iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

eggs

Started by Dan_Shade, May 15, 2007, 08:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

what are some good uses of eggs for a bachelor cook?

i can only eat so many fried and scrambled eggs, and i've got PLENTY of eggs....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don_Papenburg

Trade em to the butcher for some sausage , to the granny down the road for some fresh rhubarb pie,
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Furby

Boil some and make salads and such.
Giving them away is another tried and true, as well as trying to sell a few.

Engineer

Sell 'em, trade 'em, but just because you're cooking for yourself doesn't mean you can't make some really fine food.

Egg salad.  Poached eggs.  Mayonnaise.  Hollandaise sauce.  Frittata.  Meringue.  Quiche.  Souffle.  Eggs benedict.  Egg foo young.  Fried rice.  Egg drop soup.  PASTA!  Egg noodles.  Egg breads.  Stollen.  Deviled eggs.  Eggnog.  Pickled eggs.  Huevos rancheros.  Meatloaf.  Scotch eggs.  Egg dip for fried foods.  I could go on for a while.  

My family will go through 4-6 dozen eggs a week, and that's not counting near holidays when baking consumes another several dozen.   I love to cook and love cooking and baking with eggs, my favorite uses from the above list are homemade egg noodles/dumplings and deviled eggs.  

Dan_Shade

how big is your family?!?!?!
that's a lot of eggs!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sawguy21

Mix them with whole milk, sugar, vanilla, and serve with a generous splash of demarrara rum.  8) 8) :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Leave some of them in the henhouse to hatch.  There's lots of good chicken recipes, too. ;D 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Engineer

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 15, 2007, 09:09:23 PM
how big is your family?!?!?!
that's a lot of eggs!

seven of us but the baby isn't eating eggs yet.  eggs got a bad rep a while back as being a problem with cholesterol, but we let the scientists muddle on long enough and they changed their minds.  so we all eat a lot of eggs.  cheap good protein and the only thing an egg doesn't have is vitamin c.  three eggs and a glass of oj and i'm good for the morning. well, they don't have cafeine either so I need coffee too.. ;D

Norm

We get an average of 6-8 eggs per day right now so I'm always looking for new ways to use them.

A few things I do with them is make egg pasta. You can make a big batch and then freeze them up for later use. It's very simple recipe, just eggs, a little olive oil and flour. Knead it all together and let rest for a while then roll out pretty thin, cut into strips and then put serving size quantities into baggies and freeze. I hard boil some and use them in salads, I also use the yolks to make a homemade salad dressing. Custard ice cream uses plenty and it's something else that can be stored in the freezer for later use. Crack one on the dogs dry food and mix in, it makes their coat shiny.

Even then we still give away plenty, the neighbors around us don't have to buy eggs during the summer.  :D

Patty

Eggs are great. This time of year our little hens are laying around 6-8 per day.  :o    Norm has been making egg noodles, dumplings, scrambled eggs, poached, etc lately for my diet. They taste wonderful and are so good for you. We give lots away to the neighbors since they have little kids that I feel the need to nourish  ::) , and of course to the little old ladies who I feel don't get a good diet. I guess I have annointed myself the mother-hen of our little town!  ;D

OK, what Norm just said. Can you tell we are in different rooms?  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Carries-Mom

You can always make deviled eggs and all of the other stuff everyone else has mentioned.  You can always make omelets, too.  You can always buy the cake mixes and brownie mixes, in the box, and make yourself some sweets, if you like that.  The box isn't as good as home made, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do.  Hope you got some ideas!!   musteat_1 sketti_1

sawguy21

Quote from: Norm on May 16, 2007, 07:58:53 AM
Crack one on the dogs dry food and mix in, it makes their coat shiny.
Interesting that you do that. My parents dog got a breakfast of raw egg and a slice of bread for years and he loved it. When he was put down at 15, the vet remarked on the good condition of his coat.

solodan

Quote from: Engineer on May 15, 2007, 08:42:26 PM

Egg salad.  Poached eggs.  Mayonnaise.  Hollandaise sauce.  Frittata.  Meringue.  Quiche.  Souffle.  Eggs benedict.  Egg foo young.  Fried rice.  Egg drop soup.  PASTA!  Egg noodles.  Egg breads.  Stollen.  Deviled eggs.  Eggnog.  Pickled eggs.  Huevos rancheros.  Meatloaf.  Scotch eggs.  Egg dip for fried foods.  I could go on for a while. 

Maybe Engineer has a sister that is single :D

Engineer

Nope.  Don't even have a sister. 

rebocardo

Make scrambled eggs with paprika and some black pepper, then mix it into fried rice along with some veggies. One of my favorites.

Pancakes! I use one egg for every cup of floor.

Home made bread with egg coated on the top.

Engineer

Quote from: rebocardo on May 16, 2007, 01:18:32 PM
Pancakes! I use one egg for every cup of floor.

Ick.  Pancakes made out of floor.   smiley_chef_hat

WDH

Quote from: Engineer on May 15, 2007, 08:42:26 PM
Egg salad.  Poached eggs.  Mayonnaise.  Hollandaise sauce.  Frittata.  Meringue.  Quiche.  Souffle.  Eggs benedict.  Egg foo young.  Fried rice.  Egg drop soup.  PASTA!  Egg noodles.  Egg breads.  Stollen.  Deviled eggs.  Eggnog.  Pickled eggs.  Huevos rancheros.  Meatloaf.  Scotch eggs.  Egg dip for fried foods.  I could go on for a while.  

Reminded me of all of the ways Bubba said you could cook shrimp in Forest Gump :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I take it you don't want to sell any.Around here some people pay $3 a dozen for those homemade eggs.Closer to the city the price goes up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

well, call me stupid, stubburn, or whatever, but I don't want to sell them.  to legally sell eggs you need to have a USDA inspected facility in maryland.  It was a way of the commies doing in the little farmers.

i've given a bunch away to friends, but I still have a surplus :) 

my cooking skills/interests necessitate that things be EASY to fix, and FAST!

i need to get married, but I hear that they don't just cook and have babies these days.

i'd better find a good place to hide now!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on May 16, 2007, 05:41:31 PM
I take it you don't want to sell any.Around here some people pay $3 a dozen for those homemade eggs.Closer to the city the price goes up.

They are over $2 a dozen here in stores and you can get fresh for $2-$2.50, none near me though. I don't use a dozen a month and when the carton isn't used I toss it, because they don't keep forever. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Dan, that was one of the funniest posts I have seen in a long time.

SAW MILLER

Have an egg toss....egg in yer face ..egg in yer beer..don't egg Me on :D
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

thurlow

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 16, 2007, 05:44:27 PM
I hear that they don't just cook and have babies these days.

There's a bunch of ways to interpret that statement;  what exactly is it that you hear?   :)  There's single wimmens on the forum; maybe we need a new forum.................Forestry Forum Matchmakers.   8)  
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

sawguy21

Oh oh, I can see where this is headed. :D :D

scsmith42

Hmm, I think that I'll try to "save" this string and turn it back to food  :D

Dan, we're getting about 3 dozen eggs a day, so I can relate!  In addition to a lot of breakfast taco's, I also like soft boiled eggs (cooked white, runny yolk - similar to "over easy").
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!