iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

As I sit here with ice on my head I think I should have kept my hard hat on

Started by Part_Timer, June 01, 2007, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

Cory came over last weekend with a maple log.  It's in the neighborhood of 36"x8'.  I had the can't hook in it when we were unloading it and even though it is a bit soft on the outside it wasn't a problem to get a good bite on things.

Well tonight I was trying to move it into position so I can roll it under the mill.  I had a block under the left side and was trying to turn it 90 deg.  I had taken a good bite with the hook and was rocking the log so it would turn.  Things were going well and I had stepped up on the side of the log to get better leverage when the wood in the hook let loose of the log and now I can see the clouds rolling by, and my skull is mighty tender.

I layed there for a bit wondering if my eyes would uncross and thought that next time I'll keep my hard hat on.  ;D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Tom

Yessir, that hurts.  I had a hook I made from a 4x4x8 sweetgum and was moving a big oak log.  I jumped up on the log and then swung out on the end of the hook, pulling as I went.  The 4x4 broke between the hook and end of the 4x4.  I went straight to the ground and lost all of my wind.  To ad insult to injury, the 4x4 came down smacked me across the face.   That's the problem with wood.  It goes bad over a period of time and you get complacent.

Next time you want to turn a log, place the 2x4, or whatever, in the center of the log and roll the log up on it.  Then you can turn the log where you want it with your finger.  :)

Part_Timer

I guess I should have asked the question of how to turn big logs yesterday.  Then maybe the wife wouldn't be sitting there wanting to take a picture of the knot on my head to post for you guys. :)

Thanks Tom I'll give that a try tomorrow after work.  Sounds like a safer way.  At least less painfull
Peterson 8" ATS.

Tom

I want to see the picture of the knots....  knothead.  :D :D

lots of times I'll lay a 2x4 in the middle of a log and make a one track trail to roll it, especially if there is a long way to go.

Part_Timer

:D :D :D :D :D

That's the nicest thing that has been said to me all day.  ;D
Peterson 8" ATS.

logwalker

Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

WDH

Reminds me of my worst cant-hook experience (sorry about the knot on your head, Part_Timer.  You know, if you deal with wood, you have to deal with the knots ;D). 

I was pulling tree length walnut logs off a log truck with a snatch rope and a tractor.  Everything was going fine until I pulled off so many logs that I had blocked the path of the tractor, requiring removal-from-the-scene of the removed logs so that I could access the remaining logs on the log trailer.

I was using a cant hook to roll the removed logs off to each side to clear a path.  There was one big log with a big hump of sweep in it.  I rolled it over until I had the horns of the sweep just about past the center of gravity, but I did not quite make it.  The forces at play caused the cant hook to snap back and hit me square on the shoulder blade.  With a 2500 pound log providing the impetus, it was a powerful snap-back.  The momentum of the log rolling back to my side of the equation knocked me flat on the ground, only I did not hit the ground first.  Between me and the ground was a cross-tie, so that the center of my lower back engaged the cross-tie at the end of the tie where all the pointed angles are.

Well, I laid there on the ground stunned.  As my senses returned, I was sure I had a broken back.  Not broken, but over the next two weeks, a dinner-plate sized area on my lower back managed to turn every color in the universe, mostly a dark forest green, deep blue-black, with crimson on the edges.

Gravity is a powerful thing, Part_Timer.  We have to respect gravity.  Good to hear that you only ended up with a knot on your head ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

maple flats

Yea, gravity is the most powerful thing we have, it never quits or even lets up when we want.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

woodmills1

sympathy on the 4x4 adding insult

I broke a peavy turning a big 16 foot pine
fell flat on my back and the broken handle came down right between my legs like a cartoon
dont know what hurt more my back or my.......................... :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

Okay Tom,

Last I heard from you I think you told me......"Yup, I'm puttin' my mill up for the summer!"

Now you have head contusions......... ??? ??? ??? ???

