iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modat's sawmill

Started by Modat22, May 05, 2006, 08:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I got my main beam mounted on the slides today,

also got the tension slider welded up and mounted on the beam.

Not sure about that gearbox, its 50 to 1 and would be slower than dirt if used for a lift, I'd have to make it motorized to make it practical.
remember man that thy are dust.

J_T

That axle held a 8,000 lb car and 6 fat men doing 100mph it should work for you  :D :D My sawhead I used a 50 to 1 gear box and drove it with a grauge door opener not a house type one but those bigger shop types. I am sure the tiller one will work I had both . Hit my speed about right the first try don't know how ??? I used 60 chain now I will be working on some pre set's . Don't have much time to work on it but my uncle wants his shop back . Been playing at this thing off and on for a year now . It's hard to run a circle mill, log and invent all at once  ::)
Jim Holloway

highpockets

Modat, I think the reduction unit will work ok.  If I knew for sure I was going to be coming close to you on our trip, I'd bring you a box. I think I have a couple laying around.  Don't know for sure though. 

From what I have learned over the past six year of experimenting, slow ain't bad on a raise system.  Accuracy is important.  I started out using a gearbox with lift chains.  It was loaded and sometimes my slides would kind of stick.  I then went to a system kind of like a set of lift arms on the back of a tractor. This guaranteed equal force up or down.  At that time I decided to use a hydraulic cylinder to work the arm.  This proved to be too fast. I finally settled on a hydraulic motor driving a 2:1 ratio 50 pitch sprocket to drive a 1" x 5 t.p.i. acme rod.  It is fast enough to work well and slow enough to set accurately.

My suggestion is bolt everything you can so you don't have to cut off things with a torch when you want to modify stuff.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Modat22

Quote from: highpockets on May 15, 2006, 07:37:17 AM
Modat, I think the reduction unit will work ok.  If I knew for sure I was going to be coming close to you on our trip, I'd bring you a box. I think I have a couple laying around.  Don't know for sure though. 

From what I have learned over the past six year of experimenting, slow ain't bad on a raise system.  Accuracy is important.  I started out using a gearbox with lift chains.  It was loaded and sometimes my slides would kind of stick.  I then went to a system kind of like a set of lift arms on the back of a tractor. This guaranteed equal force up or down.  At that time I decided to use a hydraulic cylinder to work the arm.  This proved to be too fast. I finally settled on a hydraulic motor driving a 2:1 ratio 50 pitch sprocket to drive a 1" x 5 t.p.i. acme rod.  It is fast enough to work well and slow enough to set accurately.

My suggestion is bolt everything you can so you don't have to cut off things with a torch when you want to modify stuff.

I'm finally getting to a point where I'm uncertain about welds and starting to drill and thread, Thats the good thing about using 1/4" stock (room for threads). I really wanted to go with a chain based lift but really the cash is a problem, so I'm going to start out using cable similar to Edsaws mill with the intent of switching it over to chain in the future.

I'm kinda at a point where I can't do much until I get my v-casters, stub axle and tires. I can't make my motor mounts until I know how my axle is installed and I can't buy my pullies until I have my tires etc. Actually its a bit frustrating, I want to work on it but I can't rush it though I want too  :(

I want to start sawing.

other problems I'm having
1. Is finding help moving the parts around, its so heavy I almost get a hearnia trying to muscle parts around for welding.

2. I'm fighting rust, building this outside means loads of exposure to water and then rust. So I'm painting welds as fast as I can.

I'll probably be asking you guys to check my math when it comes time to pulley selection, I hope you don't mind  ;D

Anyway, thanks for the moral support and the information its going to be very helpful.

Modat22

Woo hoo. Got some parts in today!

8) 8)

Modat22

I put a boat wench on my lift today,. Its temporary. I need to rethink my lift system a little bit and I still wanted to be able work on other things thus the boat wench lift mechanism. If I could figure out how to make the boat wench lift everything accuratly I'd probably stick with it but I kinda like the duel cable or chain idea better.

woodbowl

Quote from: Modat22 on May 15, 2006, 04:43:23 PM

Modat, where did you get your "V" rollers and how much were they?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Modat22

Quote from: woodbowl on May 17, 2006, 11:17:44 PM
Quote from: Modat22 on May 15, 2006, 04:43:23 PM

Modat, where did you get your "V" rollers and how much were they?

I got them from www.northerntool.com v casters 4" 20.99 each.

