iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

frogs

Started by Dan_Shade, May 26, 2007, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

there are frogs hanging out in the standing water on my pool cover.  they're noisy.

at least they are eating the mosquitos (at least I hope so).
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

Tha' s neat.  I like frogs singing.

Granddaddy told me and Charlie that you could tell the size of the frog by his song.

The little frogs go: and he would get into falsetto   "ankle deep  ankle deep"
The bigger frogs go: and he would muster an alto: "shin deep shin deep"
The even bigger frogs go: and he would reach for a baritone "Knee deep Knee deep"
The biggest frogs would sing from the  center of the pond
and he would imitate with a thundering bass "  butt Deep butt Deep"

It was the most risque thing we had heard him say.
We would laugh everytime he told it and he told it often.  :D

LeeB

My dad worked on a drilling rig in the jungle in Ecuador when I was 14. We lived up in the mountains in Quito. I went to stay with him on the rig one time during spring break and a friend of mine who's dad also worked there went also. The two of us decided to sneek out of camp one night and go drink some beer. As we made our way down the jungle road toward the beer store I kept hearing somebody hollering "HEY!!". It had us both a nervous wreck. We just knew we were caught. It turned out to be great big ol' bull frogs. The sure sounded just like my dad hollering at us. We ended up getting caught anyway.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Furby

Those are probly tree frogs Dan.
We get them all the time around here and love to listen to them sing.
They change colors as well if you are looking for something to do. ;)

Dan_Shade

I figure they are tree frogs, they're tiny buggers. 

how do you make then change color?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

Put them on something of a different color.
Some won't change as much in full sun, and some change at night.
You can see the color change at night with lights. ;)

OneWithWood

Some nights in the spring the racket from the frogs in our pond is so loud we have to close all doors and windows and put a pillow over our heads to get to sleep.  And then when something comes in the yard and all the noise stops it wakes you up!! :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 28, 2007, 04:18:32 PM
. . . how do you make then change color?

Not one of my wisecracks here but something actually sincere.. . . when I was a yute livin in Flour Bluff on the Laguna Madre, me and my buddy Brian and "the twins" who lived about 4 streets over so were basically the enemies of the Bimini Street Boys (me and Brian; self-named).

Well one day we had a truce going on somehow and pal'd around all the rest of that weekend with paint cans painting turtles, frog, lizards, and anything else we could catch. I remember orange and yellow for sure. I think one of the twins had green. I didn't paint any domestics but one of them hit a cat and dog or two that was unfortunate enough to trust our "Well he's a purty dawg come' ere little fella..."
I'm not saying we painted anything else. Cause, I'm just not saying. ::)

If I could go back in time i would give myself a good thrashing or two. :)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

LeeB

Kevjay, you ever write a diary?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

:D :D

I didn't say a thing.  :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PawNature

And they taste like chicken smiley_hillbilly_tub_base
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Norm

We have a pond right out front of our house. In the spring when they're mating songs are going on you cannot hear yourself think it's so loud, those are from toads and leopard frogs. Now we have the bullfrogs booming. Boy are they spooky, you'd think they know how tasty their legs are. :D

thurlow

Quote from: PawNature on May 31, 2007, 08:37:01 AM
And they taste like chicken 

Well, where did this thread wind up?   ;D
Actually, I think they're a lot better than chicken. Usta go gigging with my Dad when I'se a little feller.  During my teenage years, went once or twice a week during the Spring; took at least 2 people; one to "hold 'em" with the light; other one to sneak up and gig 'em.  Going frog gigging was a cheap date;  didn't appeal to some girls;  pulling a frog off the gig, guts hanging out, cutting legs off a living frog.  Never ate any except for breakfast; fried frog legs, gravy, biscuits.   8)  They (bull frogs) basically disappeared sometimes during the 70s, although there are a few left (there's one living in my water garden just off my deck).  I assume the farm chemicals got 'em.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

PawNature

There is an Oriental  buffet restaurant in our little town. Every Sunday they have Frog legs (all you can eat). Needless to say I turn into a glutton after church on Sundays. smiley_bounce

Patty

Norm & his brother served up frog legs once. I just could not bring myself to eat them.  :-X   I tried, I really did! I can eat most anything, except liver.....and frog legs.  :D   
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WDH

When you batter the frog legs and fry them, they twitch around when they first hit the hot grease like they are still kicking ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PawNature

Quote from: Patty on May 31, 2007, 01:14:30 PM
Norm & his brother served up frog legs once. I just could not bring myself to eat them. :-X I tried, I really did! I can eat most anything, except liver.....and frog legs. :D
Dow Right Anti American Patty :D

Norm

When we were first married Patty and I were at my folks place visiting when the conversation turned to eating rocky mountain oysters. She proclaimed she'd been to the rocky mountains and there were no oysters there.....one more thing to add to the "I won't eat" list. :D

thurlow

Me neither...........I've castrated thousands of calves, but never wanted to eat a portion of something that was still walking around.  Kinda reminds me of the joke about amputating a pig's back leg so they could have some ham, "That's too good a hog to eat all at once." 

I would usually have somebody working for me who would say, "Hey, save them for me."
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

PawNature

Quote from: thurlow on May 31, 2007, 05:41:58 PM
Me neither...........I've castrated thousands of calves, but never wanted to eat a portion of something that was still walking around.  Kinda reminds me of the joke about amputating a pig's back leg so they could have some ham, "That's too good a hog to eat all at once." 

I would usually have somebody working for me who would say, "Hey, save them for me."
Yea a mans gotta draw the line somewhere.lol

WDH

We raised hogs as I was growing up.  There are certain practices and treatments that are required to make the young boars into shoats.  After all that, I never wanted any boar-to-shoat resources :-\.  I guess with frogs, you don't have that opportunity :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Well, let's at least put a frog picture in here. ;D

leopard frog from the woodlot
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

Dan,  your pool cover will soon be full of tadpoles.

Frogs don't like chlorine much and they often end up in the skimmer.

Thurlow I agree with you wholeheartedly about former bull calf parts.
Met a guy from Panama, said he loved them. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!