iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Discretion - The Better Part of Valor

Started by WDH, May 23, 2007, 09:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Lets say you had to develop management prescriptions for a 2300 acre block of timberland (that is a big tract - lots of walking in the rain and mud).  What would you do?

Would you give it a try with the truck ???.

We did ::).

Sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men...............

Does it ever stop raining in East Texas?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

So, did you get a runnin' start at it, or did you just ease it in there? :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

stonebroke

WDH

Pretty good running start, but the silt had collected in previous vehicle encounters and we hit the bottom with a sickening "plop".   About a thousand miles from no-where ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

If that was James Bonds' truck he would get a runnin' start at it then at just the last second, the runnin' boards would drop down like ski's and he would slide across the top of it unscathed. :D

Dan_Shade

every time I've been stuck, my winch has been pointing the wrong direction ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pineywoods

>>> does it ever stop raining in east Texas ?
You need to look at it from a different perspective... I know those texicans won't admit it, but the eastern 100 miles or so of Texas (also known as the big thicket) is actually part of Loosiana where you expect rain, mud, chiggers, ticks etc. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Now there's a learning experience. ;D ;D we can all learn from......... ::)

(i'd a tried it too  ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

Two of my uncles........both been dead a long time........riding in one  ofum' s "A" model.  Nearly all the county roads were dirt...........or mud depending on conditions.  Pulled up to a particularly bad mud hole;  driver asks his younger brother, "Can we get through that?"  "Can if you don't stop".  Bogged down right out in the middle........mud knee deep.  "Thought you said I could get through this".  "Said you could if you didn't stop.  You stopped."
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

TexasTimbers

Quote from: pineywoods on May 23, 2007, 09:50:01 PM
... I know those texicans won't admit it, but the eastern 100 miles or so of Texas (also known as the big thicket) is actually part of Loosiana where you expect rain, mud, chiggers, ticks etc. ;D

Watchit feller or else we'll give you back to France.  :o  ;D

WDH you prolly know this by now but it's alot easier to walk 2300 acres than to push a 3 or 4 ton truck around on it.  :D :) ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

WDH

Kevin, 

You are DanG right :D.  Once we got out, we had to turn around and go back thru the same way.  It caused our sleepers to bolster in our bunks ;D.  And just think.....I get to do it all again tomorrow ;).

Texas Ranger

I think I addressed this at one point, either over branch water, or food, but, that stuff over there is SLICK, DEEP, and we got another inch of rain today.  Aerial photo time to delineate stand lines, wet lands (whole DanG tract if its like what we just marked) and escape routes with access to wreckers.

WELCOME TO TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

You did address it, complete with branch water, but I am a slow learner ::).

Gary_C

The only difference between a 2 wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive pickup is you can get stuck further from the main road with a 4 wheel drive.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

LeeB

It ain't that the 100 or so miles is really part of Loosianer, it's just that so many coonasses really wanta be Texans :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JimBuis

Quote from: LeeB on May 24, 2007, 01:22:02 AM
It ain't that the 100 or so miles is really part of Loosianer, it's just that so many coonasses really wanta be Texans :D :D

Translation for the rest of the world, a colorful term referring to a Cajun. Even more translation, Cajun: a member of a group of people with an enduring cultural tradition whose French Catholic ancestors established permanent communities in Louisiana and Maine after being expelled from Acadia in the late 18th century.

Just in case you wanted to know,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Dan_Shade

too add to what gary said, the same applies to tire chains on a 4wd, they take you from a little bit stuck to a whole lot stuck  :D

ever notice how funny being stuck is after you get yourself unstuck
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tcsmpsi

It does stop raining for short periods, from time to time.

Though, it has been raining a lot lately.  Under such circumstances, you never drive on any ground around here, unless you have a substantial root base (or, some built up roadways).

Indeed, welcome to East Texas.   ;)  :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

metalspinner

QuoteI know those texicans won't admit it, but the eastern 100 miles or so of Texas (also known as the big thicket) is actually part of Loosiana

I always figured that anything north of I-10 to be Arkansas.  When the dirt stars turning that funny red color your no longer in Cajun Country. :D

QuoteTranslation for the rest of the world, a colorful term referring to a Cajun. Even more translation, Cajun: a member of a group of people with an enduring cultural tradition whose French Catholic ancestors established permanent communities in Louisiana and Maine after being expelled from Acadia in the late 18th century.

I didn't know I was so sophisticated.
;D

limbrat

Dont forget the Spanish,German,Creloe,Nepolonic French,Irish,Italian,Black,Indian,Asian and American infueances. If you serve it on rice it makes a fine meal with crout and cornbread on the side and powered bengais and coffee for dessert.
ben

LeeB

The thing I miss most about not working out of Louisiana any more is food. I have'nt found any mud bugs in northern Arkansas yet. I think I could eat a sack of by myself right now.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

metalspinner

Mom's driving up here this weekend.  Little does she know, but a cleaned the freezer for her to fill it up. :D  She is bringing an ice chest of nice big shrimp.

Texas Ranger

don't care what ya call em, them down home folks are down right good folks, and boy, can they cook!!!!  That is, cook anything that don't eat them first. 8)  One good batch of mudbug etouffee, some hush puppies, maybe some sac-oh-ley coubion (that's all phonetic, cant spell that coony stuff, but that's a fish soup with white perch) and some cold Texas barley mix and you got a meal. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

metalspinner

TR,
You're killin' me with all that food talk.  Mmmm Mmm.  Can't wait for some goood cookin'.

