iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diode on hydraulic solenoid WM 40 super

Started by BBTom, May 28, 2007, 11:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBTom

Does anyone have the instructions to install the diode upgrade on the hydraulic solenoid? 

I blew one of them out and lost the instructions between taking the blown one off and getting a new one.  So, now I need the instructions. ;D

I get tired of buying that $40 switch on the valve body, and it is such a pain to install it with my chubby fingers. Gee whiz it seems as though they only last about 1000 hours or so. ;D

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Slabs

Hey Tom

I wasn't aware that Miser had incorporated a "diode" option on mills but if it's like the "reverse current" diode that I put on Cant Hook's mill it's across the switch terminals though probably mounted on the solenoid.  The anode of the diode goes to ground and the cathode goes to the "solenoid" terminal of the switch or from the small terminal of the solenoid to ground.  The purpose of the diode is to shunt the "reverse current" flash of energy which occurs when a solenoid coil is de-energised, to ground instead of having it arc across the switch contacts and damage them prematurely.

If this doesn't make sense or you can't find better instructions, PM me and I'll gen you up a schematic or pictoral (or both).

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

BBTom

Thank you, Slabs.

It is an upgrade that came out in '04 if I remember right.   Seems the microswitch was getting eat up too often.

I put one on last time I changed the switch, but must have reversed the leads, ::) no more diode.  :'(

I will give it another try. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

sparks

BBTom here is a wiring diagram showing how the diode wire is installed.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

BBTom

Thank you Sparks,  That is exactly what I need. 

You are always "The man with the plan" 8)

LT40HDD51

Sparks Rules 8)

Sounds like Slabs has things figgered, too... ;)
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Slabs

Waaal now there LT

I came up a little short on the actual Miser method as shown in the diagram Sparks posted.  The diode was placed across the coil of the solenoid which is actually more popular than the "coil-to-ground" method I described.  The "Diodes-across-the coil" configuration is much more appropriate for the new two-pump system. I had also forgotten that Miser uses solenoids that has both ends of the coil routed out of the solenoid so one terminal is connected to the "battery" input and the other goes through the switch to ground.  I'll learn to look at the book before I describe it next time.

Y'all have a good-un.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!