iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Champion Tree

Started by DanG, May 11, 2007, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

As alluded to in the "Cow oak" thread, I have learned that there is a Florida Champion tree in my neighborhood.  This morning, I learned that it is a Pyramid Magnolia (Magnolia Pyramidata), which is one of the rarest of all the Magnolia family.  It isn't a large tree, as trees go, but the species only grows to 20 feet or so.  I had never even heard of this tree until today, so I'm quite excited to have a chance to see it.  I hope to get over there this weekend to take some pics. ;D 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Patiently waiting.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

It is tree that I have not personally met.  As it is rare, it is likely shy too, so be on your best behavior :).  Kindly ask permission for a few pics ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

WDH, I've got an open invite to visit, anytime.  Matter of fact, the prospect of you and Dodgy Loner visiting the area was mentioned to the landowners last night, and they will welcome you with open arms.  They are very proud of their 14 acres on the ravine, and are very interested in learning more about it.

My major goal right now is to get over there and catch it in bloom. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Great!  So I will get to meet Ms. Pyramidata after all ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

That is one excursion I would like to tag along on. I really want to learn more about the trees I'm looking at all the time.   Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DanG

All ya gotta do is saddle up and come on, DonK!  WDH and I have been kicking around the idea of having a Forum get-together down here, and making Dendrology the theme.  That's just in the talking stage right now, but any and all ForestryForum members are always welcome to come to my place anytime! :)

Radar67

DanG, I may take you up on that during Moultrie. I'm still kicking around the idea of bringing my trailer.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don K

DanG, Try to give me advance warning and I'll take vac. if necessary. I would hate to miss that.  Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Dodgy Loner

I had the pleasure of meeting a small family of M. pyramidata's while working on the coast of North Carolina, but their stature was unimpressive.  I'd like to see how big that champ is  :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

DanG

With a little bit of luck and a small effort on your part, you'll get that chance, DL. :)  I'm not waitin' for ya, though.  The Grandifloras are blooming right now, so I figger there's a chance I might catch this guy/gal in that process.  I'm gonna try to get over there tomorrow with a camera. ;D

Say, this Champion Tree thing is catching my interest, big time.  Is there a list of the reigning champs on the internet somewhere?

Stew, hang on to that trailer idea.  If ya don't find something that suits yer fancy at Moultrie, Mr. Hootie will be glad to load it up for ya. ;D :D

Don K, there will be plenty of advance warning if we get a get-together together.  If not, you can come over anytime you find a crack in your schedule. :)

DanG

This is another place I'd like to show y'all when you come down.  It is called Aspalaga Landing.  It's just a spot where the road dead-ends at the river and there is a little boat ramp there, but BOY is it ever beautiful!  Here's a shot of my ol' Lady enjoyin' a cold one among the trees.

;D

WDH

Aspalaga Landing looks like it has some interesting trees.  Who knows, maybe there is a champion hiding there somewhere.

Dang,  Best I can tell, Florida does not have a champion tree list on-line.  Most states do. 

Dodgy Loner,  If you check the National Register of Big Trees, http://www.americanforests.org/resources/bigtrees/register.php?sort=&startnum=640, you have two champions on the Georgia State List that are bigger than the National Champion shown on this website......Aesculus slyvatica and Baccharis halmifolia if I am not mistaken.

Tom

WDH,
Our champion trees may have already gone back to Ohio for the summer.

DanG

Thanx for the link, WDH!  Looks like our Pyramid is the National Champ! ;D 8) 8) 8)

It is listed as 84 feet tall, with a 46" circumferance.  That's pretty good for a tree that should only grow to 20 feet, ain't it?

WDH

Tom,

I guess we will have to wait until winter to measure them :).

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on May 13, 2007, 12:29:44 AM
Dodgy Loner,  If you check the National Register of Big Trees, http://www.americanforests.org/resources/bigtrees/register.php?sort=&startnum=640, you have two champions on the Georgia State List that are bigger than the National Champion shown on this website......Aesculus slyvatica and Baccharis halmifolia if I am not mistaken.

That's right.  My only Nat'l Champion tree on that list is an Ilex vomitoria, even though I've nominated several that are larger than the current champs.  In addition to the A. sylvatica and B. halmifolia that you mentioned, I've also nominated a Nyssa ogeche and a Crataegus viridis (and a couple others that I can't remember) that are larger than the national champs, but neither of them have made it onto the national list.  Not sure why, but I haven't had the time to worry about it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

WDH

DL,

I bet if you sent some pics (maybe you did), that will add credibility to the claim.  By the way, this Forum loves pics ::).

DanG,

It there are any undiscovered Champions down your way, Dodgy Loner will sniff them out, like a Champion Tree Bloodhound.  He has a nose for them 8).

Dodgy Loner

I sent in the nominations (with pictures) to Willard Fell, who's in charge of the Champion Tree list in GA.  He's supposed to forward nominations of National Champion size to the national champion list, but I guess he got too busy.  Maybe on of these days I'll get around to sending my nominations straight to American Forest's national list.

WDH

Does American Forest keep the "official" national champion list?

DanG

I spent a couple or five hours perusing the lists, and came to the conclusion that it ain't a real high priority to the folks that are supposed to maintain it.  Fer instance, there ain't no National Champion Sweetgum, yet Alabama and Georgia both have champions in that category.  The same goes for Camphor Tree.  It seems to me that if somebody is responsible for maintaining the list, it would be a simple matter to look at all the state lists and pick the biggest one. ::) ???

By the way, I see that Florida has a big tree coordinator, and his phone # is listed.  I think I'll call him and see if there is actually a list online, somewhere.  Might be a simple matter to get the link posted on the National site.

Dodgy Loner

Right, American Forests (americanforests.org) keeps up with the national list.  They're the ones who started the whole thing back in the 1940's.

WDH

Set them straight, DL :).

Thank You Sponsors!