iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too much?

Started by Linda, March 22, 2003, 07:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda

ElectricAl and I sawed over 1500 bdft of 9/4 Soft maple between customers and other interruptions today.  8)

I took a slab from the loader arms of the sawmill.  As I hurried out of the way of Al (and the saw head coming at me)  I jammed my knee cap into the end of the loader arm.  :o
I hobbled away and then came back to the saw for the next board.  Here I am limping and the next board for me is a
2 1/4" x 12" x 9' with the word "DanG" written in great big letters.   ::)

Do you think maybe Al has been spending too much time on the Forestry Forum? :-/

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Mark M

I tink so Linda, its possible to over do it. I been here so much dat I'm startin to talk like dat Chet fella.  :D

Jeff

Oh contrar' mademoiselle, Its clear that that Al is expanding his horizons due to the forum. 4 cases in point.

1. Communication Skills
2. Alternative Languages
3. Hightened Awareness levels
4. Multi-tasking

;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ElectricAl

Who's Hogging the computer? ???

Linda is chatting on the phone and posting on the FF.

Thanks to Jeff and everyone who have helped me to be a sensitive and well rounded individual. :D :D :D

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Fla._Deadheader

Does anyone use a set of rollers to help move the slabs and boards away from the mill?? I just finished a set that I will use, instead of carrying all the stuff ??????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Linda

Hey!  Al!  When did you sneak that picture?  :-[

Well, it just shows how multi tasked I can be.  ;D   I was probably cleaning your computer mess up at the same time, too!!  ;D

You know this is great!  We are together all day razzing each other and now we can even razz each other on the Forum!   :-*

What more could there be to life? :)

Fla_Deadheader,

We use a roller track to move our boards from the sawmill to the edger and then our edger is close to the lumber stacks, so we only have to lift one end of a board at a time.  

We used to carry everything, or rather I carried almost everything.  ::)  Until I found out I had a "bulging disc" in my back.  Six weeks of recovery.  :'(  Then, going from lifting things equal to my own weight, to only lifting things half my weight, made us rethink our "work smarter not harder" strategy.

Linda

Minnesota_boy

Harold,
I use rollers but only for the pieces that I can't handle alone.  Check the setup on the last of this post.
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1046697157
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Fla._Deadheader

Glad to see that some folks use rollers. Can't believe that Arky and Rodney CARRY ties?? When I ran the Circle mill, I had 1 teenage boy that handled everything that came off the saw, from the offbearer. Another teenage boy as the offbearer and another teenage boy as the log turner. We averaged 35000 ft a week, and the boys did a fine job. Could've hurt them easy without rollers. Even had a special set for the ties, after they were sent down the rollers from the saw.

Someday, I really want to visit Al and Linda. Looks like they have a great business going. During that trip, I probably would go through Mo. and Ar. as well??
   First, it is ridiculed;

Linda

Fla._deadheader,

Here is our roller track system.

The track has an incline part of the way to the edger.  The last 4' is flat and is an inch higher than the edger rollers. This way the board can be quickly redirected onto the edger.

In the past, before we got smart, there was a table where the roller track now sits.  Lumber was transferred to the table, then later transferred to the edger.
That's a lot of boards to lift twice in a day.
I still carry the lighter boards that don't need to be edged.  
It is quicker and easier and I like the exercise.

Linda

ElectricAl

Amazing what some exercize can do for your wife.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Fla._Deadheader

Linda, nice set-up. As you get older, you really start looking for easier ways to handle the load. Thanks for the pic.
   First, it is ridiculed;

EZ

Couple of wks ago, my wife was pretty mad at our one son-in-law. I seen every muscle on her pop out. :o I now do the dishes & sweep the floor for her. ;D
EZ

Norm

One of the nice things about running a sawmill is that you don't have to worry about not getting enough exercise. My wife helps with the sawing and does a set of exercise tapes that I swear some masochist made. My exercise is to open the bottles for her when we get done for the day ;D

I hate doing dishes but love to cook so early on in our marriage we made an arrangement, I cook and she does the dishes.

whitepe

It looks like Linda has figured out that biceps
don't lift boards,  lumbar spines do!   ;D
My back is envious of your roller system.
I've got some rollers that I recently bought
from the new Harbor Freight store in Peoria.
Haven't got around to making the roller table yet.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Linda

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whitepe,

You and your "lumbar spine" will be glad you took the time to make a roller system.

There are only a few minor problems with ours (and this is only a problem when using a two person team).

The track is in the way when:
I want to actually carry a board straight from the mill (I have to race the head on its return, so I don't get trapped between the head and roller track.
Or whenever I step back from flying debarker debris, the roller track is in the way.

If the legs would support the track in two separate sections, that would give another place to "escape", without having to go all the way around.  This may not be an issue for you if you saw by yourself or if you aren't in a confined space.

Just a couple of thoughts.

:) (I was starting to have "Smiley Withdrawl Syndrome")  :)

Jeff

Bibbyman

Well,  If Linda is "Super Sawyer" and Mary is "Pro-Sawyer" then are they Sawyer Sisters?  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Jeff,

I was not a fan of tatoo's until now ;D

Very nice work ;)

Bibbyman,

We have been blessed 8)

Linda

::) :-[ ;D ::) :-[ ;D :-/

Huh!
Just [shadow=red,left,300]TOO MUCH ![/shadow]

You're my best friend now Jeff! ;D

whitepe

My wife rides a Harley and I haven't been able to
convince her to get a tattoo yet!  I told her that she
needs a tat that reads "Motorcycle Momma"   8)

It was a negotiated deal between us when she
bought the Harley. She got it if I could by the
four wheel drive JD compact utility tractor.
It was equally fair as they are both 1500 cc.   :D

As for myself, I have to ride a rice burner.  :D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Tom

I never could get used to the idea of a cartoon indelibly imprinted on my skin either. :-/ :)

ElectricAl

Whitepe,

There is nothing wrong with riding a "Rice Burner"

Some very famous people ride "Rice Burners"

By the way, "Rice" produces plenty O power :o

[shadow=red,left,300]ElectricAl and Linda[/shadow]

Jeff

So I take it thats rice smoke. :D

ElectricAl

Jeff,

Think I need new Rings? ???

Weekend_Sawyer

Not that I would knock any one's ride but  I just Loooooove my Road King!

When we were in Vegas about a hundred vespas went by and I swear they were chanting
  "Were bad to the bone bad to the bone!!"
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!