iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New desk = happy wife, my own lumber = happy me

Started by mike_van, May 28, 2007, 04:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

This past winters project was a new desk for my wife, she had seen one she liked at a friends house & took some pics. of it. I made it out of walnut I'd sawn & air dried 3 or 4 years ago, except for the top & the drawer knobs which are rock maple that had  started to spalt. The lower sections that are fabric covered are cork for tacks, the center is an old piece of sheet metal, cleaned up & polyurethaned for magnets. Instead of a center drawer, theres a pull out for keyboard & mouse. She's happy with it, so that makes me happy too. :)   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thurlow

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

PawNature

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

asy

What at truly glorious desk to be proud of.

Wish I was that talented!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Left Coast Chris

Mike,  that desk will be an heirloom for generations.  Very Beautiful.  I love the contrasting colors of the wood.   Would you mind showing us a pic of the drawer construction?   Im slowly working on a desk and am pondering the different options for drawer construction.   Great Work!!! :o :o

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

mike_van

I make about the easiest drawer possible, these are tulip & basswood with 1/4" luan bottoms. I know many use dovetails, but this simple construction has worked on the kitchen ones I did 20 years ago. Some of those take a beating. I use simple butt joints, glued with resin coated box nails. The sides, front & back get a 1/4" rabbet 1/4" from the lower edge for the bottom. The front panels are screwed on from the inside, a little tricky to have the drawer installed, hold the front on where it lines up nicely, then push the drawer out [without letting it slip] and screw the front on. 

thecfarm

If Mama is happy everyone is happy and I don't blame her a bit.That is a fine piece of work.Good work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sgtmaconga

the workmanship is top rate. makes me want to work harder on my barn so i can start my shop
Measure twice cut once

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woody1

If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

mike_van

Thank you all for the compliments - Back in the 70's, if I couldn't make something with a chainsaw & some spikes, I wasn't interested in doing it. It's kind of evolved as I got older. The last few years projects have suffered, getting home from work at 4:30, my back just killing me, the last thing I wanted to do was stand on that concrete floor in the basement for a few more hours. Not much woodworking you can do sitting down either. This was my "dead of winter" project, when it's so cold out, you don't want to be out there if you don't have to. I've been retired a year, and starting something a 7:00 AM is a lot better than 6:00 PM. Some new cabinets [glass & walnut] for the robot collection are next on the list. Maybe a "dead of summer" job, when it's so hot & humid out that the basement's the place to be!  :)

Norm

jgoodhart

Nomad

VERY impressive workmanship!!!  I hope that got you out of a couple of things on the "honeydo" list.  I really like the contrast between the turned spalted maple knobs and the walnut drawerfronts.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Look at the grain and figure on that walnut  smiley_divide.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!