into a ~1" handle. Why 1/2" you ask? Well that was the size of my drill bit.  ::)  Will 1/2" be strong enough do you think? 

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

pigman

Patty, you need a "steady rest" to help support the long narrow turning. I don't have one so I just gently let one hand rub on the back side of the turning to dampen the vibration.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

metalspinner

The steady rest is a wonderful tool.  I purchased the Oneway steady rest for the rocking chair project.  It is very easy to adjust.  Make sure to order the correct mounting bolt for your lathe.

Pigman's idea works, too.  Your tools need to be very sharp so you can use as little pressure as possible.

Patty

I don't have the skill yet to hold the tool with one hand and the post with the other. But I will give it a shot today as an experiment. I have been holding the tool with two hands, one down on the handle and one up by the rest. Am I not supposed to hold it that way?  ???

I did notice that a light touch with the knife helped alot. A steady rest may be what I will get myself for my birthday. Heck, I have money I haven't even spent yet!!  :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

pigman

Patty, when using your hand as a steady rest, put your fingers over the spindle and use your thumb to hold the cutting tool on the tool rest. Practice on a scrap piece, it is not as hard as it sounds. Of course, I am not very good at the technique, but others say it is easy. ;) ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Patty

Thanks Bob, I will give it a try.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

metalspinner

Of course, all of that is done after the piece has been turned round. :o ;)

Thank You Sponsors!