Katie's gotta get some pics of that knot fer us........ :D :D :D

Let's hope ya saw all summer long....without the Knots.....  ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

I'll be taking my hardhat back up to the property with me this next time. I didnt have it this past week, as I thought I didn't need it. I was only cutting small cedar to clear walking paths on the property. Tammy and I approached a dead birch snag that was in the way.  I looked up and gave it a shake and it seemed quite solid. It was only the stem left and maybe 20 feet tall.  I touched it with the chainsaw and then felt something hit (graze) my shoulder quite solidly. The top two foot decided to come down after all. If it would have hit me in the head, it would not have been good. Learned my lesson.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Part_Timer

Well this morning isn't to bad.  I still feel like my left eye is still trying to uncross.  I'm glad I still have part of the foam handle on the Logrite.  Perhaps it was just getting back at me for hooking it up to the truck.   ::) ::)

Jeff, Glad it missed you.  I have the Stihl hardhat with the ear mufs and face shield.  I always wear it when sawing.  When I first started I was sawing some osage down for a neighbor.  I made the notch and started on the backcut when WHAM one of theose big seed pods came down from about 30' right straight on top of my  head.  It took a bit before the tears went away enough I could see.  I put the saw in the truck and drove 20 miles to the Stihl dealer and bought a helmet. 

Burlkraft.  I had the mill in the garage since winter but I needed to get a red oak cut up for a stair case so I pulled it out and went to work.  I also had a nice ash that came off of the river to finish, it will make a nice kiln load.  Well folks saw the mill and logs started piling up. I tried to explain that I was just cutting for myself but I have a hard time saying no to good neighbors.  Seems that the only thing that makes lags pile up faster than buying a mill is trying to shut one down.   ;)  ;D ;D  Truth be told I've given up on getting out of the sawing business, but that is another story for another topic........ but I do have pictures. :) :) :)

WDH I do respect gravity. I just forget about it sometimes.  ;D
Peterson 8" ATS.

WDH

Back in my philosopher days, I pondered the meaning of truth.  After a number of years, I realized that truth is very hard to define.  However, there is one part of the equation that I did figure out..........

Gravity = Truth ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Batty said it best, "gravity works"!!!!! 8)

Back in school days we were at summer camp, working in the woods on some useless college project or the other, and the prof required  us to wear our hard hats, '50's' model that looked like a WWI helmet, and made of multiple layers of fiber glass, or something.  Anywho, working away and a little thunder storm blows up, little wind, and I find myself picking myself up off the ground,  hardhat looked like it had been run over by a steam roller, all the plys splayed out like orange peels.  Limb out of a tree hit me solid, and the hat worked, according to what the prof said.

I keep one handy in the truck.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dave Shepard

Was the professor holding the "limb" when you came to? ;)

When I have a log on the deck that has a butt swell and is going to roll the wrong way, I stick the point of the peavey into a chain link and nudge the end of the log over. Well, I had a big pine on the deck that was fighting a little, so I gave it a really big nudge. The hook of the peavey cought the side of the deck and pivoted my hand right into my eye socket. It layed me right out on the ground. :o Now I have a peavey without a hook for assorted levering activities.

On the back of a plastic bag from Target is a list of ten things you can do with the bag. One of them is "Ice pack for that lump on your head". How did they know I was going to read the bag? :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MGHGrand

Tom when I first met you where as hard headed as they come!  ;D I figured that noggin would break any Hickory handle!  :D Just teasin, Hope you are allright.
Marty

Part_Timer

MGH My noggin might have broken a hickory handle but not a Logrite. ;)  Hay you should have been at work Friday instead of Don.  I had 150bf of ash in the back of the truck.  8 or 10 of the boards were 14" wide.  Just teasing.  NOT :D :D
Peterson 8" ATS.

timcosby

ain't it funny how much harder the ground is as you get older!!!!! smiley_brick hits_hardhat

John_Haylow

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Part_Timer

Tim  It's funny how much less we bounce as we get older.  I wonder if that 10 lbs I've put on has anything to do with it. :D
Peterson 8" ATS.

JV

I'm a firm believer that gravity increases as you get older.  Case in point when a couple of

years ago I stepped backwards out of the backhoe cab to put some plastic tile in a ditch

repair.  Problem was I was in a hurry and  had forgotten that I had the stabilizers all the way

down and the step was about 3' higher.  Just laid there enjoying the May sky for sometime.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Grawulf

Guys,
I had a close friend that went out to cut some logs this last winter and didn't take everything into consideration when felling a large red oak. He missed the dead snag left over from the ice storm of two years ago - I don't think he even felt it. I've inherited his kiln and his widow is selling all his tools in two weeks. I'd much rather have my friend around. Makes you look at things a little more soberly - take your time...........wear your hard hat and chaps................ don't become careless. Dis body is kinda fragile. Your kids and wife are worth the extra mile that you go to be safe.   Devan

Thank You Sponsors!