iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing swamp mats

Started by Larry, May 28, 2007, 07:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I've seen all these trucks in a staging area hauling wood products that I've never seen before.  Curiosity got the best of me so I stopped in to learn a little more. 

Made for a pipeline company putting in a 100 miles of line.  There Cat D9's run on em over soft ground.  This one company has bought over 3,000 of these mats this year.  There all supposed to be hardwood.  They buy from a broker that buys from small sawmills all across the country.  The manager I was talking to said many of these mats were from Katrina blow downs.  Seems like shipping to north Missouri would be cost prohibitive.  All were sawn boxed heart, and some had a lot of wane.  Didn't see any off a bandmill.  The guy I was talking to said they buy from 16' long to 20' with 18's and 20's the most popular.

They are far bigger than anything I could or would want to handle.  I did pick up a nice order for blocking that I passed on to a fellow sawyer, since for the most part my mill is shut down.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

Glad to see the trees are not going to waste.It's good they are buying the mats from the little guy. Around here the mats are made from hemlock.These are mostly used in the woods for skidders and forwarders.There was a bridge that was built here and a lot of foot square cants were used to get the crane in place.They look just about the same,wane and all.Would be easy to saw.Just hard to get those foot ones off the mill without a machine to help out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jon12345

I don't wanna meet the man that can stack one of those 16'+  :o I have enough trouble stackin  8' 6x8"s  :(
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Bibbyman

We've sawn out a lot (hundreds total) of 6x8 by 10' and other combinations for a local crane company.  Some are used for bridging and blocking but at least a couple of big orders were put together for mats like above - just not as wide.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

tcsmpsi

There are two mills I have seen close by open up and cutting mats of varying sizes.  One of the millsites hasn't been open for many, many years, about 15 mi. to the south.  The other, I pass every day coming in to the shop.

Hopefully, there are a lot of the Rita blowdowns being utilized.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

customsawyer

That is what I have been cutting for the most part since the first part of the year. The only break I get from them is when I get a special order for some cypress timbers that I supply to some timber frame builders.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

We got a call yesterday from a buyer in Kansas that wanted 100 3x12s 12' long.  They were for the oil industry.

Mary told him we didn't have enough logs to take the order but would get with the logger to see if he would be able to come up with what we needed.

She called and talked to the logger a couple of times and still not got an answer. 

Being short of logs when we need them is sure putting a crimp on our business. >:(
Sawing since '94

WDH

Just curious, Bibby, is there a species specification?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: WDH on June 05, 2007, 11:05:20 PM
Just curious, Bibby, is there a species specification?

Any kind of oak.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!