iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what animal/insect leaves a white foam on my lawn in places?

Started by Modat22, May 09, 2007, 02:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I've wondered about this since I was a kid. My grandad always told me snakes did that and I never questioned him. Well while walking around my yard I see 50 or more foamy spots and it got me wondering again.
remember man that thy are dust.

Radar67

I was told the same thing as a kid, and have wondered about it since.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

caz

Tom

There are insects that create a foamy looking stuff on grass, leaves, etc. where they lay eggs or hide.   Look up Spittlebug.

treebucker

Snakes?  :D Your grandads ougth to be ashamed. smiley_whip smiley_ignore

Tom's right. smiley_smug01

Now if someone could just tell me what those tiny little green bugs were that landed on my knuckle and elbow while I was mowing hay 3 years back.  They each bit a hole in me that was nearly as big as they were.  Or how about that beetle in the yard below the night light that was 6 times bigger than a tumble bug. smiley_headscratch

BTW - I don't know if you'll find this while looking into them but spittle bugs, for their size, can supposedly out jump any other creature. I don't know how they could jump so high being covered in spit...but it must be true because I saw it on TV.  ???  :D
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Faron

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Slabs

Go out fairly early some morning and pick off one of the foam balls and pry it open and I think the little critter will be inside.  Been a while since I did it but curiosity yields an amazing bank of knowledge.

Let us know what you find,  I'll try to do the same if I fine any again.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Onthesauk

We've got spittle bug out here, they particularly like the straberries.  You can hose them off or mix a little soap and water and spray the foam, breaks it down and exposes the bug.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Tom

Treebucker,
It's just a wild guess, but the beetle you are describing may not be  beetle. If it's what i'm thinking you saw, it's a "Giant Waterbug" or Hemiptera Belostomatidae.   The come out in the summers mostly at night and are attracted to road lamps and parking lot lights.   They can bite too, but usually don't .  They make a fine mount to show off to kids and for kids to take to school.  We have quite a few in the south.  I don't know for sure how far North they live.  :)

treebucker

Quote from: Tom on May 09, 2007, 09:35:41 PM
If it's what i'm thinking you saw, it's a "Giant Waterbug" or Hemiptera Belostomatidae. 

I looked up Hemiptera Belostomatidae - nope. This one had a speckled brown abdomen on top fading to a dull pea green near the bottom. It scared me so I didn't pick it up to get a better look. I guessed it was either and exotic or very rare.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Modat22

remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!