iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

used woodmizer

Started by trapper, June 02, 2007, 12:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

I just learned of a woodmizer LT30 for sale in my area.  What do I look for  problems in a used woodmizer?  What is a fair price range for it?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Tom

About the only thing that would turn down a sale would be bent frame. 

The condition of the engine would be a high dollar item.  Most of the rest is made up of replaceable parts that would be considered maintenance items.  The better it had been maintained, the fewer of these will be of immediate impact.

The first things to go that affect operation are the electric motors and switches.  If you haven't had too much experience with DC electric, you will now.  The motor brushes are about the only maintenance, other than greasing drum switches.

The Roller guides have bearings that will need replacing fairly regularly and the rollers themselves less frequently.  The rollers replacement is due to wear that cause them to become conical.

The cam follower bearings that the head of the mill runs on should be free.

Hydraulic handles, if it is a hydraulic mill, should be firm to the touch.  If they are floppy, you may need centering springs and internal switches.

Don't be worried about the axle looking crooked, Woodmizers are built that way so that they trail in the same lane as the towing vehicle.

Not knowing age or condition, keep in mind that a sawmill is a machine that gets hard use.  It's looks don't always signify its condition.  If you suspect poor maintenance then be prepared to throw a lot of parts at it.

woodmills1

BTW I still haven't replaced any hydraulic hoses on my 93 HD-40 8)  I would buy another used woodmizer in a heartbeat, though i would be wary of an engine with lotsa hours and as said a way under maintained one.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

As Tom mentioned, unless the frame is bent, the rest is just parts. Make a list of things that need to be replaced and factor that into what you think the value of the mill is. The LT40G24 that I run has over 3000 hours on it and has had a relatively small amount of repair work done to it. Mostly drum switches and belts. The little Onan runs like a top, but it has has the oil changed every 25 hours since new.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MartyParsons

If you get me the year and hours I can give you the Orange book value, If we have the customer # we can even look at what parts have been purchased. If it has options like Hydralics, Log deck package Debarker we can enter this also. Hours do not hurt these mills as long as the proper maintenance has been performed. Most all parts are still available for the very first mill built so parts are not a problem.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

trapper

Marty check your mail
trapper
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

MartyParsons

You should have the information. did you get it?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

trapper

got it thanks Now i need to look at the mill in person. A friend told me of it and I only had a phone conversation with the owner.

trapper

bought it  thanks all for the advice.  more questions will be coming im sure

Dan_Shade

congratulations!  you're in for some fun now!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

John_Haylow

Congratulations on getting your mill . Enjoy it.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

trapper

Made my first board yesterday.  Only problem with the mill was the operator.  Wife came out to watch and i forgot to raise blade before putting carriage in reverse and knocked blade off band wheels with her watching.

OneWithWood

Excellent  8)

So now she knows how to change a blade  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D Maybe learned a few new words too. Can you post some pictures?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

trapper
Good one, and it should go in the "Crazy Things my Spouse Does" thread... :D :D :D :D
Surely is her fault for distracting you like that.. :)  she hasn't lost her touch.

Pics of those new words would be great too.. :D :D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!