iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turman Lumber Burns

Started by Don P, May 28, 2007, 08:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I just heard on the news that one of our largest employers burned yesterday. They've been expanding and were apparently moving a boiler yesterday and some embers caught. They said much lumber and equipment has been destroyed. I was supposed to go pick up a load of oak for trim next week. These folks have been really good citizens around here, the wellness center, the ball field, alot of community improvements have come out of that plant.  I'm not sure which parts of the facility were destroyed, they run sawmill, kilns, planer/molder and storage in that yard. Much of the output goes to their log home and flooring shops. I hope they can pick up all the pieces.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

I found an article, this is sounding a little better;

LONG LINK

They are at the top of the mountain as you come north out of NC on I77, just inside the VA line. The intersection of I77 and US 58.

They produce about 50 million bf of KD lumber/year. Much of the output of their 7 sawmills runs through this plant. I think Den designed the kiln controls.

I'll be out that way today, not sure I want to clog up their scene though.

Dave Shepard

Wasn't Turman Lumber in one of the Woodmizer News editions?
Sorry to hear this.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

Well, I drove by. Happily it appears this mornings news was a little  ::).  They might have had a fire but it wasn't apparent from the road, the mill was still unloading and all the buildings I could see were intact  8). Hopefully it was some stacks out back. You never think about the domino effect till it hits close to home. They would cause a big ripple here.
I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it sounded, they have been some good folks to deal with and have been good for the community.

Don P

They have some pics from the fire and a short story up here. Bad enough but they were lucky.

http://www.hillsvillefiredepartment.com/TurmansSawmill.html

Dave Shepard

"it was a very Hot Fire to fight"

I bet it was. I would think stickered lumber would have an ideal combination of air flow and fuel.

Was the damage limited to the lumber and service truck? Or did they lose other equipment as well?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Have they determined what started it?

Don P

So far I haven't been far enough from the hermitage to find out more than what you all have read. Our next trim buy got put on hold and I haven't been back to town this week.
Driving a forklift with several burning bundles on it must have been a little disconcerting  :o.

Tom

It read as if they were moving good wood away from the fire.  I'd think twice before picking up a stack of burning wood.

Thank You Sponsors!