They're not bad though the supports they are on are only but welded on one side. IMO a person might want to put a bead weld on the unwelded side before using them. But they are enameled and greasable. Over all a pretty nice caster.

sawguy21

What does your significant other have to say about the boat wench ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Modat22

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 18, 2006, 09:52:10 AM
What does your significant other have to say about the boat wench ???

Whoops, I guess that would be a sub conscience slip and or wishful thinking..... ::)

Modat22

Does this pully size sound right based on this calculation?

motor 2500 rpm
4 inch motor pulley
15.75 inch drive wheel pulley
tire diameter = 28inches

2500 X 4 / 15.75 x 3.1416 x 28 / 12 = 4654 fpm band blade speed.

I had a fella tell me to shoot for a blade speed of 4500 to 4800 with my 20hp motor.

Sound about right?

RichlandSawyer

Howdy Modat22,

2 x Pi x 14 = 87.92 wheel circ.

15.75 / 4 = 3.9375 sheave ratio

2500 / 3.9375 = 634.921 wheel rpm

634.921 x 87.92 = 55822.254 inches/min

55822.254 / 12 = 4651.8545 fpm

Looks like you're on the money.

Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Modat22

Quote from: RichlandSawyer on May 19, 2006, 03:14:46 PM
Howdy Modat22,

2 x Pi x 14 = 87.92 wheel circ.

15.75 / 4 = 3.9375 sheave ratio

2500 / 3.9375 = 634.921 wheel rpm

634.921 x 87.92 = 55822.254 inches/min

55822.254 / 12 = 4651.8545 fpm

Looks like you're on the money.

Thankyou sir!

Going ahead and ordering my pulleys  :)

Part_Timer

Sounds like your well on your way.

you'll be making lumber in no time
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Fla._Deadheader

Motor is only rated at 2500 RPM ???  Most are close to 3600 ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Modat22

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on May 19, 2006, 06:07:20 PM

Motor is only rated at 2500 RPM ???  Most are close to 3600 ??

Yep, old wisconsin long stroke. Rated to run max 2500 rpm forever.

Shawn

What is that in the lower right corner of the pic with your bearings and groover wheel?

Richlandsawyer:
I came up with 6283.2FPM with my 11HP engine.
3600RPM
4" clutch
12" pulley
20" dia wheel
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

RichlandSawyer

Hi Shawn.

Thats what i get to 6280 fpm. Also for future reference for someone designing ther own mill, The school of thought is the bigger the band wheel the better. The theory is the larger the radius the less stress on the blade making the corner but the problem is you are moving your blade farther away from the center of your shaft which will reduce torque at the blade.
I'm alittle foggy right now but if i get a chance tomorrow night i will try to do the calculation to determine the torque difference between say a 19 inch wheel and a 26 or 28 inch wheel. I guess i'm just curious what is the minumum hp for different size band wheels. We'll just have to see what we can figure out.

Shawn

We'll be waiting like the next episode of american idol!
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

D._Frederick

RichlandSawyer

If I remember correctly, if you keep the band speed the same from a  19 inch wheel to a 26 inch wheel, the pull on the band will be the same.

RichlandSawyer

D_Frederick,

That throws a whole new twist into this i'm gonna have to rethink now. I didnt consider the fact that the wheel would be turning slower to achieve the same fpm. Man this is getting complicated.

Modat22

Quote from: Shawn on May 20, 2006, 01:16:09 AM
What is that in the lower right corner of the pic with your bearings and groover wheel?

Richlandsawyer:
I came up with 6283.2FPM with my 11HP engine.
3600RPM
4" clutch
12" pulley
20" dia wheel

thats a trailer hub with a stubby axle. I'm going to use that on the freewheel wide of the mill. I got my tracks welded up today and started on a jig to hold them parallel to each other. My angle blew up today and I really need it, I may have to wait till I purchase a new one next week to continue.

Thank you all for you're fantastic input and ideas, its keeping me motivated.

Modat22

I got the tracks level, lined up and welded to the bed today and set the carrage up there. Took a little while.

I borrowed a lazer transite and a guy to use it when I shimmed leveled and welded my tracks one. I had to do my tracks different than most of you because I didn't use box tubing but I'm right on with the deck top.

Hello from a 6'7" redneck.

highpockets

It is looking good.  I am tempted to drop by to see it in person on my way back from D.C. .  Did you get the autocad drawing on the blade guide??

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Modat22

Not yet. Looks like I might be having a temporary email server problem. I'll keep my eyes open for it though. Thanks a bunch!

I'm taking next weekend off from building and going camping and fishing with Miss Moose. She's been taking online cources in accounting for the past few months and gets a break in the action this weekend.

Thank You Sponsors!