iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Desperatly need rain

Started by fuzzybear, May 24, 2007, 11:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

Well it's not even June and we have fire ban in effect now.   VERY mild winter with no snow.  This is supposed to be our rainy season and no rain to speak off.   Forestry has every helicopter reserved for fire watch.
  If we get no rain soon, with all these would be bushman lighting camp fires and leaving them unattended, it's going to be a rough year.
   Three years ago we lost about 10% of our accesable  timber to fires, and the season started out wet.  The bush is as dry as I have ever seen it.   
   Any one else having super dry conditions?   Any one want to trade lots of sunlight for about 4 days of rain? ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

OneWithWood

This is the earliest I have left dust trails in my woods.  We could use a good soaking rain.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

okie

Y'all come on down to Oklahoma and get some to take home with you. It's been raining cats n dogs for about four hours now and is supposed to keep on till tuesday.
We just came off of a two week rain spell, everything flooded, the river was about 8' out of its banks and the lake was 12' above normal, that was only a week ago so I imagine it will all flood again before this front blows through.
The last 2 years were our drought years, last year being the worst. If I aint mistaken we only got 3'' all year where I live, it was a bad deal with wildfires all over. Seems like one extreme or the other here.
I truely hope y'all get all the rain you need, everything suffers without it.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Tom

We are having some rather hefty winds and finally got some rain yesterday.  The weather service called it a "Trace".  I couldn't measure it here at the house, but it did leave the ground damp just before dark.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

We passed the desperate stage a while back.  Been on a total burn ban for several weeks now, and they don't want you to even light a bbq grill.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

We are not in any desperate need here, but in northern MN and WI there are fire bans, you can't even light your grill outside. However yesterday some areas got up to 3 inches along with some very strong winds. On the news they showed one lady that her car was hit with a construction trailer, with two guys still in the trailer. Neither guy was hurt, but they had to go back to the construction site to get an excavator to remove the trailer off her car so she could get out.   :o

But like the old farmers saying, be careful what you pray for because you may get it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

It's bad enough here that one of my neighbors had his well dry up and there are a few more, with the same depth wells, that are drawing sand.  These are rock wells at about 90 feet.  What I understand happens is that they cave in and plug the end of the pipe. 

Don K

It is so dry here I turned on my waterhose and it sneezed and blew out dust.  Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

OneWithWood

Quote from: Gary_C on May 24, 2007, 02:36:33 PM
But like the old farmers saying, be careful what you pray for because you may get it.

Let me define 'a good soaking rain'.   

a drizzle that lasts for a some hours thouroughly soaking the ground but never causing the run off of a hard rain.   
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

Yep! You didn't have to qualify that to me.  We are very familiar with a "gully washer".  :D  I'll not be prayin' for one of them real soon, less the man will control it to a couple of days.  It might help put out the fires. I do wish it would rain though.  Not so much for me 'cause I've seen it, but for my sons. 

Ianab

We an send ya some.     :D

Had a bit of a shower on Wednesday, auto rain gauges up on the side of the Mt registered about 3" in an hour  :o

No serious damage, although some guys BMW got washed out of his driveway and out to sea. Little stream down in my back garden went from it's usual 4' deep to  about 4 ft. Luckily the bridge is about 5' up ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Norm

Well I guess we've been getting what others have not. It's been a very wet spring with crop planting being behind the average. We have a bottom field that flooded twice after being planted, finally gave up disced it up and replanted.

Dodgy Loner

South Georgia and north Florida have been on fire for a month, now.  The rest of Georgia is parched, but not in flames quite yet.  I'd like to order a big helping of that Oklahoma rain.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

I'll take half of it!    :D

WDH

Georgia is blistered :-[.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Fla._Deadheader

Today, it started raining REAL hard. Probably over 2 inches. Then, and still, it's a steady hard rain, so you can barely hear over the sound of rain on the tin roof . Probably got 3.5 inches. so far. MOST days are like this from now on.  ::) ;D

Y'll come down and get all ya need.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Guess I better leave my raincoat home. ::)
As long as I bring it with me it don't rain.
Forget it just once and it'll pour. >:(
Haven't forgotten it in several weeks. ::) :-\
They look at me funny at work when I get out of the truck at the end of the day with a raincoat in my hands.
All the while the dust is swirling around us so bad we can barely see each other. ::)

Tony

We're 12" below normal with no relief in sight >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Tony
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Don_Papenburg

It is so dry here all the rain that sneeks over the river from IOwa  evaporates before it touches the ground .  We need a little rain.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

thecfarm

We had a lot of flooding during the spring runoff.Than it stopped and we was in a fire ban for a few days.The rivers and streams were still high.Than the rain came back.Rivers and streams came back up again.Nothing as bad as what it was,but still high.Been another wet cold spring here.Been in the 80's for the last couple days.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

estiers

Got flooding here, and more rain in the forecast...
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

swampy

It has been so dry here the fish at the local pond came knocking at the front door tonite wanting a glass of water ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

WDH

Yup, that is dry.............
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

oakiemac

We had more rain earlier this spring then I have ever seen. I have areas flooded that have been dry since we moved here 9 years ago. This past week we have had high temps in the eightys and things are drying out some.

Feel for all of you with dry weather. I hate when everything gets all dried up like that.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!