iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone recommend a blade for sawing black locust?

Started by Modat22, May 30, 2007, 02:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I got my hands on some black locust logs they're still green and I've cut very little locust in the past. My mill is slightly underpowered at 20hp so I have to take that into consideration.

I usually run WM 1.25  10 pitch and 9 pitch.
remember man that thy are dust.

ely

i am going to cut a small one this eve.
why do you think your mill is underpowered.

Modat22

My blade speed drops really low when cutting anything 30 plus inches in diameter. I lined up 45 inches of pine cants two weeks ago to resaw them into 2x6's for a guy and my saw barely had enough power to do the job. I ended up loading 3 cants at a time.

My engine is an old wisconsin 4 cyl 20 hp at 2500 rpm max, I bet a 20hp kohler running 3450 rpm with different pulley's would make a better power plant. I'd like to put a 30+ hp motor on there  :)

MartyParsons

9 degree hook 1 1/4 width. .045 thick. 20 hp is good. 4 degree would be my next choice but the 9 will work. You should check the band speed, I do not know the RPM we run the blade at, they say it is not given out? Maybe some one here knows?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

mike_van

I sawed some a few weeks ago for a guys sills. I used the same blades [Red Streaks, .045, 7/8" ts, .020 set] that I use for everything. It sawed well, you really have to saw around the heart, and a lot of the boards just peel up like skis.  I needed 4x6's, and at one point had a 6x8 I was tempted to split in half to get two, but past practice has shown me this won't work, they'll bow away from each other something awful. Last year I cut some that was dead standing, that will heat up your blades, dull them fast too.  I read they used to use locust for the pegs in barns, the old timers said it would last two years longer than stone. :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

GF

Modat is that a VH4D Wisconsin?  I thought the VH4D Wisconsins were rated at 30HP.  Used to run one on my mill, and it would bog down on big cuts, ended up putting a new Brigss 31HP V-Twin on it, now when it gets a good load on it you can hear the govenor kick in and it keeps cutting.  I also drive a 18GPM hydraulic pump off the same motor.

GF

Modat22

Mine's a VE4 one of the original wisconsin 4cylinder motors made back in 1953 or 1956

Tom

Have you guys offered black locust to the fellows in the timberframe section to use for pins?  It seems someone is always looking for pin stock.

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Modat22

Quote from: Tom on May 30, 2007, 07:35:50 PM
Have you guys offered black locust to the fellows in the timber frame section to use for pins?  It seems someone is always looking for pin stock.

I wouldn't mind cutting it but having time to get it together and shipping would be too difficult for me.

Since you mentioned it though what type of cut and dimension is timber frame pin stock?

jackpine

Glad you asked the question as I have about 50 black  locust logs in the yard right now, half of them are 18 footers to be sawn into 6" x6" timbers. I was planning on and will use 9° blades. They will be sawn sometime next week  and I'll let you know how they come out.

Thank You Sponsors!