iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help regarding Logging Arch

Started by wesdor, May 29, 2007, 10:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm awaiting my arch that is coming via the Forestry Forum Turtle Express. :D  Folks are trying it out on its way.  I will be using it in about as sensitive area as you would want to try.  The Mark7 is the one I chose as I can use it manually or with the ATV. There are areas on my property I dont even want a quad to go, but there are some down Northern white cedar that are crying to be utilized other then for composing.  I'll be able to use the arch to get to where ever it is I choose to set up my sawmill with out ripping up the property to do it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Actually Jeff, you should be able to use the arch to help suspend the log and then winch the arch out so the quad don't really even need to go there.

Jeff

I don't have to many straight shots to winch logs through. Two people on the Mark7 on even big white cedar won't be to bad for short distances. I'm creating maintenance trails to have short access routes to much of my property.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

I want to add a hitch like that to the log with ratchet straps.
It will be V shape to accept any size log, within reason.

beenthere

Just need a telescoping tongue, that will pull (slide) out after being strapped to the log, and then can be strapped to the log end as you show. Maybe the logrite arch already does that? or no? or could?

All mods add to the weight and the cost...... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

I made up a thing like that, Kevin, i haven't used it much, I need to redo a larger version of the dolly on the front.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

asy

We have a really cool set of log arches.

Here's a photo of part of one of them.

I have some better photos, including shots of recent upgrades which I'll post tonight (no time to resize now).

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

jim blodgett

Nice.  What diameter log will fit in that?  You build that, or...?

Kevin

Looks good Dan, a couple of 10,000lb. straps would do that justice.

Dan_Shade

yeah, that was a "prototype test".  I made it where I could use chains and binders as well.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

asy

Jim, about a 700mm diameter log will fit comfortably.

The log you see in the photo in the other post was just over 500mm diameter. It was the first 'really big' tree I dropped :D I was pretty proud of dropping it EXACTLY where I was aiming :D

The arches are a pair, one has a towball gooseneck on the front of it, and the other has a straight shaft. Both shafts telescope into themselves so you can adjust the length.

The one problem we had was getting the log high enough up off the ground so it didn't drag. Even though you can start putting the log under the arch with the neck straight up, then attach the log, then pull the neck down and it lifts the log up, this still didn't lift it enough for us. So we had a plate attached to the top of the arch and attached a crane to it. Now it's so much easier to lift the logs! And the crane is removeable if required.

We also had a towball fitted to the back of each arch, so they can tow each other in any order, and again, it's easier.

The arches were 'designed' by Andrew, based on all sorts of arches he'd seen on the net, and manufactured by a friend of ours who has a machine shop.

Here's a photo of the recent modifications to the arch, it's easy enough that Stephanie can use them (under supervision):

You can see the crane, and the towball (if you look carefully). The crane is only used to lift the log into position, then it's secured with chain. The arch is never moved with the crane under tension as we don't think that's safe.

Here's the arches at either end of a really long log: (note that these were taken before the crane plate was attached).

There are quite a few more shots of the arches in my GALLERY.

Hope this helps,

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

jim blodgett

Thanks, man.  Clever design(s). I'm gonna go eyeball your gallery.

wesdor

Hey Jeff,

I received an e-mail today saying that my arch would ship this week!  I may get mine before you get yours, or has your already arrived. 

At any rate, as soon as I get a chance to use it, I'll try to post some photos for everyone to check out.

Thanks for helping me make this choice.

Furby

Wesdor, you need to follow this thread to see where Jeff's arch is. ;)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=23479.0

atvlogger27

Very creative designs and fabrications folks!

rebocardo

> I am looking for an arch that keeps the entire log off the ground and is less than $2,000. 

I remember a thread a while back about someone using two of them to harvest logs from a golf course with tight clearance. I would call that a low impact situation.

Ironwood

Here are a few "homebrew" type arches. The BIG one is HUGE, the little one is for behind a HPX Gator.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

wesdor

As this thread will show, I purchased the Mark 7 and am very pleased with it.  However, my need is to move about a log of about 12 foot maximum length.  I've moved some longer but they weren't big and heavy.

I believe someone else on this board suggested using a strap around the front of the arch to hold up the front of the log.  That has been my practice if I had something too long to balance correctly.  So far it has worked well for me.

From what you write, I think you want a two part arch like others have pictured here, but I did want to share my solution.

Ironwood

Suspend the log from the middle balance point, the BIG oone will move a 18'er or so fully suspended, and the little one about a 12'er. The little one is a leverage lift w/ log tongs attached to the back, the BIG one uses an 8000 lb hand crank winch to lift, sometimes I use a come-along to hold the front to the "backbone" of the arch.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!