iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with hinges

Started by brdmkr, May 17, 2007, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I am getting ready to hang the doors on my bay door fo the shop 8).  I really don't know what these doors weigh, but they are heavy.  I figure 200 lbs or so, but that is just a guess.

I have 8" 'T' hinges that were given to me.  They are new and appear to be realatively heavy duty, but I am having second thoughts  ???.  How would you guys hang one of these these doors?

There are 2 of them and they will meet up to form a diamond shape.  I would really prefer a hinged door as I think I can make them seal up better.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Those T hinges otter work ok if ya put 3 of'em on each door.  I'd anchor them well, though.  Bolts would be best, but nice, long lag screws otter work ok.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

Nice doors, I am building a set somewhat like those ,one will be 40"wide , the other18" . These will have " T " hinges also . Bolted through the doors andlagued into the wall .

So , did you put yours together ....  and if so , how did you go about it .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

brdmkr

Thanks for the opinions on the hinges.  I think I will go with bolts for the install.  I really don't want them tearing the wall out :o

I put the doors together myself.  Every board is 3/4 x 6 SYP.  The edges are 3 layers thick as is the middle cross.  The 'panel' is ship lapped with one nail  in each end to allow the boards to expand.  Every other panel board has one screw in the center of the front diagonal.  There is also a diagonal on the back.  Boards that were not screwed to the fron diagonal were screwed to the back diagonal.  This pulled everything together really tight.  Also, all of the edge pieces and the cross piece are glued and screwed for strength.  They seem to be pretty stout doors.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

thurlow

We started our shops at near-a-bout the same time;  I still gotta put on a front porch and lack about 2 days boxing the inside.  I looked at strap hinges at the big box stores, but they had too much "slop" in them to suit me.  When I had cattle and numerous corrals, I built my own hinges by the dozens......3/4 inch cold-rolled rod, 3/4 inch black pipe and 3 (or 4) inch by 1/4 inch flat metal.  I found 4 in my scrap pile and used them.......will have to build 2 more to have 3 per door.  My doors are heavy, also.  I used 4 inch (or 6 inch depending on where) lag screws to hang 'em.  Gotta put some more screws in;  didn't realize I only had 4 per hinge 'til I was taking the pictures.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

DanG

Thurlow, ya been sandbaggin' us!  I didn't even know you was building anything.  Nice lookin' building! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thurlow

DanG.........I've got a modicum of woodworking tools, but they're scattered over Hade's half-acre.  Still got my farm shop, but it's a mile down the road and not set up for woodworking.  Always said when I retired, I was gonna build me a shop here at home.  It's only 24 by 30, but will have to do.  Studs and rafters are big-box store; everything else is homegrown/homesawn yellow popular.  Been working on it almost a year..........by myself.......in between everything else    retirees gotta do.

DanG

Oh yeah.  I remember seeing them pics now.  I guess my brain retired before the rest of me, eh? :D :D

How 'bout emailing me a plate of them ribs? ;D

brdmkr

Thurlow,

I like your hinges.  They may work a little better that what I have.  I may have to see if I have the skills to weld some up.

Your shop is looking good!  You are a little farther along than me.  It has taken me about a year as well.

Fla._Deadheader

When I had the farm in Ark. I found the best way for me to hang heavy doors, was them lag type gate hinges. One pointin up, one pointin down. Plenty stout and mostly burglar proof. You can always adjust 'em a little, to line the door up with the frame.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

isawlogs

I make mine some what like Thurlows ,  once done hanging I weld a washer on the top shaft ... and a tack on the lague , that is when I dont have a carriage bolt in dere ... still gets a little weld to um . Keeps dem light figured little Dangs out ....  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

rebocardo

On heavy doors I use four hinges. What I do is put put all the hinges on the jamb side in, then position the door where I want it. Bolt the top and bottom hinge on, swing it open (hold it up) and close. If nothing binds, close it, bolt the other two hinges on.

If I have access to the backside of the jamb (like a barn or shed or I have removed the trim) I bolt the jamb side too. You can use a pan head type threaded screw and counter sink the steel with a larger metal bit.

The reason for doing this is to prevent thieves from crow barring the hinge from the jamb since even 3" deck screws can be pulled out with a big enough bar, but, bolts with washers can not. The have to break the (2) 2x4s.

WDH

Nice work Thurlow, even with a crooked slab ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I was so sure it was done purposely I never mentioned none of it . Knowing how long it could take to get the building up and covered , I figured he did not want any water to stay on da slab ....  Call that good enginarin  :P  Yes sir ......

Marcel

thurlow

Quote from: WDH on May 18, 2007, 04:31:14 PM
a crooked slab ;D.

I can't tell if you're gigging me about my pictcher-taking or my concrete-pouring.  ;D  Probably my camera was whompy-jawed.   :)   I guess I lied when I said I did it all myself.  Hired the slab formed up and poured.  I did haul the several yards of dirt to APPROXIMATELY level the site. 

