iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally' a day to make some dust.

Started by lmbeachy, June 04, 2007, 02:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbeachy

Our school had a festival Saturday and I was able to demo my home made mill. Here are some pics of the days activities.

Here I am ready to go.

Beginning to cut

A close inspection of the mill.

More cutting and a blue stained cant.

Then end of the day ready to go home and stack lumber away.
hotfoot

Tom

The world needs more folks that will take the time to introduce sawmilling and other trades to our youth.  How else will they find out that lumber comes from trees and steaks from steers?

It makes them think and not just accept what they are being told when someone says to them, "we shouldn't be cutting down trees".

Good Show!

thecfarm

I would of enjoyed seeing that saw.Is this sawmill something you invented or copied from another one or two?Good for you to take the time out to help out the festival.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lmbeachy

I kinda copy the logosol mill, it looked like the easy one to pattern after.
hotfoot

Chris Burchfield

Thanks Imbeachy for taking the time to show our youth one example of a mill. I'm a bit pessimistic about the future's work force. Not everything can be done by computers. It is the manual labor that machines can't do that concern's me. Framing a house, laying brick and morter, electrical and mechanical equipment installation. I see more and more hispanic folks on construction sites here in Memphis. Dang the polititians but, they are a hard working people that do good work legal or not, looking out for their families. Break time and lunch they use for the same. Like Elvis, once he made it good he took care of his mom and dad. I see these people doing the same. A slant on Arky's view of life is seeing a kid finding it more easy to work in air conditioning, talking on his cell phone in the Mart Box Store, than out on a construction site, in the heat. I'm 49 yoa, I'll retire from the fire department at the end of April 08 being 50. I intend to start my sawmill career, currently out of shape, smoke and drink too much I know. Out from under that pressure, I intend to drop those two bad habits I use as a crutch(?). When I can I will do just what you did by providing a demonstration(s) to high school kids of another way to make a living. Thanks again, Chris.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

LedlieLogs

Good on ya Imbeachy. The only way the kids will learn is if we show them. I own a Logosol and like it. I would like it better if I had built it myself. I keep my mill at the camp I run for kids. A volunteer gig. I have a real job as well so I don't get the time at the camp like I want.
I love it when the kids take an intrest in the mill. I have a few teenagers and there dads coming out in a few weeks to mill out wood for younger kids to make some Bluebird boxes.
We put them up around the camp and have a great Bluebird population. The old folks and the young folks alike take great pride in birds nesting in the box that they build.
Good job my friend,
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Thank You Sponsors!