iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honey Locust for corner posts?

Started by weimedog, June 04, 2007, 07:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

I have about a mile hedgerow full of what the farmer I bought the place calls "Honey Locust"

Some are all twisted and some straight. I see its supposed to be resistant to rot in the ground from a few encyclopedia sites..but not quite as good as black locust.

Can I use Honey Locust for fence posts?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

wesdor

You sure that isn't Osage Orange - aka Hedge?  Your description of all twisted doesn't sound like Honey Locust to me.

weimedog

No, its honey locus, thorns, "beans" and all. The "hedge row" is a term for a growth of trees separating pastures..and this one is on top of a hill with very little else between MY hedge row and the great lakes therefor lots and lots of wind. Tends to make trees grow funny.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

TexasTimbers

Honey Locust makes much better lumber for kevjay than it does as fenceposts. ;D

I will defer to those with more experince with it but my impression is that, although it is used for fenceposts, it is not as rot resistant as Black Locust, and not even in the same league as Osage. But then, nothing is at least to my knowledge.

If you can get Osage or Black Locust you ought to go with that. Honey Locust is beautiful lumber though a little tricky to dry it is not as bad as others i.e. Sweetgum, Sycamore, etc.

Honey Locust
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dodgy Loner

You could certainly find a lot worse timbers than honeylocust to use for fence posts.  You'll get a lot more life out of them if the bark and sapwood are removed.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

treebucker

Black locust also has thorns and it normally has crooked trunks. Honey locust has a wide range of thorn sizes ranging from none to thorns large enough to literally flatten tractor tires. The thorns will alternate on the twigs and can appear on the trunk. Black locust will only have thorns on the twigs and small branches. They will appear in pairs in a distinctive "V" pattern at the base of leaf stalks and scars.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Thank You Sponsors!