iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Driving Into Tornados

Started by TexasTimbers, May 17, 2007, 02:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I saw this car on Science Channel or maybe Discovery, but I just got this HowStuffWorks link in my daily Global Spec e-letter and read it. I must not have been paying close attention when I saw the program because until I read this article I didn't know his goal is to chase down a tornado and drive into it, or place himself in the direct path.
I don't care how strong Lexan is I would want 2" not 1/2".

It only weighs 14,000 pounds (mine weighs 10,000 and that's like a tin can in a tornado) but can hit 90MPH. Go Ford!  ;D

I'm fairly flaky but even I wouldn't intentioanlly drive into a tornado.  :o
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Furby

I would! ;D

I was driving through dust devils in IL the other day and another driver claims he was in a small tornado the other day as well.

joelmar10

Is the guy a Lexan salesman?
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

WDH

Some F 5 tornado's even suck up the asphalt.  If you drove into one of those, you would fly out.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alexinoklahoma

Quote from: Furby on May 17, 2007, 08:07:12 PM
I would! ;D

And pictures of folks that do such are always entertaining!  Gives us' scaredy-cats something to chuckle about after the wind calms down.  I see every day a car not far from my house that was lifted into a big (now downed) tree as it flipped a trailer house (a few weeks ago) with an old lady in it.  She had plenty of warning(s), but chose not to do anything.  Darwinism in action  ;)

Alex

pineywoods

You don't want to fool around with a full-blown tornado. I worked a cleanup after one hit north alabama several years ago. 250 gallon propane tank 1/4 mile from any building, and it was full. cotton pickers rolled up in a ball. neighbors ford pickup torn into 3 pieces and strewn across a pasture. 2x6 timber punched completely through a 24 inch maple tree. One neighbor and his wife crawlled under a D6 dozer parked in their yard. Dozer moved a couple of feet, wasn't even a dirty spot left of their house. Nosir, people who deliberately fool around with tornados must have some kind of death wish...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Furby

It's not a death wish, it's a life wish!
I have no fear of death.
Those that fear death, forget how to live. :)

These things are here for a reason, I want to know that reason! ;D

Dan_Shade

i'll tell you what they are, furby, they're idiot magnets!  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Faron

Almost a year  ago I rode out a direct hit from an F2 twister with a 200 yard wide path.  I have to say it was a unique and exciting experience.  This is the twister that hit our new unfinished sawmill building.  We kind of took cover behind my pickup parked in the building. Since there was no metal on the east side of the building, we had a pretty good view.   I watched it demolish a building about 90 yards east of us. It lifted the roof off kind of slowly, then when the roof got at about a 45 degree angle, it took off like someone had lit a rocket.  When the tornado  was over us, we could hear stuff hitting the west side of our building.  At the same time, it began to peel lumber off a stack in the south east corner of our lot and carry it northwest to the building.  I couldn't see a funnel as such, just lots of debris flying around.  One hundred men hammering on the building couldn't have made as much noise, I think.
It was an awesome display of power, and that from a fairly small and tame twister. 
Furby, Dan_Shade may be right.  Part of a tornado's purpose may be to weed out those creatures who don't have enough sense to get out of the way. ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

WDH

Faron,  looks like you were lucky :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

After riding a twister out in 1987, I don't care if I never see one again. That was not fun.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

I have had 2 tornado encounters of the third kind. The scariest was the one in Yuba Oklahome where me and the new preacher for that town ended up side by side in a ditch, and we were not even in the tornado itself. But the raw power is incredible. You feel it and hear it so much that it is sensory overload.

These ain't dirt devils Furby. I don't mind hovering over sharks and jumpng off cliffs and out of airplanes but you can have the tornados. You'd probably wet your shorts if you was about to get sucked up into one. ;D

DanG

Kev, I'd be interested in hearing what that preacher was saying during the storm. ;D :D  I mean, was he praying for you, or praying for himself, or just yelling "HOLY CRAP!" like the rest of ya?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

TexasTimbers

We had to scream at each other and then it was hard to hear. The thing I remember most him saying was "I think there is a tornado coming" and I screamed back "I think we are in it!"

Turns out we were just missed by it but the winds were so strong trees and branches were blowing right over us. We would have been creamed if we'd been hit by anything. i showed my wife the ditch once and she says God made that ditch just for me and the preacher. It is really deep. I said yeah He did make it but I sure am glad the Oklahoma Highway Department allowed themsleves to be a tool of the Lord because that ditch was right handy when we needed it the most. 8) 8) 8) ;D

I figure it was there for the preacher and I just got lucky to ride his coattails to saftey. :D

Handy Andy

I have a neighbor who hauls gravel and blacktop for the local paving company.  He says that several years back he was hauling gravel back this direction from the quarry about 40 miles east when a twister picked his truck up and put it out in the pasture he was driving by.  Took 2 big wreckers to get him back on the road, didn't hurt him or the truck. Or the fence along the pasture. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

rebocardo

Does that lexan tank come with a parachute and retro rockets for the 2,000 foot and 300 mph drop?  :D

If a 20 foot drop can break your spine just driving off a creek bed, I wonder what would happen when dropped from just 300 feet?
::)

Well, I hope at least they have a remote feed for the camera for Max X.

Daren

I found this picture image searching the web for some clipart for a advert. It is a sawblade stuck in a tree like a Ninja throwing star (there are some other cool pics there too of storm stuff and lightning) http://stormeyes.org/tornado/SkyPix/sawblade.htm
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

sparks

Last years Good Friday my house was hit by a masive hail storm. It was the largest hail I have ever seen. My wife and I stood in the garagewhen it began. It started out aboust 30 seconds of tennis ball size hail and then 3 minutes of golf ball size. I watched as the neighborhood was pounded. Windows, yard lights, garage lights shutters, screens mailboxes oh and the cars. I watched my truck take a beating. When it was all over we surveyed the damage. I lost my yard pole light and my truck looked horrible. As I looked at the front of th houses accross the street I thought about the rear of my house. It looked like it took mortar fire. I had softball size holes, 87 in all, punched in my house. I could see the drywall that is on the inside of the house. When I went inside it had knocked the drywall loose and I had nail pops galore. New roof, siding, windows, screen, gutters, wood trim replaced and painted, inside drywall repaired and walls and ceilings painted $32,000. Truck repaired, $3500.00. A litttle nervous when I hear chance of hail warnings. Thank God for good insurance.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Daren

I thought I would drag this oldie back up after I saw this video. (and this is an F1 maybe F2, wimpy by tornado standards)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clFCtNN3GBM
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

WildDog

I'm glad we don't get tornados over here, we do get hurricans up north, I see the footage and think what a shocking experience having your family with you when one hit. At least with bush fires we can prepare for the event in advance by reducing fuel loads etc and usually get some time to move our families out so we can look after our's and others property without the added burden.

Lightening is bad enough, it hits my place here regularly we're on an iron stone ridge and we occassionally loose cattle and plenty of trees. It struck the fence I was fixing in 1986 resulting in my dog and I running around like chooks with their heads cut off and solidifiied blood down my left side. 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Don_Papenburg

Chooks = chichens  to us on the topside , Right?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Fla._Deadheader

Quotechichens
"splain", Por Favor  ;D ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

LeeB

I think that's hairlip for chickens
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WildDog

QuoteChooks = chichens  to us on the topside , Right?

Don, I hav'nt got the hang of the lingo yet, mean't to say Choochs ;)

Yeah we tend to call general poultry "chooks" and juveniles, "chickens"
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

TexasTimbers

I didn't know chickenlips had hair.  :o

Thank You Sponsors!