iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln : On Wheels??

Started by Captain, March 21, 2003, 05:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

I am about to begin buliding a solar kiln here at the Stable.  I do plan to have perhaps a total of 3 in the near future, varying in size, to dry various custom orders and stagger loads.

My dilema is this.  Our property is still in development, and there is still land to be cleared.   ::)  The most opportune locations for the kilns now are not in an asthetically pleasing area (close to the house).  As more land is cleared, I would like to have the capability of moving the operations more toward the barn....without too much trouble.  Also the idea of moving them from view when offline is attractive.

Has anyone any ideas for an inexpensive way to make a solar kiln moveable (yet stable) around the property?  I have thought of haywagons (too big?) Or even temporary means of moving the kilns placed underneath by lifting with the tractor??  Build them on "skids"?? ???

Any ideas are appreciated!!

Getting more serious about the sawmill biz by the day, but I'm no Joey Lowe yet... ;)
Captain

whitepe

Welcome to the Forum Captain!

I'd vote for the kiln on skids.  Several years ago I had
a 12 by 16 foot wooden storage building on skids
that I moved when I put in my 24 by 36 foot building.
I easily moved it with a small tractor. I only had to move it
about 50 feet but I easily could have moved it much
farther. After moving it, I was glad that I had beveled
the ends of the 4 X 4's it was built on.   :)

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Dave_Fullmer

My son in Michigan has a small solar kiln built on a long trailer .  It's about 16 ft long, has a frame work on both ends with 2x6's length ways on the top  and then covered with clear plastic.  On one end he has a fan blower about 20" across.  This thing worked really well drying the oak and cherry he got from the sawmill he works at.  He planed and routed the edgies and used the lumber for all the trimwork in his new home.  So far the lumber he has used is what wouldn't pass for grade at the mill and was free.  I guess one of the perks.  He had a whole load in the mill, about 44 x44 stickered left over that he gave to me.  It took me 3 trips to Mich to get it all home.  (Normal visits on holidays, etc.)  I have been able to use it very nicely for projects my wife and I have been working on.

The kiln works out nicely for him although it might be a little small for most of us
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

Mark M

Dave can you get us a picture of that mobile kiln?

Weekend_Sawyer

One of my brothers, I have 4, bought a 12' x 45' prefab storage "barn". When they delivered it his house was not finished and he had them drop it about 200' from where it is now. After his house was done we used 4" PVC pipe as rollers and a Case 580E and rolled it right into it's intended final resting place.

... with almost no damage... none that you can see from my house...
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!