The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Please educate me on bandmill blades.  (Read 4739 times)

Offline flht01

Re: Please educate me on bandmill blades.
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 04:46:29 pm »
Brad,
I really don't have enough time using the monk's to know just how many bf I'll be getting. I like the way they saw and I've had good results with them after resharpening. I'm on my third resharpen with the two I've used, it'll be interesting to see if I experience breaking them too. One thing I've noticed (using the cat claw setter) is the lack of set in the new monks. I'm going to get a new one out of the box and check it to be sure, but (if  remember right) there was only about 15 thou on the one I checked. *** edit: Just checked a new blade and it averaged 16 thou set. *** I reset them to 21 thou on the first sharpening and they sawed good but were a little rougher. Keep in mind I'm still in the beginning of the learning curve.

Tom,
Thanks for clearing that up. I got two cams with the grinder and the other cam is ground for the cook's super sharp blades. Theres a difference in the looks of the profile for the monks and supersharps even though both are 7/8 pitch. The cook's also looks like it might be ground with less hook, I'll have a better idea after I get a chance to use them.