WDH

I hate it when I get a-hold of a whompy-jawed camera :D.  That is a fine shop, Thurlow.  When DanG and I come to visit, you will have to whomp of some of those other slabs, and I don't mean concrete ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

We goin' ta see Thurlow?!  HotDiggityDog!  I'll pick ya up at 5am tomorrow!  YEEHAW!  This is gonna be fun! 8) 8) 8)

isawlogs

Dan,
  Have a nice visite , check out dat camera of his and whomp its jaw to unwomp da jawed in it ....

Marcel

WDH

The shop was nice...........those ribs looked sorta invitin'..........one thing leads to another........

DanG

I ain't whompin' nuttin but some of them ribs!  I'll just let down the jack on that trailer a bit, and the slab will look level, even if it ain't. ;D 8)

WDH

We will have to go by and get Brdmkr too.  That way he can research hinges while we whomp those ribs ;D.

DanG

Yep, I kin pick him up on the way by his place.  He ain't gonna have time for hinges, though.  He gotta whomp us up some bread to go wit dem ribs! ;D

brdmkr

I'll make the bread, but we can stop by my Ma's on the way for a warm-up meal.  My Ma is not too far away if I remember my TN anatomy (she is in Selmer).

Hey Thurlow, I really will be up TN sometime this summer.  How far are you from Selmer?  I'd like to see that shop first-hand!

BTW, I bought some 10" T hinges that have a good bit more beef that the 8 inchers I was given.  They cost about 7 bucks apiece, but I don't want my doors sagging.  I also picked up some 8" long 3/8" lag screws.  I'm hopin to hang thme doors tomorrow 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

thurlow

'Thout looking it up, I think Selmer's about 2 hours from Ripley.  If your Mother's there, I'm sure you know about  Shiloh National Military Park and Cemetery.  Here's another link.  It's the only major Civil War battlefield which I've visited;  it's still very rural/undeveloped;  a truly hallowed, sacred place.  Just down the road is Pickwick Dam, Lake and State Park.   Used to be, you could tour the power house, locks, dam, etc, but the last time I was there, the events of 9/11 had stopped that.  Fort Pillow is about 20 miles from me; it's a State Park and nothing remains of the original except breastworks.  Even the river has moved away.  There is a small museum and some cannon.  The greatest cavalry officer (IMHO) of all time.......actually his troops were more dragoons than cavalry........caught a lot of grief for the battle there. 

brdmkr

Thurlow,

I have spent many an hour at Shiloh and at Pickwick.  Pickwick for the fishing and Shiloh was always good to help me think through things.  I spent a good bit of time at the cabin in the peach orchard.   There was just something about that site that always helped me focus in on the important things.  I could stand a visit there now.

Greg Cook

Thurlow, commercial-type doors are how I make a living, and if you want somethin' that'll last, and your doors work right for a long time. pivots are a good way to go for heavy doors. I've used these on reinforced steel doors that were 12' tall, 6' wide, and 2-1/2" thick. Years later, still only takes one finger to swing it open.
Dorma Pivots

I don't know where you'd pick em up in your part of the state. Message me and I can get ya some more info.
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

brdmkr

Well, I hung one door.  I made a boo boo!  The doors are made of 3 layers of 3/4 SPY.  So, the door is  2 and 1/4" thick.  They have to mount on a 2" thick board.  When the door closes, it hits my slab too early and is held open.  I am going to have to take about 3/8" off the bottom inch or so of each door for them to close up proper.  The door that is already hung will be a pain.  The other, I'll just throw on the sawhorses and take a router to it.  In reality, this will help the doors seal up better on the bottom.  Really, I meant to make them that way.  Yeah, that's the story.  I did it on purpose ;)

WDH

Good engineering brdmkr ;).  The way you did it closes the gap at the bottom and keeps the snakes out :D.

thurlow

Quote from: Greg Cook on May 20, 2007, 07:44:44 AM
pivots are a good way to go for heavy doors.  Message me and I can get ya some more info.

Greg, I appreciate the offer, but I guess I'll use what I've got.  My parents and grandparents were of the "USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO, OR DO WITHOUT" generations and I am well schooled in the concept.  For much of the rural South, the Reconstruction which began in the 1860s  lasted until WWII and made this lifestyle necessary.  My mother often said that "they" never knew there was a depression................they couldn't tell any difference from the way things had always been.  

DanG

Thanks for the link, Greg.  I'll pass it on to my son-in-law.  He is a locksmith, and has lots of experience with high security stuff.  He is seeking to get away from unlocking car doors for morons and re-keying cheap locks on rental housing.  This looks like something he would be interested in. :)

woodsteach

Greg,
That link and those piviots look great.  I couldn't find pricing or where to get them info. 

I hate the slidding doors on my pole barn and when I lay concrete I plan on redoing the doors and those look like they might work.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!