iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

50/50 Cutting

Started by Firebass, May 25, 2007, 12:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

I have been working on this tree for a week or so now and its getting heavier and heavier.   The but end is 40" inchs.  I think it will be a good day of cutting on this piece.  We're cutting the butt end to 8' just so we can get it on the trailer.  I'm finding that my swing mill with it's large capacity is a asset for such large trees.   I've learned that peaveys dont even budge these ones.  This one's been standing dead for 2 years when they fell it, it fractured it pretty bad but I think I can still find some solid stuff in it 8) 8) My poor trailer :-[

kderby

What is that beast?  Pine or fir? ??? ???

Oh and rub it in that a forty inch log doesn't phase you.  Us "little" bandsaw guys can only dream.  Then we get out the chain saw and start ripping >:( >:( harumph!

Keep up the pictures.

KD 8) 8) 8) 8)

379hammerdown

thats one big log! How'd you get it up there? Love to see pics of your loading method

Part_Timer

Just wondering how come you didn't saw it where it was?   It looks like there should be a lot of good lumber in it for you.

Look into a Logrite mega hook for those large logs. 

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Don K

Looks like a red oak from here. Am I right? Those big loads will definitely raised your attention to detail level when moving them around.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DWM II

That sure is a mighty fine log, looks like red oak to me too. I have been passing on some big ones like that, makes me wish I had a swinger at times. Have fun sawing that big fella. ;)
Stewardship Counts!

Firebass

Quote from: 379hammerdown on May 25, 2007, 06:32:37 AM
thats one big log! How'd you get it up there? Love to see pics of your loading method

Its Douglas Fir

We used a John deere JD 310 the Loader or the backhoe wouldnt lift it all at one time we ended up lifting one end with the hoe. then I backed the trailer under it then lifted the other and pushed it on.  I think it would have been easier if I would have parbuckled it on.  (I hope I spelled that right).  Thats how I got it off.  My trailer is 14' long and 8' 6" wide.  This log kinda dwarfs it .  I got some really funny looks on the way home.

I'll Post the big one next week. :)

Steve

metalspinner

QuoteI got some really funny looks on the way home.

Where a hat and sunglasses.  That way no one will recognize ya. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom Sawyer

I'd put a 40 incher on my LT40 Super, but not any bigger.  Nice looking log :)

Modat22

Bring it to my house, I can cut up to 50 inches on my DIY mill but I ain't got no way to load it on the deck LOL
remember man that thy are dust.

Gilman

you cutting this on shares then Steve?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Firebass

Quote from: Gilman on May 25, 2007, 02:14:53 PM
you cutting this on shares then Steve?

Yes,   My buddies and neighbors are starting to realize the fact that I have a sawmill :-\,  I suppose the 50/50 thing only will be favorable until I have wood laying in every flat spot I have ::) But this is fir is going to be the tongue and groove decking on my cabin roof.    We went up this weekend and tried to get some work done but generator quit so we ended up just relaxing for the holiday.   It was really kinda nice to stop and have a real weekend off.    I did manage to bring back a load of really nice pine logs though,  so it wasn't a totally none productive weekend. 

Steve

TexasTimbers

I have turned down all share-cutting offers, but I might go along on that one provided the log was dropped off at my mill. Nice log.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Firebass

I cut this log yesterday and ended up getting 800 BF from it ;D
I think I'm going to limit my 50/50 cutting to close friends and family.   I sure am enjoying  the new mill.  And one more time, Thanks for all the help and education from all of you at the forestry forum.  Although I have alot to learn, I think I'm starting to get it... 

Firebass

WDH

What kind of logs in those pics, Firebass?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Firebass

Quote from: WDH on June 04, 2007, 10:46:01 PM
What kind of logs in those pics, Firebass?
Old Growth Douglas Fir.  It Died for some unknown reason I tried to count the rings it was somewhere around 175 years old.  Maybe just old age?  Around here they get up to about 75 years then the growth rings start to get very very close together.  Seems they dont grow near as fast then.   At least thats my observation.

solodan

Quote from: Part_Timer on May 25, 2007, 06:40:28 AM

Look into a Logrite mega hook for those large logs. 

Yeah, two of them on a 16'- 40" log should be no problem.

You could have parbuckled that log onto the trailer. I think that 40" is the perfect size log for a swinger.

Thank You Sponsors!