iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl String Trimmer--Strange Idle?

Started by GaTrapper, February 27, 2022, 08:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

Broke out my Stihl FS 131R this weekend to clean up some brush along my creek and blueberries. Put in a new fuel filter, air filter, and spark plug recently.  

Idle sounded funky, what do y'all think? I noticed that it started doing it last summer and it's still an issue.

Magicman

Take the carburetor off, take it completely apart, and give it a good cleaning with Carburetor Cleaner.  You may also be able to pop a limiter cap off and make some adjustment.  There should be a YouTube video.

If that doesn't get it you will probably be buying a new carburetor, hopefully not.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

Does it have a spark arrester screen at the muffler output?  If so, take it out, and burn all the gunk off with a propane torch.

SwampDonkey

Yes check out the spark arrester screen.  On 550's and 560's for a while they made them screens too fine. The last 560 I just bought has a more course one that never carbons up like the old ones. Them old ones had to be cleaned so darn much, that most just took them out entirely. I look at the courser ones once a year. And I cut 80 plus acres of brush a year.

Depending on the age of the saw, I would put in a a new carb kit. About $10-15, not much to it. I never had to replace a carburettor in clearing saws with many years of use. Definitely cleaned them and new kits though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GaTrapper

Cleaned the screen out last summer. Really wasn't much there. I may end up pulling the carb off and cleaning it. 

Is there any good info out there on pulling and cleaning the carb on the Stihl string trimmers?

SwampDonkey

Might be able to find a manual at least showing the parts and if lucky a service manual, online. But not always.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom King

The best help I know of for working on carburetors is a white dishpan.  I keep stacks of them in the mechanic shop.  You can find them in any of the dollar stores.

Sometimes all you need to do is take the cover off that has one screw in the middle, and you may even be able to see gunk in the little channels.

Magicman

Google found several YouTube videos detailing the removal and cleaning the carburetor.  Also you have an in-the-tank fuel filter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

If that's a 4Mix engine, the valves are adjustable.  I saw a video, and decided to check the ones on my 20+ year old 110, but they needed no adjustment.  I'm not sure what the symptoms are if they are out of spec.

sawguy21

Loss of power and hard starting would be symptoms of improperly adjusted valves.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GaTrapper

No loss of power. Trimmer runs great. Just has a strange idle. I think I'm going to pull the carb this weekend and clean everything out. 

Thank You Sponsors!