iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old muffler stuck

Started by ljmathias, May 29, 2007, 02:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

Maybe you all have some advice might help- I'm a pretty good mechanic most of the time but this one's got me stumped and I've just about had it. Muffler on my '86 G16 is rusted gone and the noise is about to drive me (and my neighbors over the hill) crazy- ear protection helps but this is getting old!  Muffler was tied in through a shallow elbow which makes it hard- can't just bust that loose cause I could only turn about 1/3 turn before it bangs into the engine.  Can't break the stub loose with anything I've tried so far- breaker bar plus liquid wrench; don't have a torch yet but do have a welder.  My two options are weld on a new muffler (son's suggestion- "it's goin' die soon anyway") or buy a replacement engine (same argument).  Only had 400 hours on the mill when I got it but it sat outside almost its entire life- rough on steel and iron.

Any ideas for a simple fix?

Thanks guys- great forum and my best form of online entertainment nowadays.  Much more fun cutting posts, beams and lumber and building stuff!

Lon
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

dovetails

can you hacksaw it off, and use muffler adaptor to match size with another one?
or tack weld one to it?
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

beenthere

I have a Kohler 8hp engine from a 1964 JD, that had a replacement block put in about 1968. The 1" muffler pipe was not moved since '68. I just had the engine rebuilt (new block) and the mechanic said he wouldn't mess with changing the old muffler over, but that it was still good and original for the restoration. So a dilema.

I put Rust Reaper on it two days in a row, put the pipe wrench on it and turned it out. Amazingly simple, from what I expected.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ljmathias

Thanks, guys:
Dovetails: that was my original thought if I can find an adapter and muffler to fit.

Beenthere: rust reaper?  never seen it before- Lowes/Home Depot or special order?  Would be handy for lots of the stuff we all have to do with aging iron- stuff rusts, imagine that!  and worse, gets stuck.

Thanks again.

Lon
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Tom

Special order for now.

He's a sponsor!

Click on his logo in Forest Education.   He helps to support that topic.

olyman

if its a single cyl gas engine---with a pipe thread muffler--normally when the muffler rusts off---cut the piece of the pipe left flush with the block----then--take a GOOD cold chisel---and beat that piece of the pipe in from one side--so it collapses looking like a u--then hit in on one side of the u--collapsing it further--then unscrew--done this many times--when get out--clean the threads---and before you screw the new muffler in--antisieze on the threads---cause most mufflers come with a lock ring---and the next time--it will come out--- ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!