iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here's pics (Maybe)

Started by Dave_Fullmer, March 18, 2003, 06:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_Fullmer

I tried three different web cams from Wal-Mart and didn't like the resolution.  Thanks to their customer satisfaction policies, I was able to return them.  Then I found a Samsung Digital camera (2.1 Meg pixels) on sale and decided to try it.  This seems to be fine for my taste.

I went right out and took a couple of pics of the mill.  I am building it in my friends' shop so any compliments on the shop go to them.  Mine is a real mess.  These guys and I worked together as maintenance people at the local Murray Outdoor Products factory. (Closed plant and moved to China).
They have been doing right well fabricating, doing construction, etc.  My main man is Wendel, the guy you see welding on my mill.  His welds won't come apart like mine might. :D :D.  

The wheel is just sitting on the saw frame.  It will be mounted underneath.   We ran into a slight height problem and decided to build the deck so we could check out what the cad system thinks it's telling us.  

As you can see, I am recycling some steel.

Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

Dave_Fullmer

Well, I tried that but didn't do something right.  Back to Tom's instructions that I printed out.

Dave_Fullmer

Ok, Tom,

I used my Photo Suite that came with the camera.  I then resized the photos to 350 which made the proportional height 263.  I then saved them in a resize folder under the sawmill folder that I had stored the origionals.  When I looked at the pics in the resize folder they all showed 15 Kb except one which was 14Kb.

At the bottom of this the reply window I see an upload and attach images? question.  When I click on that it takes me to the browse and upload buttons.  I seem to get hung up once I do the upload of the pics from the resize folder.  It dosen't take me back to the post so I never see the red verbage and the top left ??? ??? ??? ???

Tom

The browse and upload should take you to a window that allows you to describe the photo.  After that you will have a window of your photo that has some verbage under it.  clicking on the line of verbage is the copy part of a copy and paste routine.  When you clickon it you put the link on your clipboard.

You must return to your posting window now and place the cursor where you want the pictue and click it.  then you click on the verbage under this window that says "insert image code".  Where the code is placed will be where the picture will be if you click preview or post.

If you have lost your place then you can go to the photo Gallery (upper right in banner) , find your picture, click on the verbage that says "add this image to post" and you have put the link on the clipboard again. Go back to your posting window and do as described above.

Dave_Fullmer

Here goes again.  I think I tried to name the picture rather than my name.  

Tom

Ye-e-e-e-e-e---a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a !

Dave_Fullmer

What happened to the description?  

Sorry guys, it takes an old guy like me time to learn these new tricks.

Now I'll see if I can put more than one on a reply.

Deck from front end

Deck from rear

Dave_Fullmer

Harold,
Quit your laughing at me.  At least this is better.  Ain't got it all figured out yet, though.  I could have sworn I had that front view in correct.

Tom

Until you become really familiar with the layout of the screen,  make sure that the pictures are left justied and put the descriptions under them.  When they are placed in a sentence you lose control of where it will be placed on the post and if more than one pix is side by side it my corrupt the size of the screen and make it defficult to view.  When this happens it distorts the entire thread.

See all those %'s and 20's ?  that's what happens when you put spaces or special characters in your picture name.  You're better off when you name the picture to run words on and don't use spaces or special characters.  Some special characters even cause the picture to not show and causes all kinds of confusion.

Dave_Fullmer

It appears like any descriptions have to be typed in between the URL's.  The description boxes don't get posted?? ??? ???

At any rate, this is as far as we have gotten.  The Springs and axle parts came today.  I still have to order the hydraulics.

I am wondering how I am going to handle rotating the fork lift forks up on the deck for traveling.  Guess I need to go back and look at my buddy's WM again.

Any comments, constructive or otherwise are welcome.

Dave

Tom

When you are uploading, the descriptions are for the Photo Gallery not for the post.  Click on the Phot Gallery button at the top of the page and you will be able to find all of your pictures that you uploaded.  Click on the name of the picture and it will be displayed with your description/comments below.

