iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Common sense in a Corporate/Government project?

Started by DanG, May 23, 2007, 04:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Whoever heard of such a thing! :o  Well, it seems to have happened.  They are about to build a large, coal-fired power plant not too far from here.  It will be next to the paper mill at Perry, Fl.  The City of Tallahassee has bought a 20% interest in the project to supplement their own 2 power plants, their hydro-dam, and some other partnerships they have.  Well, lo and behold, they're gonna use the waste water from the paper mill to generate the steam for the powerplant!!  That waste water has been an environmental thorn in the side for as long as I can remember.  They will not only solve that pollution problem, but won't have to pump ground water, either! 8) 8)

Of course, it didn't take long for that little wave of common sense to subside.  The 5 member Board of Directors, on which Tallahassee has one seat, voted 4-1 to go ahead and pay the paper mill in advance for the water, even though the EPA hasn't even approved the power plant.  The Tallahassee guy was the only no vote.  So much for the Govt being the stoopid ones, eh? :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Slabs

About 30 yeaars ago I quit calling it government and began to use the term bureaucracy.  It has earned the name and is entitled to be referred to as such.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Yep, there is hope.  The City has another major pollution problem on their hands right now.  They are piping the treated effluent from the sewage plant to some large spray fields south of town and over-irrigating some grass crops with it.  The excess nutrients are leaching into the ground water and causing some major damage to a couple of pristine rivers, as well as Wakulla Springs.  This has me wondering if they could pipe some of that treated water to their other power plants instead of the spray field.  Again, they could save a lot of ground water that way, too.  I'm sure they would end up with a bunch of residue that could be sold to grow bio-fuel crops, to boot.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!