iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New nominee for the Hall of Shame!

Started by Dave Shepard, May 09, 2007, 07:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

There is a shelf at the place where I used to work called the Hall of Shame. It is wherewe put all the leaned out snowmobile pistons, bent handle bars, and whatever else that got broken due to a lapse of reasonably thought. I think this one is a "shoo-in" as they say. It is the pin that you put in the backhoe boom on my Kubota L48 so it doesn't settle when you go down the road.

It used to be in one piece. I hired out moving it to a job this morning, apperantly the backhoe was just about two inches too high for that railroad underpass.  :o :o :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

::) ::)  Sheared 'er off pretty slick, eh ???  :)  Hurt the boom ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dave Shepard

Nope! 8) 8) 8) Just two little dings about a half an inch above the rod for the dipperstick cylinder. Judging by the shape of the dings, I'd say it was the lower flange of an I-beam.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

::) Dipperstick = crown.  ::) ;D ;D ;D  Just thought you'd like to know.  :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Don P

Whew, you got lucky. Our excavator took his new mini backhoe into a RR bridge this winter, destroyed the boom and its mount. Then the RR tried to make him buy the bridge  ::). He was kinda grumpy for awhile.

Fraxinus

When I was in the Field Artillery, there was what was called a "Million Dollar Pin" that served a similar function, except it kept the howitzer from flopping side to side, rather than up and down, as it was going down the road.  Woe be unto any Section Chief who forgot to make sure that pin was in place before that gun was hooked onto the back of that truck.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Qweaver

Hey deadheader,  my Bro-in law has spent the bulk of his life (he retired a few years ago) operating dozers and backhoes for the gas company here in WV and he calls it a dipper...so I guess I'll continue to call it that.  I've welded most of my life and I call my rod holder a stinger...professional welders will know what I'm talking about...non-welders will not.  just thought you'd like to know.  ::)
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

logwalker

My son-in-law hauls for a living and one time a few years back he was moving a crane. Crossing a trestle bridge everything was fine until the boom started to bounce a little. Just enough to catch a cross member and do about $50,000 damage. I felt pretty bad for the kid. He moves a little quick for his own good. Big heart though and he stays with it. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Qweaver on May 09, 2007, 09:21:54 PM
Hey deadheader,  my Bro-in law has spent the bulk of his life (he retired a few years ago) operating dozers and backhoes for the gas company here in WV and he calls it a dipper...so I guess I'll continue to call it that.  I've welded most of my life and I call my rod holder a stinger...professional welders will know what I'm talking about...non-welders will not.  just thought you'd like to know.  ::)
Quinton

I don't know hardly nuthin' 'bout weldin', 'cept maybe how to make a puddle or two.

I always thought they were stingers.     

I do know more than I would like to about running asunder a mis-judged bridge, though.                 :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

IL Bull

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on May 09, 2007, 08:05:29 PM

::) Dipperstick = crown.  ::) ;D ;D ;D  Just thought you'd like to know.  :)
I've been in the heavy equipment business as a service manager for the last 8 years.  I have heard them called three things,
Dipper, Crowd and Arm. :P 8) ;D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

TexasTimbers

Quote from: IL Bull on May 10, 2007, 09:05:24 AMI have heard them called three things,
Dipper, Crowd and Arm. :P 8) ;D

I thought "crowd" was what you get when the bridge is so low the backhoe did not make it all the way through. :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tom

That's what I call it, The Crowd Boom.  The Swing Boom is hooked to the tractor, the Crowd Boom is hooked to the swing boom and bucket. :)

Dave Shepard

I believe crowd is a term started when there was only cable operated excavation equipment. My Kubota is one of them new-fangled hydraulic machines.  ;D

Dave

Tom

I got a little bit of experience on a 3/4 yard LinkBelt dragline when I was in my early 20's.  We were digging ditches and  dikes through the mangrove swamps next to the ocean on the Indian River.  I was an oiler and got to run the machine on lunch breaks and when the operator was tired.  ;D
He was an old cowboy that never got in a hurry and...  here I go again, getting off subject.   Anyhow, he called the Boom the Boom and the wire line that was tied to the boom, boom hoist.  There were two of  them.  He called the line that went up the boom, dangled down and had the bucket on it, the bucket hoist.  He called the line that was attached to the front of the bucket the... now get this... "the drag line."   :D :D

I learned that draglines "walk", they aren't driven, and Mats are used to sit on when the tracks won't hold up the weight.  The hook on the drag-line is the mat-hook.  The reels hold line, not cable and they are driven by clutches.  I had to use my hands and feet.  I don't remember what the handles and footpads did, but it sure was confusing.   I'd like to do it again. :)

Dave Shepard

I ran a Yumbo with a grapple quite a bit this winter sorting chunks of marble. It had four foot pedals, and at least three or four levers that did something useful. It really wasn't as confusing as I was expecting.

