iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What have I done now?

Started by Gary_C, June 06, 2007, 12:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Monday afternoon a technician from my local cell service provider came out and set up my new broadband internet service. I have an antenna on the roof that recieves a signal from the nearest cell tower and feeds a modem and then my wireless router. The service area maps have always shown that I was beyond the maximum range of their coverage, but when they actually came out and tested it, I have a very strong signal.

I have suffered for years with a slow dialup service from my local telephone company but the service had become impossible to use as I had frequent drops and pathetically slow speeds. Finally the local telephone company admitted they could not provide better service at this time as I was 35,000 feet from their switch gear and they could only reach about 15-20,000 feet with high speed internet service. Plus they believe that the time is rapidly approaching that dialup just will not work anymore. Apparently many high graphics sites already will dump slow users because we have been slowing their servers down. That may account for some of the drops and I am sure that I have been "abandoned along the internet high-way" at times because I could not keep up with the traffic.

So now I expected to be flitting around at high speeds on the Forestry Forum and I have, at times.  :)  But most of the time, I cannot find the server.  ???  Plus when my new high speed connection could not find the server, my old dial up service could find the Forestry Forum server.  ??? Then my laptop could find the server while the desktop could not.  ??? I have never seen such strange things happening. Then tech support had me plugging a non reversed cable or some such thing directly from the modem to the desktop to see if the router was at fault and that patch would not work at all.  :)

So I must have broke something! Or maybe having a HP desktop on Windows 2000, a Dell laptop on Windows XP, and my grandaughter's new Toshiba Laptop on Vista all being fed from a wireless router just ain't gona work.  ::)

Now while I was typing this my router lost the forum again so I disabled it and dialed up again and there you were all the time.  ???

This is real technical progress. I now have high speed wireless except to the Forestry Forum.   >:(

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dave Shepard

It could be worse, I have to send my posts to MI via carrier pigeon (those aren't the mean ones) I have "High Speed" now that I don't have to thaw out the pigeons this time of year.

Dave

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

If your connection is coming and going it would indicate a hardware fault to me. The software and configuration is probably correct.
Where is the question, hard to tell without being able to look at some screens when the service is actually out  :(

Having the muliple PCs with different operating systems wont be the problem. The router will talk to whatever devices are connected to it, it doesn't care about windows versions. Windows, Mac, Linux, Internet enabled toaster... doesn't matter.

Looking at the routers diagnostic page when you loose signal may tell you something. If you can't call it up, then the router is the fault. If you can see that page and it indicates a problem further down the line thats a clue as well. I guess thats what the Tech guy was trying to work out, but when you connect the modem direct to the PC you still need to set up a PPP connection though it and enter your username/password to sign in.

Welcome to my world  ::) I have to sort out these gremlins every day  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

After two days of frustration, I (truth be told my grandaughter) may have found the problem. We got into the router software and disabled the firewall. Now her laptop with Vista OS is working on wireless and my desktop can find forestry forum.  8)

Just proves for this oldtimer, when you have computer problems, have some one younger than you fix the problem!   :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!