Dave_Fullmer

Tom,

Another question.  I just went to the Photo Gallery and noticed my pics were there.  That's why I had to rename them to get into my post?  Can I go to the gallery to plug a pic into my post?

Tom

Yep, you sure can.   That way you can use one of these pictures a month from now in another post without having to upload it again.  That saves you time and saves space on the forum too.  Duplicates get expensive space-wise.

I checked out why your first picture didn't display and it was because there was an extra space inserted in the name after the word "from".  I took it out and the link then matched the name on the Gallery.

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like an assortment of steel to me!! Didja get the sawhead from Linn, or is it yer own creation?? Hey, I never laugh at ANYONE that is just gettin started, either pitcher postin OR buildin.
  Like Tom said, go to the photo album and click on a pic. THEN, it will give ya a command box with text to add to yer post. Just click on that.
   Looks like yer doing fine, so far. One suggestion?? When you manipulate yer pic, before saving it, BRIGHTEN the sucker up a tad ?? ;) :D :D :D  Pics get easier every time ya mess up !! ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dave_Fullmer

Thanks Tom,

I know this thing doesn't look like much yet, but I thought I should get some of the kinks out of the way putting pics on the board.  Now If I weren't leaving the county for a couple of weeks, I could maybe show some progress.

I need the progress.  Sat I looked at 3 red oak trees that a tree service guy is cutting down.  The smallest is 10 ft around.  All three will have at least 2 good 8 ft logs each.  Thank goodness I have some smaller ones to tune up the saw with.

I am sure my WD Allis won't pick the logs up to load them.  I'll have to go back to the cable and roll them up the ramps again.

Dave.

Dave_Fullmer

Now I was gonna do that and then old age crept in and I forgot.  I got so interested in getting the pics on that I forgot to brighten them up.

That's a Linn concept.  I bought some parts from them and got their video.  Then I proceeded to modify the width and height.  Messed up though and put one extra 2 in on the saw frame and also designed some adjustable feet to mount the wheels on.  When we assembled it we realized that the blade was not going to reach the bottom of the cant by  quite a bit.  (5 1/2 inches in fact).  That's when we started working on the deck.  I put the six in high bolsters on it to help make up the difference and then redesigned the feet to put the wheels higher.  I am quite sure we have it right now but I want to get the deck done first before we go any further on the carraige.

Most of my carreer has been as a maintenance technician.  I can see the actual part easier than I can see it on paper.  Once I see it, I can Auto cad it if it stays simple.  This project has challanged my Cad abilities, but I'm getting a nice set of prints put together.  Don't know if anyone else could make sense of them though.

Dave

Fla._Deadheader

I got a "mergency call from my puter guru today. He got a leak in last night's downpour, right on HIS puter. We got there and my son went up on the roof. 10 minutes later, he carries in a hunk of roof lookin like a sieve. It was rotted through in several places, so, we went and got a sheet of Galv. and some pop rivets and roofin dob and made a 2' X 6' patch, after we cut the rot away and let it dry.
  Ennyhoo, he has a beginners?? disk of auto-cad. He's gonna put it on my puter and see how cornfused I can get ??????  Might need some help????
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Hi Dave!
 I was wondering something.....How come your shop looks so nice and clean and organized? I work in my shop and it never looks as nice and neat as your shop :D.......Can ya tell me your secret as to how you keep your shop looking so nice!
  BTW your mill is looking good and please keep the pics posted as you progress. 8)

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Boy, you ARE dizie, bizie!! :D :D He said in the first post that it was NOT his shop. This is someone else's shop. That's the way I keep mine clean too, use somebody else's. ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dave_Fullmer

Steve,
Sometime I'll take a pic of mine from afar, real afar!  YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE IT!   :) :) :D

What I tried to did when mine got messed up real bad was to build a new one, bigger.  That worked real good till the wife said "Get all that mechanical and junk out of here, so I can park my car in the garage."  She expressly told me to leave the woodworking stuff there though, since she works with that.  There has always been a quarter of this garage where she has her scroll saw and workbench.  Woe on me if I leave something over there.  Now she has the whole garage.

