iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our day at Hawby's

Started by johncinquo, March 20, 2003, 12:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

Its is amazing what you can find still in yor camera.  This was last fall, when My buddy Jim and I took a trip down to Hawby's (Ken Hawblitz) house to watch the mill work.   Think I have my compression skills up to par now.

Hey I think I can fix it!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

johncinquo

That seemed to work OK cept that darn cut off word.  Heres another. His log for the demonstartion.

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

johncinquo

Last one.  Heres Ken demonstrating his fine skills as the best saw operator at his house.  

Ken let me run the saw a couple passes, but I forgot to hand the camera to Jim so no pics of me playing.  We have a tenative plan to have him come up to my place and I am gonna show him some of my fine chainsaw skills and put him to work on my trees.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Tom

Good Job!  It's great to see members doing their 'Thang". :)

Mark M

So then John what kinda tree is dat?

Mark

Tom

Fla._Deadheader

I Don't know about that. Bark looks awful smooth. ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Some of our best Northern Red Oak looks like the bark is painted on. Smooth and silver gray. top pic actually looks like red oak, but the bottom looks like aspen...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RMay

It looks debarked to me . Cool pics  8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Mark M

I woulda guessed some kinda popple tree, maybe one of them DanG lombardy popple - man I hate those things. May neighbor has a row of them and all I do is pick up the branches. Can't imagine sawing one so it must be sumptun different.

johncinquo

Well Ken will have to verify exactly what it was, but I think he said beech.  It was not a real hard wood.  He was cutting it up to make gates and general farm fencing and wood stuff.  It was smooth bark and not debarked.  He must be puttin a little  ova time, or his bride is making him get that addition finished for the little hawbina running around.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

hawby

Yes John, the wife got out the "honey-dews!" No actually, I have been very busy working for all the drug users of the world  :o We actually heard today the date that Pfizer thinks they will be taking over. Yippee!

By the way everybody... I owe John a lunch for this post. I got a call today, at work, from another employee. I got a whole day or twos work from it. Thanks John! That helps put food on the table for the little Hawbina.

And yes, that was a Beech log. It is being put to use for gates, picket fences, farm stuff. Tain't worth too much to sell.... except for flooring. Got some of that to do too. Bidness is picking up!

Have a great weekend.... I'll be making drugs!

Hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Thank You Sponsors!