WDH

Leweee,

Do they come with the blonde ???

WDH

All TR cares about is food.......well, maybe some branch water too......I bought him lunch today and he was right sociable company (probably because of that big ole Texas hamburger he was chomping on ::)).

WDH

Me and Tcsmpsi went to look at a block close to his homeplace today.  I pulled off the county road toward the gate to the tract and was almost stuck :).  Our discretion overrode our valor, so we walked ;D.  Have I ever told y'all about how bad the deer flies are in Texas ??? :o.

Quartlow

The problem is your driving the wrong vehicle. If you look real close at the front they circled the problem  :D  :D
you need one of these bad boys

Unimog

now thats a truck made for off roading.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

WDH

Yes :D.  And, we could haul out the "slapped dead" deer fly carcasses with us (there was at least a truckload) :).

Tom

I was told that a straw hat would keep them from bothering you so bad.  They come to the heat of your body rising over your head but are too stupid to fly under the brim because they can't see you.  :D

I've tried it and it seems to work. But, it might also be that I'm too ugly for them too.   Don't you hate it when one is biting you through two shirts right between your shoulder blades.  And then your fingers start to itch and you look down to find that each on has a yellow fly on its knuckle that has already been there awhile.

WDH

Larry

I to have met the mud of east Texas. 

Mile off road on a lease.   Caught a herd of hogs in a trap so I tell B-I-L I'll walk back and get the truck while you start dressing hogs.  About time I get back to B-I-L the hubs go out on the front.  We call for a tow truck...he gets stuck and has to winch himself along few feet at a time.  Did you know yapon trees are not very good to tie your winch line around?  $400, 8 hours, and a missed school program and were unstuck.

That hog was the best I've ever had...and the most expensive.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

You mean you missed the school program :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(.  Getting stuck is such a poor excuse ;D.

What is that red object in the foreground?

Gary_C

Haven't you heard about deerfly patches?

Tred-Not Deerfly Patches

As one old DNR Forester described them to me, "the best thing about them is you get to watch them squirm!"
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

Gary_C,................ I LOVE IT!  That is what I needed today >:(.

Larry

Quote from: WDH on May 24, 2007, 08:55:20 PM
You mean you missed the school program :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(.  Getting stuck is such a poor excuse ;D.

What is that red object in the foreground?

Missing the school program was really bad...I've caught a lot of flake over that. :-[ :'(

The red object is my bottle jack...our first thoughts were to jack up the back end of the truck and put down boards we tore off our deer stand to get out.  We ran out of boards and only advanced the truck about 10 feet. ???

B-I-L also got a scratch from the winch line and ended up with blood poisoning...I don't remember how much that cost...but good pork is really expensive.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

customsawyer

About all I can say about this subject is please bring that rain with you on your way home.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tom

I was guessing that the red thing was your hat. :D

I stepped off in a pond like that one time and floated mine too.

tcsmpsi

You know those deerflies are just part of the local color, WDH.  They can't help what they are.  Besides, they don't eat much.   :D

Larry, the Yaupons are for building mats.  Not tying on to.   ;)

Here is the county road Danny is speaking of, where we pulled off.

Nettles Cemetery Rd
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

DanG

I thought you people out there in Texas had horses. ??? ::)

;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tcsmpsi

Unfortunately, we too, have had to pinch salt and depend more on horsepower, rather than horses.

However, this notable liquid fuel increase to feed that horsepower, might bring about a bit of a change in that perspective. 

I sold my last horse, Crow, several years ago.   :(

DanG

Well, I said that in jest, not being able to resist taking a potshot at such an easy target.  But now that I think about it, it seems that a good horse would be an asset to a Forester in that kind of situation.  Sure would beat walking!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tcsmpsi

I think a good mule would be optimum.   ;)

But then, I would rather walk.  Who knows?...one might come across a patch big enough to get lost in, and big enough for others not to find him one day.    ;D

thurlow

When's the last time you's on a mule?  I know Festus rode one and one of my neighbors used to have one that would pace (or single-foot;  it's been a long time ago).  Used to ride one home from the field when I'se a kid;  neighbor about my age fell off and got tangled up in the harness/hame strings/trace chains and was drug to death.  That (my Mama) put a stop to my mule-riding.  smiley_horserider

Texas Ranger

DanG, man, mules now adays got four tires and a roof! 8) 8) 8) 8)

thurlow

You're right;  what was I a-thanking?  :)

tcsmpsi

thurlow

Actually, it's been a pretty good, long while since I've ridden a mule. 

A while back, younger and prone to such things, a couple nights I roped off a friends mule, just for the fun of it. 

Seems I can remember something about dodging the hooves on one, though. 

:D

Texas Ranger

WDH talks about my love of food, well, folks, that shoe fits both feet.  Now I wont tell all, but you have to see the man wrap his self around a steak, or like the other day, a batch of meat loaf and beans.  But I appreciate the meal, and your welcome back, Miss Sue says next time give us some warning and we will bar-b-que the goat for ya.    8)

WDH

In my training to become a Forum member, Forestry Forum 101, the book said that all threads eventually turn to food ::).

By the way, the meatloaf was excellent :).

ScottAR

LeeB, You must come east for mudbugs...  Some locals started "farming" them.
Folks tell me they're pretty good.  I'll stick with Catfish. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

LeeB

Thank You Sponsors!