The other building was 24' deep by 48' wide.  It used to be a horse barn with no cememt in it.  I decided to add 24' to the front with two 8x8 doors and one 12x12 door.  The idea was I needed to park the 32' motor home in it.  So far the motor home hasn't been in it yet

Someday I'm going to get organized.

The shop in the pictures is the guys business shop.  They try to keep it pretty clean.  Was until I put my steel in it.

Dave

biziedizie

Deadheader I was looking at the pretty pictures!........Nobody said nothing about reading the post! lol!

And Dave we do want to see your mill!

Steve

D._Frederick

Dave,
I see in one of your pictures of the saw carriage that you put the band wheel bearings on top of the frame. This will cut down on your throat size, they should hang down.

Dave_Fullmer

D_Fredrick,
Hope you don't mind razzing a little but you must be just like Dizzie.  You only look at pictures and don't read.  The origional post stated that the wheel was just setting and would be mounted underneath.

However, that still didn't correct my small boo-boo when I put the cad drawings together.  We were going to be 5 1/2 inches too high if we hadn't caught the problem.  We caught the problem when we assembled it to the point you see.  I had someone hold the wheel on the bottome of the frame and took a measurment to the floor and said, "OH, oh" or something worse.  Fortunately, the problem is easily fixed.  I just decided to start from the bottom (being the deck) and check things out closer as we build it.

Put the tongue and ball hitch on today.  The guys tell me I over designed the hitch.  It's 3 in square tubing 1/4" wall with 2 in tubing supports welded on an angle to the front of the tongue.

Thanks for the interest.  Can't wait to get it done and tie into those 38" dia red oak logs.

Dave

biziedizie

PHEW!! I was thinking that I was the only one that looked pictures but I guess I was wrong.  ;)
  Dave my brother-inlaw builds alot of trailers and from what I see on his stuff I would say that you built the tongue just right. Better over build it then turn a corner and see your mill go the other way!

Steve

Dave_Fullmer

Just wish I could brag about my welding but you guys already know I have admitted not being a welder.  Wendel  does a great job.

biziedizie

Hey Dave it's looking good! So what colour are you going to paint it when your done? That big a** I beam that's sitting by the mill was that your first choice to build the tongue out of! :D :D

Steve

Jeff

Don't ask Dave what color it will be, ask me. You see we make em whatever color we think they should be to go with the forum decor. Ask Whitepe and Deadheader. They ended up with the hot pink and neon green models.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

biziedizie

Oh yeah I forgot that your the man with the powers that control things around here! So do ya think you could take the pics and make Dave's mill a pretty pink with a few polk-a-dots on it, I think Dave might like that!  :)

Steve

Mark M

Hey Dave

Those welds look pretty good to me. I can weld strong and if I use 6013 rod I can even weld pretty. Would like to try a wire feed welder one of these days. We have a bunch at work, guess I'll have to go out and get a quick lesson.

Mark

Fla._Deadheader

Mark, Don'T weld with a wire welder, it'll spoil ya!!  ::)You'll never want to lift a stinger again. ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dave_Fullmer

Steve,

That big I beam is 4' long.  I had 16' left over from my barn addition and cut it in 4 pieces to have something solid to lay out the mill on.  When I first hauled the steel to the guys shop they thought I planned to use it on the mill and started to wonder how many axles I was going to put on it.    Those 4 pieces sure made it easier to weld.

Mark,

That is wire feed.  When Murray closed last year, us guys in maintenance were given quite a few of the tools that they didn't want to truck to China.  They guys have 240 3PH and they have 3 of those welders.  I can do a fine job with the wire feed, but can't stick weld worth a darn.

Wendel is one heck of a welder.  I haven't ever seen a bad weld of his.  He is a certified gas pipe welder.  The other two guys are good with electrical, general maintenance, and construction.  I have a strong background in automation equipment.  I should buy into their business and then we should go for local plant PLC projects.  But what the heck, I'm 65 and I've been having a nice vacation for the last year.  I've been telling people that this last summer was the first summer I've had off since 7th grade.