Dave

Don_Papenburg

Just telling someone about the dirt loader that I saw dicabooberated on a hiway overpass about fifteen years ago . We were heading west on I80 and I saw a semi with the soon to be dismanteled dirt loader  was heading east . I told my wife that thing will never fit under that overpass . well he got there just before we did ,and he didn't fit .  The top drum bounced down the road the elevator twisted like  a pretzel and many small parts scattered like scart rats .

Dragline , lets see wern't those things replasced with hydaulic excavators about 45-50 years ago?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteDragline , lets see wern't those things replasced with hydaulic excavators about 45-50 years ago?

In Florida, they are still used in the sand mining pits. Dredges are starting to take over that chore, though.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Draglines are great pond digging devices. They not only have reach, but will dig really deep without having to get into the hole.  :D

TexasTimbers

Wgenever I build a dock for a lake lot owner, in nearly every case their little mud hole has to be dragged so that their boat can get in. I use the same guy everytime. He even built a pile driver special for my dockbuilding.
Anytime he drags I always ask if I can drag some.
"Better not. Maybe next time."
Once I said "You said 'next time' last time. That makes it this time."
He thought for a minute then said "Last time I said maybe next time." ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

thurlow

Quote from: kevjay on May 11, 2007, 11:55:59 AM
He thought for a minute then said "Last time I said maybe next time." ;D

Kinda reminds me of a big sign on the door of a barbershop in a town about 15 miles down the road, "Free haircuts tomorrow".  I've never been in there, but I know what their response would be if I asked about a free haircut.   :)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Quartlow

According to John Deere, its Boom/ dipper stick /bucket. We always just called it the boom and the stick.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

submarinesailor

This thread brings back a funny memory that happened on East Washington Ave in Petersburg, VA.  I was on my way back Richmond from a doctor appointment at Ft. Lee.  While waiting at the stop light to turn onto Washington Ave, a line truck came by.  I thought something was a little funny about it– the boom wasn't fully nested in it's cradle.  It was up about 18-24".  I was about 100 yards behind him when he got the first stoplight. smiley_eek_dropjaw  Doing about 50 MPH when he hit it.  So, the stop light went into thousands of pieces real quick.  Did he stop, no?  Here comes the 2nd stoplight. It died the same way the first one did.  But the best part came when he got the 3rd light.  A Petersburg police officer smiley_policeman was waiting to turn right into Washington.  Bang, he got the 3rd one right in front of the cop.  Pieces and parts all over the cop car.  After that, it was off the races. smiley_horserider  But before he could catch him, one more item got in their way and it stopped them both in their tracks.  The railroad bridge over Washington Ave.

Tore the boom completely off the truck, it landed in the middle of the road and the cop car got stopped right on top of the boom.  This was one of those big heavy booms that had the allger, pole clamp and cable hoist all in one. Tore the underside of that cop car up petty good.  The good news was the cop had his seatbelt on and was fine.  The truck driver didn't and had a real bad case of "face in wind shield".

Happened almost 20 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Dave Shepard

Not too long ago one of the many dumpster hualers went up this same road, he had on a low 30 yard container. He dropped it off and hooked onto a 40 yarder. When he went under the bridge, it snapped the one inch cable that is used to pull the box on with and if not for the prudent use of a seatbelt, would have thrown the driver out onto the street.

Dave

Don P

We worked for a safety coordinator for one of the big waste haulers. He got a call one morning early. One of the trucks had snagged a line leaving the industrial park. As he got there John said it unfolded before his eyes. Nobody had coned it yet. A pickup drives by and picks up the cable. It winds around the axle or underbody, he keeps clipping right along. Till he gets to the end of his rope. His rears leave the ground, the cable parts and is flung high into the air. Remember this is the industrial park. The broken telephone cable that was no real danger and worth about 50 bucks wraps around the high tension lines. He said it got right expensive after that  :D.

ScottAR

If one thinks draglines are obsolete, look up stripmine.org.  Ursa major is
the largest currently, although not as big as Big Muskie of OH was.

Anything with a bucket the size of a two car garage can move some
dirt quick. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!