iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to start

Started by Quartlow, May 11, 2007, 08:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

I had an gentleman call me up about sawing a log. I've dealt some with him in the past, he has bought a few bowls and gave me a nice huge cherry log.  So to put it in perspective he has treated me very well in the past.

I get there, we walk back in the woods and he starts telling me how he is selling of a large chunk of his 100 acres to be developed due to the fact that his taxes are killing him. He also tells me I can come and take whatever I want out  before they start. I told him I wasn't in a position to buy logs. He tells me no no just get them out.

I didn't walk the whole woods but I saw 3 red oaks that had to be 45 to 50 inches DBH and easy 45 or 50 feet to the first branch. Theres a pile of beach in there, Most of the cherry is only about 18 to 24 inches but tall REAL TALL.
Lot of nice tall straight poplar.

Much as it broke my heart I told him his best bet was to get a forester in there to cruise it and have him help get it logged. I don't know what logs are bringing right now but there has to be a pretty fair chunk of change there.

On the plus note he wants to pay me to get that maple down and out. The down part is easy since the last windstorm topped it all ready. So I have about a 35 foot log standing there to drop. And then I get to saw it.  8)
And if they log it I get to clean all the tops for firewood  8)  8)  8)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

woodmills1

Honesty will give you returns. :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WDH

Quartlow,

That was admirable advice.  You are a sawyer and a gentlemen.  Good deeds get re-paid.  Even if he sell the timber, I am sure you could buy a few of the good grade cherry for the stumpage price he will get for it and it will result in a very good value to you with no loss to him. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jon12345

Cherry that is only 18-24"  :o  wish I had those to give away.  I don't think he'll have a problem getting it logged,  maybe if he did he'd be able to save the money and be able to pay the taxes a few more years before he really has to sell.  Getting it into timber management may also get enough of a tax break that he doesn't have to sell or log it.  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Quartlow

I wouldn't say I'm a gentleman.  I just don't want to be a logger  :D
Besides when they log it they will leave stuff behind that will saw into dimensional lumber good enough for
Stuff around the farm. I'll be happy just to get firewood.

He's a nice guy, book smart  :P, no common sense.  ::) His FIL is in the Northeast Ohio Forestry association. I tried to talk him into timber management. That didn't work so well. But I haven't given up on it yet. But I think they are pretty well set on selling. Taxes in that township will kill you and they just passed another levy  ::)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

thecfarm

He should have it logged first.Probaly wil scare him how much money he has standing there.Should be able to hang on to it for a few more years,to pay taxes unless he wants to buy a sawmill too????Around here it does not matter if there is wood of any size or not.Alot of times I will see alot cut off and than the for sale signs go up after the logger is done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Many people buying land do not see the value in the trees.  They many times are willing to pay about the same price with some trees left as for all the trees left.  So, that is why we see so many "real estate" harvests.  Usually the best timber is cut and "trees of character" are left.  To the forester, these "trees of character" are the low grade, wolfy, multi-trunked, trees that have no timber value.  So, these real-estate cuts are high grading in disguise.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bull

Sounds like he doesn't have to sell any land... He should make enough w/ a good harvest to cover his tax burden for a while !!!  He must be seeing the dollars and not the trees,,, Under the influence of some smooth talking developer....  You also may want to be more involved, to many new neighbors could cause you problems in the future! !!!

Thank You Sponsors!