Steve,  none of those sisy color schemes for my LOG BOSS..  I have been thinking gray deck, Ford blue on the carraige, and white blade guards.  My first choice was Allis Chalmers Persian Orange #!, but I thought that would be too much conflict with WM and you guys wouldn't let me live that down.  Besides Persian Orange #1 is reserved for Allis tractors older than 1960.

Gotta get to school.  I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

Dave

D._Frederick

Dave,
 Sorry about my mistake, I still believe that a picture is worth a thousand words!  I bought no. 0008 carriage from linn lumber and built the track from there plans. I wish I had designed the track myself, I would have added rollers under the track to prevent the carriage from tipping forward. With a 150lb motor and mudd saw in front of blade, the center of gravity is too far forward.

D._Frederick

Dave,
I went through the postings to see how I screwed-up and looking at your pictures again on reply no. 6 , the one with the wheel on top, I notice that you have installed the horizontal tube across the back of the carriage. Check this distance out from the top of the log rests to the bottom side of this tube, It determines how big of a log you can saw. On my mill, I could saw about a 3 inch larger log, if this tube was higher. It has caused me a lot of sawing with the chain saw on swell butted logs.
Nice pictures and nice job, looks like factory work.

Dave_Fullmer

D.,

No problem, I was just razzing you.

You make an interesting point about the back cross bar.  When I drew up the plans, I made mine wider and higher than Linn's.  I believe I remember that theirs was only 36 or 39" on the posts and about the same wide.  I expanded that to about 48 by 48.  Acutally the rear posts are only 47" with that bar done 3"  Being a 2" piece that gives me clearance of 42" to the bottom of the frame.  Add abut 1 1/2" for half the wheel but take away the 6" bolster gives me about 37 1/2".  I just might have a problem that I didn't realize on those big red oak trees I looked at Sat.   :o :o  DanG, now I wish you hadn't said anything and I could have blissfully gone on thinking every thing was fine.  Now I'll have to think about a solution.

Course I could just weld a bar right on top of the posts and saw off the existing one with the portaband.  That might just be a good idea.  On the other hand, I'm not sure I really want to saw 38" oak logs.  The cant is going to be one h*** of a job turning.

The information I got from Linn was model numbers.  a 160 being a 16" wheel, a 190 being a 19" wheel, and a 210 being a 21" wheel.   What size is the 0008 that you refer to?  I bought 19" wheels, 48" lift screws and the hyd tensioner from them.  

I don't quite picture what you are referring to as rollers under the track?  Have you had problems with the mill tipping forward?

Thanks for the comments.  I'll be sure to pass them to the guys in the shop.  I emailed Wendel with the URL so he could see his picture on the web.   He didn't quite understand my instructions how to get to the forum.

Dave

D._Frederick

Dave,
My carriage is a 190 and has 19inch band wheels, the throat opening is 23 inches and the maximum log size is 28 inches. I have track to cut 27 feet. The 0008 is the serial number of the carriage.  I had priced it out and had plans on paper to build a new carriage with 24inch wheels, but my health took a turn for the worst so now just a dream. The 19inch wheels limit a person to use only the flex back blades, and even these will only give about 15hrs of run time. The hard back blades allow a faster feed rate and they don't deviate from the cut-line.
With the center of gravity toward the front on my mill, I was afraid that if I hit the stops on the end of the track that the carriage would tip farward. I am using 6inch channel to re-inforce the track, I used a piece of bar stock that has  the end bent to match the angle of the channel flange on the inside. This is bolted to the back of the carriage by the carriage wheels, it has just enough clearance that it does not rub the channel flange as the carriage moves on the track. It will prevent the back of the carriage from lifting if I hit the track stops too hard.

Dave_Fullmer

D.,
So Gary's 190 has only throat hieght of 23"?  You know, until you pointed this potential out I hadn't even thought about the throat hieght or "Shut hieght" as they call it in punch press language.  Shame on me :-[ :-[.  

