iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More snakes

Started by thurlow, May 22, 2007, 04:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thurlow

My old maid divorced 58 y o sister called me last night;  said there was a snake in her attic.  Her mid-30s daughter lives with her and doesn't work.  Heard it moving around over her bedroom in the afternoon.  Tile.........celotex or whatever..........ceiling put over (under) the original sheetrock.  It's the house we were raised in and she bought it from parent's estate.  We vaguely remember a leak years ago and some of the sheetrock coming down, so I won't know until looking what is really there.  This was an added-on room and the attic crawl space is LOW.  I've caught and removed 2 other (gray rat/chicken) snakes from the hearth area in the last 2 years.  She says she doesn't have mice, so I don't know why they want to come in.  The chimney/fireplace/hearth was an add-on and has apparently moved away from the house a little, leaving a crack allowing them in.  She and my niece are UPSET.   The niece said she could see the tile moving yesterday when she was hearing it.  I'm waiting to hear from them;  suggested the best thing to do may be to pull the tile down if we hear it and deal with the snake in the bedroom.   That means a messed up ceiling.  I plan to at least look in the attic first and try this

It's about 10 ft long and the best I could come up with in a hurry.  It's been suggested that multiple large glue traps would hold the snake.  Ideas?
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Jeff

I'm logging off, and I'm not coming back until somebody tells me that snake is gone.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

The glue traps will work...if you can get the snake to crawl through them.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

thurlow
This should be an interesting problem to solve.  :)

Maybe a trap with a mouse or rat in it will get the snake to come down, or into the trap. Or put the trap where the snake goes out for food, maybe a better idea.

No mice, maybe because the snake is there........??

But will continue to wonder if it is a snake, or something else the women are hearing......not that they ever make things up or jump to conclusions..... ;D

Sure hope the mystery gets solved.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sgtmaconga

Learned this trick off the animinal planet.

your food source is eather rats or birds. we get rat snakes in dads bird room so take the food source be it rat mice or baby bird. tie a 5' fishing line around 15 to 20 lb. test to the bait. the snake will swallow the bait and you can just pull him out the next day. live bait works best.

and please know that no pets were harmed in the use of this trap.
Measure twice cut once

jim king

This might not be for you but here they cover thier arm or leg with blood and put it into where the snake is resting.  When the snake swallows enough arm or leg it cannot let loose so with some help the guy gets pulled out with the snake hanging on and then they can kill the snake.

LeeB

You're absolutely right. Not for me. Snakes don't bother me, but I can't see letting one eat me on purpose.  :o
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

Gives a whole new meaning to the words "Snake Charmer", EH ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dave Shepard

I'd get me some of them sticky moose traps fer sure!  ;) Don't need any stinkin' snakes in my house!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Onthesauk

I had an email float through here yesterday, even tried to figure out how to get it on site somehow, just for Jeff's benefit.  Some gal had a snake crawl into her computer and fried itself, apparently trying to get warm.  Whole series of pictures, all wrapped around the components.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

LedlieLogs

thurlow I think you are pretty good with your rig there. I used a broom stick with a plastic top rigged like yours, worked liked a charm. Get up in that attic and take a gander, keep a sharp eye. You know what happens when you tear into the ceiling/roof system in old houses. You and your sister might get to spend a whole bunch of time together. ;D
Good luck,
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Kcwoodbutcher

Had a black snake do that in my breaker box. Got in there pretty good before he hit the mains and fried himself. Only reason I knew he was there was the stink it made. Cleaned out what I could but parts of him are still in there.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

maple flats

I'd sell the house, I hate snakes! One of my some however has 3 pet snakes, some type of constrictor, but they are not in the house i live in.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Faron

Thurlow, are you sure that there pole is long enough? :D   You know, if you catch him that way, that snake might make an interesting show and tell item at the pig roast.  ;)  He'd be kind of a celebrety. Just box him up and feed him for a few months.

Had a little blacksnake try to convince me he was a rattler today.  I grabbed for his tail as he was going into the honeysuckle, and he took exception to that.  He coiled up and vibrated his tail against the leaves to make a buzzing sound.  I have seen them do that before.  I wonder if they somehow know about rattlesnakes, or does that just happen because they are nervous?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

pineywoods

[quote author=FaroMight be a little of bothn
Had a little blacksnake try to convince me he was a rattler today.  I grabbed for his tail as he was going into the honeysuckle, and he took exception to that.  He coiled up and vibrated his tail against the leaves to make a buzzing sound.  I have seen them do that before.  I wonder if they somehow know about rattlesnakes, or does that just happen because they are nervous?

Might be a little of both..There's a variety of mud snake here that has a very blunt tail. folklore has it, there is a poisonous stinger at the end. They will pop theend of the tail against anything that comes close. One tale says a farmer tackled one with a hoe. The snake popped the hoe handle with his stinger and the handled swelled up to 4" dia..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

I don't know if black snake know about rattlers, but I do know that around here the saying is that if you have black snake, you don't have rattlers.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Larry

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 24, 2007, 07:07:21 PM
I don't know if black snake know about rattlers, but I do know that around here the saying is that if you have black snake, you don't have rattlers.
Dave

Not true. ;)

Rattler blood really pops the grain on fine walnut. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tim L

Burn the house down and move !!! I HATE SNAKES !!!
Do the best you can and don't look back

WDH

That rattler's head looks a little catywhompus............ ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thurlow

Well, a little bit of an update.  Went down Thursday and climbed up into the attic.  The roof is about a 3/12 pitch; can get around on your hands and knees.  No flooring, but sheets of plywood down the center.  I've got a 15 million cp rechargeable flashlight and it lit the place up good;  trust me I looked carefully overhead.  There were 6 or 8 snake skins, so they've had snakes for a while.  No snake, but birds are definitely getting in and nesting, so I assume that's the attraction.  Haven't yet found where they're getting in, but if they climb the chimney to the roof, there is a place under a gable where the back porch was added where they can get in............................

Maybe my sister having snakes is catching;  have finished "boxing" the inside of my new shop, except for the double doors.  Had a piece of weather stripping laying in the frame of one about head high.  Was doing some measuring;  head about 4 inches from the door, when the weather stripping moved. 

Called my wife to come from the house and look at what had climbed up the door.  (There has been some discussion in the family as to whether snakes could climb the outside of a chimney.) 

Pushed open the double doors (he was laying partly on both of them) and he flopped out onto the ground. 

My wife doesn't recognize but one species...........they're all poisonous (rattle-tail cottonmouths).  Had shovel in hand, but intended to let him escape; at least 'til he started back into the shop where Angie was standing.  The scream she let out would wake the dead, so he went to snake purgartory.   ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

Thurlow,

You tried to do the right thing........ ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!