We just got the carriage set on the deck yesterday and today, I did some measuring.  I can see how you can't even use the whole length of the up/down screw because of the limit in how much it slide can travel.  I'm in the process right now of seeing what we can do to increase that travel.  Even with the extra length I put on my posts, I can only travel about 29 inches.  I'm looking at maybe maiking the posts a little longer.  It doesn't look like it would be too much trouble to get as much as 36" throat height

Already, with the height of the deck, using the hand crank at the top is out of the question.  This only reinforces my thoughts about putting a power raise/lower system on it.

I also measured the clearance on the back bar and found I had 37 1/2".  I am thinking about putting the bar on top of the posts and maybe using a gusset on the corners.  

Darn, too bad that I wasn't a better engineer.  I sure thank you for your input.  I probably wouldn't have even noticed until after we had painted it.  Then I would have felt I had to live with it.

Dave_Fullmer

D.

Forgot to ask you something else I was wondering about.

You say your saw is serial # 0008.  I'm curious about how long you have owned it.  I never even thought to ask Gary how many saws he has out there.  Does your 0008 indicate he hasn't built that many saws?

BTW, I have found Gary to be very helpful whenever I have had questions about my modifications.  I guess I just haven't thought of the right questions to ask him.

Dave

D._Frederick

Dave,
It will be two yours since the last time I was at Gary's shop, said that he had over 300 of the 190's out. If I remember correctly, it was 1989 when I ordered the carriage. I guess that I was unclear about throat dimensions. From guide to guide the opening is 23inches, From the log rest to the blade it is 25 inches. The throat height is about 10 inches (from blade to bottom of saw frame).
I set up my mill to be all electric, I am using a 1/3 hp gear motor to turn the up-down screw,  it gives me 8 inches of travel per minute. I wish it was a little faster, but with no speed control, it allows me to index it without too much trouble, I left the crank on for fine adjustment. The gear motor is the axial type and can be turned.  I have a 1/4 hp 90rpm perament magnet dc motor with SCR control for carriage feed. The way my mill is set-up, it handles up to 24 inch diameter logs with no problem, above that not so easy. To go bigger, you should have more guide to guide opening and more height from log rest to blade. If you have not bought guides, I would go with the Suffic (sp) guides that have a flat blade under the roller, Cooks Saw also sells this type guide. It prevents the blade from twisting and reduces the wavy cut.
Good luck on your building.

Dave_Fullmer

Thanks D.

I take it that if your mill is totally electric that the 90 rpm motor is a 90 VDC?  Your idea of leaving the handle on the up/down screw sounds good to me.  I definitely will have to use a motor on the up/down because my height from the ground is getting up so high that the crank is in an awkward position.  I have about 31 inches of travel for the blade height.

Been gone for 2 weeks putting windows and doors in an old cabin at a Bible camp in East TN so I haven't been able to do anything on the mill except use the CAD system on the laptop to check out things.  Tomorrow I'll check out what Wendel has done on it these two weeks.

Dave.

D._Frederick

Dave,
Glad that you got your re-build project on the cabin done, how was the weather? All it has done here is rain, we had measurable rain every day in March. It broke a record.
On the up/down drive on my mill, I am using a 1/3 hp 120v-ac gearmotor that is a Dayton brand. I use a on/off/on toggle switch to control the motor. I went with the ac motor because the dc system was about $200 more. I have the drive set-up with a Vee belt that gives me a speed of 8 inches/minute. If I went any faster, I don't think that it would be controllable with a toggle switch. If you plan on sawing to make money, waiting 3 minutes to raise the saw head is too long.

Dave_Fullmer

D.
The weather was beautiful most of the time.  It was 60 to 78 degrees until Sun the 31st.  Then we got 6 inches of snow in the morning.  It melted off in the afternoon and was misty and wet on Monday.  The rest of the week it was nice again.

My wife and I took out 6 old wood panels and reframed the holes to accept new windows.  We also resided the siding with "new" rough sawed vertical board and batten strips. We also install 2 new door.   I took pics of the project but probably shouldn't post them here unless being sawmill rough lumber is a good enough excuse.

We had a good time.  They fed us TOO WELL.  We put my tools in my pickup and hauled it over there behind my motor home.

It was good to be back home though.

Thank You Sponsors!